Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #4,156 of 8,151
Yeah...I agree with your second response to Redcarmoose...a few weeks ago I posted not liking Midnight vs FE2+. But over a week or two, I like Midnight alot more, and find it a bit closer to FE2+ than I thought with slight differences between the two tonality wise. I guess it takes time in all these things. I think the gamechanger with FE2+ among the previous mods was that it was the first, to me, that has a sense of a live, crisp, detailed and "in the room' presence about it that made me stop in my tracks. Finally letting me listen to my music without thinking about other crap and forgetting the world around me--and not nitpicking the 1A's sound compared to newer DAPs. Its a rare feat, because I was about to sell my 1a and upgrade. Since FE2+, its been 'too the moon' with all these latest Mr. Walkman sound flavors.
Midnight + would probably be the best for me. It provides the feeling of listening to live performance but with the added smoothness and analogue. It’s weird because after listening for quite a while, it doesn’t feel dark like Project Z. It feels alive, not dead, not hifi. Yet in terms of technicalities, it’s probably at the top of its game, compared to previous iterations

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #4,157 of 8,151
The whole thing is just to end up happy. Yet we are all too fast to judge. I just went and did a cable and tip change. It’s funny as I have a grip on what’s happening. Still new, I’m listening to an ever so slightly different experience, yet I know in time all will be well. It is waiting the half hour or half day or full day for stuff to align again.

Not only new tips and cable but I’ve also switched to the 1A from the 1Z. So eventually l’ll get there. Not only that but the cable I wanted to use is 3.5mm instead of 4.4mm.

So I’ve changed up three things and actually four if you count the move from Midnight to Midnight Plus. So the tips work on another pair of IEMs with the cable being especially nice with the other IEMs.

It is all just taking time to be confident all will work out. What we do is jump to conclusions where it is actually a game of adaptation, which takes time. It is not about what you just heard as being the end all, end all. It is a fact that we all have to learn to give us credit as to what if. What if the sound that we thought we didn’t like would maybe be “OK” in the end. And to have confidence that was has happened is small changes and that we CAN adapt.
Yeah...I agree with your second response to Redcarmoose...a few weeks ago I posted not liking Midnight vs FE2+. But over a week or two, I like Midnight alot more, and find it a bit closer to FE2+ than I thought with slight differences between the two tonality wise. I guess it takes time in all these things. I think the gamechanger with FE2+ among the previous mods was that it was the first, to me, that has a sense of a live, crisp, detailed and "in the room' presence about it that made me stop in my tracks. Finally letting me listen to my music without thinking about other crap and forgetting the world around me--and not nitpicking the 1A's sound compared to newer DAPs. Its a rare feat, because I was about to sell my 1a and upgrade. Since FE2+, its been 'too the moon' with all these latest Mr. Walkman sound flavors.

But it is also doing 4 changes at once that makes you not know the outcome. You can’t figure out where all the tone changes are from. You actually can’t judge any one thing. Which is good!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #4,158 of 8,151
@MrWalkman was shifting countries.. i hope all is well with him.

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,160 of 8,151
Don’t even remember stock? But it’s generally a thing where the music is more involved and simply.....better. :)

Wider soundstage, more detail, more everything?

It has been a while since I heard stock 3.02.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #4,161 of 8,151
Anyway, I was listening to Sony wireless iem WF-1000XM3 yesterday. It sounds really good, and crystal clear, which really is surprising. Because I remembered it sounded kinda bloated and very warm in the past. It seems the newer firmwares affects sound quality in positive ways. Could this be possible even though connections are just sbc?

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,162 of 8,151
Anyway, I was listening to Sony wireless iem WF-1000XM3 yesterday. It sounds really good, and crystal clear, which really is surprising. Because I remembered it sounded kinda bloated and very warm in the past. It seems the newer firmwares affects sound quality in positive ways. Could this be possible even though connections are just sbc?
The new modded Walkman fw's don't affect BT connections, only what comes out the 3.5 and 4.4 outputs

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #4,164 of 8,151
Heard some news says WM1A production is going to be discontinued.

Get one fast if anyone intending to.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #4,166 of 8,151
image.jpg

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #4,168 of 8,151
Wooooh WM2A coming soon?! Hope they do a Sony Signature Series refresh. Would instantly buy a MDR-Z2R + NW-WM2A. Or get a WM2A and just use that with my coming Denon AH-D9200.
There has been rumors for several years but nothing concrete so dont hold your breath

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #4,169 of 8,151
Wooooh WM2A coming soon?! Hope they do a Sony Signature Series refresh. Would instantly buy a MDR-Z2R + NW-WM2A.
There has been rumors for several years but nothing concrete so dont hold your breath
True. Although, it's been 5 years now. That's a long time for an electronic device like a DAP.

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #4,170 of 8,151

Users who are viewing this thread

Back