Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,431 of 8,209
Take a chill pill, I already stated that I won't get into the details of this. Starting to panic around here about it, won't do anything.

This is really the last time I'm answering to one of your posts. Most of the times you seem to try searching for drama, which you mentioned you like, and I don't have time for that.

Hey no drama, man. Where is this all coming from? You have said nothing but kind things about me and my posts (not in ironic ways.) You was extremely open to opposing views and opinions. I have an indebted to your gratitude, knowledge and superb firmware. By any chance is anyone else allowed to post their own modded firmware? Or is just yours. I do recall there were others on the old thread that you said were “wrong” and had issues and wasn’t silent about that we’re back and forth pages long. Yea that drama I enjoyed. Haha

Are measurements a trigger for you. Or attempting to measure things an issue for you. Please let me know where this all coming from??

Ps my username is a lyric from Radiohead song The Tourist. Never once asked how your modded firmware works. Check the thread. Not once. “Drama” I didn’t saying it a twisted way like you are interpreting nor can I walk on eggshells because you might be offended! :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #2,432 of 8,209
@MrWalkman You should have a disclaimer for your FW... "No questions asked... take it or leave it!" :smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Heck, I did just that, it sounded so awesome that I was dumbfounded enough to not want any answers. I mean I would like to know what is happening under the hood for the sake of my curiosity but having said that I want to add that this curiosity is not coming from doubt but amazement. I think people are just curious and once they understand you don't want to talk about it (which is absolutely understandable) they back off. It's all in good spirit I reckon. Once again thank you very much.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #2,433 of 8,209
Here’s the official Demo by Sony of 360 Reality Audio for anyone who like to try it out! You will need to use headphones to hear the difference. Personally believe high res files make a difference even with this.

Here’s another official one by Sony it’s pretty rad!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #2,434 of 8,209
I'm really late to the game! I have been using Chameleon firmware with my WM1A (switched to WM1Z) and haven't been keeping up with firmware news ever since the other Sony thread was locked. I'm catching up on this thread, and recently installed the DMP-WM1 FE firmware. Wow... what a huge improvement in sound! I love the more holographic soundstage, better layering, more details, deeper bass, and that lush treble. I'm using the Solaris 2020 with the CFA 4.4mm balanced cable. @MrWalkman is a genius! We are so lucky to have him in this community.

I plan on trying different regions now. I saw some conflicting information about whether to reset the settings after changing the region. The SonyNWDestTool website says "You need to reset the settings on the device to get the modification applied," but I also read that when on region J (the one I plan to try first), resetting will change the language to Japanese. Someone mentioned only a restart is needed (i.e., hold the power button for 8 seconds). Which is the correct method? Reset via Device Settings --> Reset/Format --> Reset All Setting, or simply restart?

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #2,435 of 8,209
I'm really late to the game! I have been using Chameleon firmware with my WM1A (switched to WM1Z) and haven't been keeping up with firmware news ever since the other Sony thread was locked. I'm catching up on this thread, and recently installed the DMP-WM1 FE firmware. Wow... what a huge improvement in sound! I love the more holographic soundstage, better layering, more details, deeper bass, and that lush treble. I'm using the Solaris 2020 with the CFA 4.4mm balanced cable. @MrWalkman is a genius! We are so lucky to have him in this community.

I plan on trying different regions now. I saw some conflicting information about whether to reset the settings after changing the region. The SonyNWDestTool website says "You need to reset the settings on the device to get the modification applied," but I also read that when on region J (the one I plan to try first), resetting will change the language to Japanese. Someone mentioned only a restart is needed (i.e., hold the power button for 8 seconds). Which is the correct method? Reset via Device Settings --> Reset/Format --> Reset All Setting, or simply restart?

Just restart

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2,436 of 8,209
Someone mentioned only a restart is needed (i.e., hold the power button for 8 seconds). Which is the correct method? Reset via Device Settings --> Reset/Format --> Reset All Setting, or simply restart?

Yes! Once you successfully get the message that you changed the destination below it will say something like Reset All Settings and once you do that it will reboot on its own. That’s it, it’s changed.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #2,439 of 8,209
I listen to my Beatles albums in stereo and I prefer them that way.

Cool. I like stereo and cannot lie. But the remasters by Sir George Martin’s son are pretty rad. They blend both the mono and stereo mixes.

I haven’t heard the mono vinyl records though but they use a different needle. Also, many who grew up buying them like to listen to them because it’s how they remembered them to be.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #2,440 of 8,209
Vincent would have loved mono?
iu.jpeg

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #2,442 of 8,209
Hi! Total noob here, was wondering if there are any instructions for installing the DMP mods? Do I just run the exe’s in windows with player connected via USB? Or do the exe’s go onto the players storage?

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #2,443 of 8,209
Hi! Total noob here, was wondering if there are any instructions for installing the DMP mods? Do I just run the exe’s in windows with player connected via USB? Or do the exe’s go onto the players storage?

Instructions are on the website

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #2,444 of 8,209

You just need to run them with the player connected to the USB, and Mass Storage mode enabled.

There is no mention of them needing to be moved to the player's storage, in the instructions on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back