Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 3, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #4,426 of 8,186
Is there a way to disable battery charge while using it as usb dac with a phone? It drains the phone battery really fast and i didn't find any option to disable this from the phone. Maybe rockbox app has something?

it’s under USB DAC settings on the Walkman. I have it turned off as it tries to draw too much power from an iPhone and won’t connect

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #4,429 of 8,186
i am surprised people are just learning about E it was always the choice for me it has that sparkle i like
I like E, it’s feels cleaner, a little faster, give feelings akin to more of live performance, and bonus, string instrument like guitar seems to wail more. Mids eg: vocals feel a bit dry, less echoes, less emotional compared to J. I think J has better mids, emotional connection but feels smoothed out/ glossed all over. I guess J feels safe with all genres. I think I need to spend more time to hear E.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,430 of 8,186
I've had another great day with @MrWalkman 's firmware upgrade, so much so, i'm on my 7th continuous album since this afternoon.
What never ceases to amaze me & wonderfully confirmed with today's listening session is the clarity, detail, but absolutely no harshness in the highs. I kind of expect it to happen somewhere, but it doesn't, thankfully !
I'm listening using my ZX300 / Sony Z1R's with upgraded cable, not forgetting the download that @MrWalkman sent to me, which was the "unofficial" Midnight / Day download, so to speak, for the ZX300. I haven't looked on his website, recently, but don't think there has been an official release for this, yet, although he said at the time it would be released in days ??
Regardless, i'm just SO happy with my DAP listening experience now. ( I listen to Plus - which i think is the best....but every download has been good. )

Apr 4, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #4,432 of 8,186
I like E, it’s feels cleaner, a little faster, give feelings akin to more of live performance, and bonus, string instrument like guitar seems to wail more. Mids eg: vocals feel a bit dry, less echoes, less emotional compared to J. I think J has better mids, emotional connection but feels smoothed out/ glossed all over. I guess J feels safe with all genres. I think I need to spend more time to hear E.
That's what I've come to conclude J is tuned very "safely" too safely at times, The region is warm yet can lack some dynamics as it always plays in the school yard, E bunks off, takes more risk and pushes the envelope further, right to the limit of the hardware.

Mid's on E to me are fine, true they don't have the warmth of J, equally not clouded/smoothed. E is generally more visceral, exciting and engaging. No doubt genre/taste comes in to account, I too agree with @matevan that there is a lot more going on than just a simple EQ profile for the regional differences.

I find that E with CFW is a really good solution, DMP-WM1 FEv2 is superb as the HW & SW deliver as the track demands; if bass is called for E & FEv2 will deliver, if not the combination will not overly colour the music.

Q-6

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #4,434 of 8,186
Hi folks. Haven't read all the post but let me ask. I have sony nw a55 and in default firmware you have two modes - Music and Language learning. I am have a lot of audiobooks that I want to lister with the player and some books I want to listen on 1.x speed. There is no way to increase speed for music listening bit there is a way to increase speed in language learning mode. But in language learning mode there is no folders support, only playlists, artist, year etc. I wonder if this feature available in custom firmware and if I can get ability to increase playback speed and folder selection at the same time.
Thanks!

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #4,435 of 8,186
connecting today my wm1a as a dac, to work on digital mastering, I noticed that the sound is better, both from the point of view of the opening of the sound, from the volume and from the separation of the sound, compared to the classic listening on the walkman.
Is this a strange thing of mine or does this really exist? Dac mode with the cable.
can it depend on the pc drivers? on the software used?

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #4,436 of 8,186
probably it would depend if the software processes the content of the stream. if the transfer is bit perfect, it should depend on the dac only. but that's in theory, in practice, most of the systems apply some processing to the source of the track. i use wm1a as dac for my android smartphone on which i run uapp with bit perfect mode on.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #4,437 of 8,186
Hi folks. Haven't read all the post but let me ask. I have sony nw a55 and in default firmware you have two modes - Music and Language learning. I am have a lot of audiobooks that I want to lister with the player and some books I want to listen on 1.x speed. There is no way to increase speed for music listening bit there is a way to increase speed in language learning mode. But in language learning mode there is no folders support, only playlists, artist, year etc. I wonder if this feature available in custom firmware and if I can get ability to increase playback speed and folder selection at the same time.
Thanks!
Hi!

The cfw only changes the sound characteristics… some of the earlier versions were based on other models, which removed some functionalities but added others, what you’re asking seems to be more to do with a change in the source code, which is something that cannot be done.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #4,438 of 8,186
Those who have had experience, which of the sound do you feel most closely resembles the DMP-Z1?

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #4,439 of 8,186
Those who have had experience, which of the sound do you feel most closely resembles the DMP-Z1?
I think the best is DMP-WM1 FEv2, although I'd really need to compare directly with a the DMP-Z1.

Q-6

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #4,440 of 8,186
however, returning to the discourse of the various regions, I am of the idea that there is not one better than the other, because each has its own peculiarity.
I can never find the right compromise; E region has a separation of the instruments and a three-dimensionality superior to all,but it is really crisp, TW has a softer sound and the find it in your face, however with a great separation, but not the resolution that has U or CN, while J is the most exciting.
Now I'm on TW, turning up the equalizer so that I can keep the low gain, because some tracks are recorded at low volume, and even remastering them can't do miracles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back