Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #2,446 of 8,209
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #2,447 of 8,209
You just need to run them with the player connected to the USB, and Mass Storage mode enabled.

There is no mention of them needing to be moved to the player's storage, in the instructions on the website.

Thanks! I have been to the website, if this is the one you are referring to (mrwalkman.ml) but I must be blind I guess, can’t find the instructions, more than where it says in what order the files must be flashed.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #2,449 of 8,209
Reading is a fundamental ability 😉 can't get anywhere in the world without it

There are no terms and conditions anyway, only a disclaimer.

If "terms and conditions" are referring to donations, they are entirely optional, as I always said.

Thanks! I have been to the website, if this is the one you are referring to (mrwalkman.ml) but I must be blind I guess, can’t find the instructions, more than where it says in what order the files must be flashed.

Yeah, there is nothing else because that's all that is there for it.

Screenshot_20201204-072312_Chrome.jpg

I assumed that I don't need to specifically say "Instructions", as "Installation" and "To revert to the stock firmware", following by steps, are an enough clue that they are instructions. :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,451 of 8,209

If "terms and conditions" are referring to donations, they are entirely optional, as I always said.

That's true. Besides, your disclaimer is literally one paragraph long - even the portion about the stupid Windows Defender fake trojan problem is longer :wink:

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #2,452 of 8,209

Yeah, there is nothing else because that's all that is there for it.

I assumed that I don't need to specifically say "Instructions", as "Installation" and "To revert to the stock firmware", following by steps, are an enough clue that they are instructions. :)

Gotcha! It’s clear enough :), just wanted to make sure I was doing it right!

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,453 of 8,209
Honestly, the disclaimer is written pretty good.

Disclaimer

You are using/installing any software/firmware found on this website at your own risk. I shall not be held responsible for anything that can happen to your device as a result of you doing these modifications to it.

Thanks for understanding.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #2,454 of 8,209
After some longt listening sessions i must say that DMP Final Edition is the best Sony DAP i've ever heard. To be honest it is the best sounding DAP i've ever heard :beyersmile:

But i am wondering how it would compare to a full size desktop amp. Does anyone compared it to some desktop amp/dacs?

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,455 of 8,209
I don't use it because it has always been slow and clunky even on my latest 2019 PC. The older Media Go application works much better. I do use it to manage my music collection (tags, album art, etc), build playlists and keep them synced up every time I connect the Walkman.
Yea, that app always is super slow and freezes often

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,456 of 8,209
Have now been comparing the ZX300 DMP mod with WM1Z stock for a short while. I have to say Im really impressed! The DMP300 sounds very close signature wise to the stock WM1Z. What the 1Z still have over the DMP300 though is its more effortless, fluid and more expansive presentation if that makes any sense. When coming from the DMP300 to the 1Z its almost like being allowed to breath again after being forced to hold your breath for awhile.

But that the DMP300 even comes close doesnt say a little! Cant wait to test the DMP mod on my 1Z!

Thanks MrWalkman!

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,457 of 8,209
Have now been comparing the ZX300 DMP mod with WM1Z stock for a short while. I have to say Im really impressed! The DMP300 sounds very close signature wise to the stock WM1Z. What the 1Z still have over the DMP300 though is its more effortless, fluid and more expansive presentation if that makes any sense. When coming from the DMP300 to the 1Z its almost like being allowed to breath again after being forced to hold your breath for awhile.

But that the DMP300 even comes close doesnt say a little! Cant wait to test the DMP mod on my 1Z!

Thanks MrWalkman!

This sounds much like my experience with DMP-A50R FE vs DMP-WM1 FE.

On the WM1A everything is much more relaxed. I'm attributing this to the much more capable hardware.

However, I had lots of fun listening to the modded A55 with my Shure SE846 IEMs.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #2,458 of 8,209
This sounds much like my experience with DMP-A50R FE vs DMP-WM1 FE.

On the WM1A everything is much more relaxed. I'm attributing this to the much more capable hardware.

However, I had lots of fun listening to the modded A55 with my Shure SE846 IEMs.

Yes that is also my feeling but the A55 with the R FE fw and my old JH13 ciem is a really good combination that I could happily have used as the main rig, it's just in direct comparison to my modded 1Z that the differences stand out

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #2,459 of 8,209
Currently installing on a NW-A55

"If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. You can change it to any other region, using the destination tool."

Does that mean I have to convert it back to J region once I install the firmware, or is that saying it will only be U in name and J in functionality? Or U temporarily and then reverts back to J?

Apologies if this has been answered

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #2,460 of 8,209
Currently installing on a NW-A55

"If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. You can change it to any other region, using the destination tool."

Does that mean I have to convert it back to J region once I install the firmware, or is that saying it will only be U in name and J in functionality? Or U temporarily and then reverts back to J?

Apologies if this has been answered

It will just be changed to U for DMP-A50R FE, as there is a factory reset being done automatically, in order to avoid the Japanese language that cannot be changed.

So yes, you would have to change it back to J yourself afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back