Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8,186

MrWalkman

Headphoneus Supremus
test.png

Hello,

In the "history" of available modifications for non-Android Sony players, there are two types of modifications:

1. Tuning mods - these consist of modifications done to the SWUpdate.xml file (that is located in the files of the Sony firmware updater tool), and they started to appear sometimes around the end of 2019 on some Chinese forums, and then they were brought here at the end of February 2020. You can track down the discussions about this in the locked WM1Z/WM1A thread, as well as in the WM1Z/WM1A modifications thread.
2. Custom firmware - this consists of actual modified firmware, while using the stock SWUpdate.xml file content, and the first occurrence was in around June/July 2020

I created this thread for having a place where we can share feedback about custom firmware for the non-Android Sony players.

You can find all the available firmware modifications done by me on www.mrwalkman.com.

For any kind of questions/issues, feel free to use the contact information available on the website: www.mrwalkman.com/contact

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 8,186
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 8,186
Cool!

Oct 1, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 8,186
way to go, yet again!

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 8,186
great!!

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 8,186
Cool. Great place to share custom firmware!

Sound tune links is >> HERE

Updated 6-1-2021

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 8,186
I don't know what will become of the old thread, perhaps it had already run it's course, but I'm thrilled you started this thread. I think towards the end your mods were the most value I got out of it anyway - onwards and upwards.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 8,186
I don't know what will become of the old thread, perhaps it had already run it's course, but I'm thrilled you started this thread. I think towards the end your mods were the most value I got out of it anyway - onwards and upwards.

Well, it will remain as a place to discuss any other things related to the players. Let's not talk about it here, to avoid any kind of issue. Thanks :)

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 8,186
Oct 1, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 8,186
Oct 1, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 8,186
To me, that bass and that soundstage holography and extension is just amazing!
Ditto. Exactly what I am and was experiencing for about 10 days since I started testing this. And the addition of native DSD over 3.5mm is awesome as well. The difference can be heard with an immediate AB test. Bass becomes more visceral and much more defined and dsd files now sounds a bit louder than before. This is probably due to the fact that the dsd now doesn’t have to down convert to PCM anymore and hence the full resolution and volume being heard better over 3.5mm. Brilliant breakthrough by @MrWalkman

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 8,186
Ditto. Exactly what I am and was experiencing for about 10 days since I started testing this. And the addition of native DSD over 3.5mm is awesome as well. The difference can be heard with an immediate AB test. Bass becomes more visceral and much more defined and dsd files now sounds a bit louder than before. This is probably due to the fact that the dsd now doesn’t have to down convert to PCM anymore and hence the full resolution and volume being heard better over 3.5mm. Brilliant breakthrough by @MrWalkman
You'll benefit from this no doubt using your K5 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back