Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2,146 of 8,210
There are no sound signature changes between destination, other than CEW and CEW2 which are volume (and on some devices) pressure capped. All other destinations share the same tuning on respective devices. Everything else is the placebo effect.

If you want a decent destination setting, set E or E2, those are used (depending on the model) for the international/tourist/overseas versions sold in Japan, they will not sound any different from the J destination.
You are 3000 pages behind and it doesn’t help you in any way, if you can’t prove your bold statement. As other have stated too, there’s something wrong with your hearing. I don’t believe for a second that you even tried yourself! please move along!

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,147 of 8,210
As I have said:
1. Human ears are NOT objective measurement and are subjected to the placebo effect.
2. I don't care if you believe my claims or not, feel free to look at UPG files yourself, why should I spend hours on detailing how to unpack, diassemble and look into those firmware, I am not paid for this, if you want this done, nobody is stopping you, I don't care about proving any of this to you.
3. Feel free to prove me wrong, rent a scope, do actual measurements, and report any significant differences (variarions outside of the margin of error).

I am done arguing this because this is getting utterly riddiculous.
I honest think you are! Stop yourself, mr.Troll

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,148 of 8,210
There are no sound signature changes between destination, other than CEW and CEW2 which are volume (and on some devices) pressure capped. All other destinations share the same tuning on respective devices. Everything else is the placebo effect.

If you want a decent destination setting, set E or E2, those are used (depending on the model) for the international/tourist/overseas versions sold in Japan, they will not sound any different from the J destination.
This one maked me laugh so hard haha plascebo.. you are very right and also firmware does not affect sound and also there are aliens planning to invade earth very soon... and apocalipse maybe so near... and Mario Bros. is real couse there is a movie about it.. go watch it!

placebo-presentation-9-638.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,150 of 8,210
I've put Mathieulh on my ignore list since he provides zero value.

Nov 23, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,151 of 8,210
About 1:

In regards to this specific argument, it is not about saying "This destination J or E or whatever sounds better than XYZ" it's about proving, through measurement, the sound in destination J (or E or whatever) is different from the sound in destination XYZ)

Ie. We don't care about the quality of the sound signature here, just whether the sound in both destinations, using the same equipment, is identical (margin of error notwithstanding) or not. (you compare both curves and see if you have a match, it's as simple as that). It has nothing to do with how each curve sounds or if one sounds better than the other, since the first step is to find whether or not both curves are different in the first place (that's what the argument is all about).

This can 100% be measured.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your assertion, but your reasoning would also mean that there is no difference in sound for different makes/models of DACs/DAPs/amps since they all measure flat FR curves and measured distortion is beyond human hearing. If you are trying to be helpful, then perhaps go to other threads where people are spending thousands on "upgraded" DACs and/or amps and convince them they are throwing away their hard earned dollars. Or better yet, there are numerous threads on the benefit of expensive cables. If you're lucky you may even get a manufacturer's rep to debate you. I think that would be far more rewarding of your time.

The folks here are simply enjoying a free firmware modification that a member worked on with no intention of profiting from it. I'm sure there are some folks who tried the mod and like you, can't hear a difference. They just have enough class to not publicly ridicule or criticize someone's hard work that is given away for free.

Now, those companies that are profit driven are absolutely fair game for scrutiny, with a higher intensity proportional to how much they are asking you to pay.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #2,153 of 8,210
Is 13 - 14 hours plus 1 bar a reasonable expectation for battery life on the Z1? I think I'm one of the very few 1A/1Z owners who doesn't use the players in a mobile application.I use them both at home,so I've never really worried about battery life.I only really took notice during long listening sessions on the 1Z with FE! Thanks.
Among the 13-14 hours, 50% is playing DSD64, 25% hi-res FLAC, 25% red book FLAC. IMO it is acceptable. If I only play red book FLAC, then the play time will be longer.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,154 of 8,210
Not agreeing or disagreeing with your assertion, but your reasoning would also mean that there is no difference in sound for different makes/models of DACs/DAPs/amps since they all measure flat FR curves and measured distortion is beyond human hearing. If you are trying to be helpful, then perhaps go to other threads where people are spending thousands on "upgraded" DACs and/or amps and convince them they are throwing away their hard earned dollars. Or better yet, there are numerous threads on the benefit of expensive cables. If you're lucky you may even get a manufacturer's rep to debate you. I think that would be far more rewarding of your time.

