Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 12, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #2,881 of 8,216
Actually yes, the soundstage of DMP-WM1 FE is not as wide as on MK2, but it's more around you.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #2,883 of 8,216
I agree, to me it sounds FE+ soundstage is slightly narrower, but Redcarmoose hear differently. I think both are actually right. Maybe it’s the iem itself or the actual songs that create the illusion of different soundstage; meaning FE+ actually reproduce the soundstage faithfully as the songs intended.

That is true, by the way.

The soundstage never sounds overdone, and if a song calls for a big soundstage, you should be able to hear it very well.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,885 of 8,216
Can't wait to hear the difference it brought once again and the potential one step closer to the DMP-Z1.
I'm lucky that I get to have regular listening sessions (once a week for an hour undisturbed) of the DMP-Z1 at the sony show room.
While I'm still amazed by the "perfect sound" it delivers, I'm also wowed by how close FE brought my wm1z to the sound of dmp-z1.
Continue your good work @MrWalkman !! You're the best!!:raised_hands:

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,886 of 8,216
The walkman is pretty easy to read, black background and white nice sized font. Other players like ibasso or fiio that rely on android may be more easy with the talkback screen reader. As I do right now to "tead" head-fi gray background and also dark gray text... I don't see the text, just "blank" background

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,887 of 8,216
Have now spent 4 hours listening to the FE+ fw with my Nayparm modded 1ZA with flac 16/44 files and the IER-Z1R and it is another incremental marvel in MrWalkmans journey. While I find the improvements to get gradually smaller with each step they are certainly there. FE+ is even more euphonic and atmospheric with more controlled bass and slightly more forward mids. I cant really comment on the changes in soundstage as I'm notoriously poor at judging that

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,888 of 8,216
I agree, to me it sounds FE+ soundstage is slightly narrower, but Redcarmoose hear differently. I think both are actually right. Maybe it’s the iem itself or the actual songs that create the illusion of different soundstage; meaning FE+ actually reproduce the soundstage faithfully as the songs intended. Also on some songs, the echoes and reverbs sound awesome.

I’m also using Romi mod 1Z, PW 1960 4 core cable and Fir M5. So our impressions should be more or less close 😁
Have now spent 4 hours listening to the FE+ fw with my Nayparm modded 1ZA with flac 16/44 files and the IER-Z1R and it is another incremental marvel in MrWalkmans journey. While I find the improvements to get gradually smaller with each step they are certainly there. FE+ is even more euphonic and atmospheric with more controlled bass and slightly more forward mids. I cant really comment on the changes in soundstage as I'm notoriously poor at judging that
I find soundstage difficult to compare as recordings can vary so much. Some may be an excellent recording but have a fairly average soundstage whereas other tracks are wrapped around your head. Also, my focus is usually on width and forget about other aspects like height and depth etc.

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #2,889 of 8,216
I find soundstage difficult to compare as recordings can vary so much. Some may be an excellent recording but have a fairly average soundstage whereas other tracks are wrapped around your head. Also, my focus is usually on width and forget about other aspects like height and depth etc.

I think it's best said that you will definitely hear the soundstage if the song calls for it.

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,890 of 8,216
No, other frequencies are not more forward, it’s quite obvious in my setup that sub-bass quantity is reduced. But perhaps with other setups it will be different. After all, it all depends on the synergy.
After listening to a few tracks with a lot of low end I might also have experienced a reduction in the sub bass, although I'd have to go back to FE to confirm.

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #2,891 of 8,216
Currently waiting for a 1Z Nayparm modded Walkman that is coming on my way, hopefully it gets here till the end of the week, and it seems that we will also have a new FE version!!
Good times ahead!

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #2,892 of 8,216
Happy to test the new version of FE+

The first thing I noticed is that the bass has definitely changed.
It really looks like it has become slightly less of the lowest bass and has increased its speed, but due to this, control of the entire lower segment has increased. This part of the lowest bass provides the foundation for all drums, but at the same time it can add a little shroud and hum for dynamic headphones that are slower than BA.
Since I use EQ a lot, this is not a problem for me. I can still add this to the amount I want and the sound is even more delicious now. But I'm not sure that all users using the direct mod may equally love it. This may have a different effect depending on the cable and headphones. In addition, this register contains sounds that largely determine the depth of space. So I think a little more bass is needed. But at least it sounds natural and organic, which is good news.

I still can't notice what exactly has changed in the middle and high frequencies. I can hear that the entire musical space has slightly decreased in width, but at the same time there is more air inside. The readability of all sounds has improved and probably the extension of the sounds has expanded the sound space. These are positive changes for the sake of what is commonly called holographic, I guess. Now I perceive everything as crystal clear.

Yes, I am ready to love it only for this new crystal clear space. It is very similar to using a new cable with the same sonic signature, but with higher quality materials.

Sorry for possible syntax errors, I am using translator.

My next thanks to MrWalkman and a low bow for his tireless labors.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,893 of 8,216
Happy to test the new version of FE+

The first thing I noticed is that the bass has definitely changed.
It really looks like it has become slightly less of the lowest bass and has increased its speed, but due to this, control of the entire lower segment has increased. This part of the lowest bass provides the foundation for all drums, but at the same time it can add a little shroud and hum for dynamic headphones that are slower than BA.
Since I use EQ a lot, this is not a problem for me. I can still add this to the amount I want and the sound is even more delicious now. But I'm not sure that all users using the direct mod may equally love it. This may have a different effect depending on the cable and headphones. In addition, this register contains sounds that largely determine the depth of space. So I think a little more bass is needed. But at least it sounds natural and organic, which is good news.

I still can't notice what exactly has changed in the middle and high frequencies. I can hear that the entire musical space has slightly decreased in width, but at the same time there is more air inside. The readability of all sounds has improved and probably the extension of the sounds has expanded the sound space. These are positive changes for the sake of what is commonly called holographic, I guess. Now I perceive everything as crystal clear.

Yes, I am ready to love it only for this new crystal clear space. It is very similar to using a new cable with the same sonic signature, but with higher quality materials.

Sorry for possible syntax errors, I am using translator.

My next thanks to MrWalkman and a low bow for his tireless labors.
You have great understanding of improvement to FE+ 👍

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #2,895 of 8,216
Sony disappointed us eagerly waiting for some miracle as CES for Walkman lovers. Sigh
Has anyone come across a USB-C to WM-Port adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back