The folks here are simply enjoying a free firmware modification that a member worked on with no intention of profiting from it. I'm sure there are some folks who tried the mod and like you, can't hear a difference. They just have enough class to not publicly ridicule or criticize someone's hard work that is given away for free.

Now, those companies that are profit driven are absolutely fair game for scrutiny, with a higher intensity proportional to how much they are asking you to pay.
That's not what I have stated. What I have said is that for any given walkman model (for example, the nw-zx300).

There are no different sound profiles (in the firmware itself) that are tied to specific destinations (the name Sony uses for regions) for instance destinations E and J would sound absolutely identical on a specific device.

The only destinations with specific/different profiles are CEW and CEW2. I even mentioned how to unpack UPG files and see it for yourselves, or how to use a scope to accurately measure this difference (or lack thereof) with actual data (and not "I can hear it!" nonsense).

I never stated that MrWalkman's firmware doesn't sound different or add a different sound signature to devices, nor have I stated that a walkman model doesn't sound different from another.

In otherword, don't put words to my mouth.

Of course some have claimed otherwise, writing such utter nonsense as :
some of us have better hearing than the existing scientific instruments can measure.

Most would rather trust the placebo effect than science, this is appalling to say the least, apparently there are a bunch of elitist people browsing this forum (I am not specifically talking about you) who believe to be always right even when presented with sound arguments and evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2,156 of 8,210
That's not what I have stated. What I have said is that for any given walkman model (for example, the nw-zx300).

There are no different sound profiles (in the firmware itself) that are tied to specific destinations (the name Sony uses for regions) for instance destinations E and J would sound absolutely identical on a specific device.

The only destinations with specific/different profiles are CEW and CEW2. I even mentioned how to unpack UPG files and see it for yourselves, or how to use a scope to accurately measure this difference (or lack thereof) with actual data (and not "I can hear it!" nonsense).

I never stated that MrWalkman's firmware doesn't sound different or add a different sound signature to devices, nor have I stated that a walkman model doesn't sound different from another.

In otherword, don't put words to my mouth.

I definitely have misquoted you if your only intent was debating the merits of changing regions within a given model. I just thought it was a lot more given how much time and response you and others have put into the last few pages of this thread.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,157 of 8,210

and how knoledgable information.... any other fake tip? E2 has slight reverb on it while J does not so this is pure miss dirección.. wil add to ignore as well...

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #2,158 of 8,210
I just thought it was a lot more given how much time and response you and others have put into the last few pages of this thread.

Honestly it's surprising that this is still going on considering that he flatly refused my asking him to document his findings to support his claim beyond "I have analysed, trust me", stating that he didn't have the time and/or had better things to do. At this point more time has been invested in arguing with folks than actually extending knowledge about Walkmen.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,159 of 8,210
Most would rather trust the placebo effect than science, this is appalling to say the least, apparently there are a bunch of elitist people browsing this forum (I am not specifically talking about you) who believe to be always right even when presented with sound arguments and evidence to the contrary.
Science is not full proof too. If not why are there science discovery? When something need to discover means a lot theory have not been proven. Not all can be measured currently.

What's your setup for your measurement of placebo effect anyway?
Can placebo be measured?

Placebo or not, you need survey of significant number of people to proof your this placebo theory instead of your opinion alone.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,160 of 8,210
The only destinations with specific/different profiles are CEW and CEW2.

I can tell you 100% that those are just volume tables. I'm also hearing changes to the sound signature depending on the region.

For example, the J region sounds the most balanced of all, and its value is 0x00000000. Other regions have different values. For example, CN is 0x00000004, while MX3 (LA in the firmware itself) is 0x00000306, and these values are used when initializing the DAC. There are some additional regions in the destination tool that are not "coded" in the firmware for these newer devices anymore, yet they still produce changes. While using one of these other regions, the firmware will default to the J region, while the changes in sound are still there, as the region's value is used when initializing the DAC.

I am certain that my hearing is really good, and the changes in the sound are 100% there. Without trying to brag, my ears are really trained from some years of experience as a choir singer, even participating in some out of country competitions - my point with this is that it was not just some small/unprofessional thing.

So the fact that the region's value is used to initialize the DAC, with the other fact that the guy who developed the destination tool confirmed that he noticed different settings in the sound driver when doing reverse engineering, plus the fact that I can actually hear changes, leads me to a pretty strong conclusion that there is no placebo effect.

Of course, these are only some facts, and my experience, so it's fine if you don't agree with me.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back