Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,056 of 8,217
The veiled treble could be your IEMs as I don't have that issue as the only difference between you and me are the IEMs.
Thank you, but what's wrong with the cable and IEM's that I have? :) To my ears, they tell/show a CLEAR difference in the treble area, that can be improved. If it wasn't mentioned, then I will let you know that I have tried them all (regions) and have tried all FW's since page 8 in the original Sony wm-nw1 tread, so I do feel confident in judging the (small) differences in sound. But if truths to be told, then is properly my old ears! They used to be "golden ears", so even degraded in conception, I still hear most of what I'm not getting! Comes with great experience! The FE firmware from the great Mr.Walkman is above fantastic and I was just wondering if the final tweak could be hidden in some region upgrade! I highly recommend this tread as a daily go-to place if you have a Sony Walkman. It just keeps on giving. And again, thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,058 of 8,217
Thank you, but what's wrong with the cable and IEM's that I have? :) Too my ears, they tell/show a CLEAR difference in the treble area, that can be improved. If it wasn't mentioned, then I will let you know that I have tried them all (regions) and have tried all FW's since page 8 in the original Sony wm-nw1 tread, so I do feel confident in judging the (small) differences in sound. But if truths to be told, then is properly my old ears! They used to be "golden ears", so even degraded in conception, I still hear most of what I'm not getting! Comes with great experience! The FE firmware from the great Mr.Walkman is above fantastic and I was just wondering if the final tweak could be hidden in some region upgrade! I highly recommend this tread as a daily go-to place if you have a Sony Walkman. It just keeps on giving. And again, thank you!
I enjoyed the clearer and airier persentation of CN region more than the warmer, darker J region. Have you given that region a go?

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,059 of 8,217
Does the FE firmware on the 1Z use a lot of battery life? It's not really an issue for me as I use the player at home.My music files are AIFF rips from CDs,I understand file formats are a whole other issue, subject,etc..I'm simply curious, battery levels seem to drop pretty rapidly after not much use.Thanks!
I am also using WM1Z, battery usage pretty much the same. I recharged once in 5 days, listening time is around 15 hours, with almost half is DSD64, else is 24,96 FLAC and red book FLAC.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,061 of 8,217
I enjoyed the clearer and airier persentation of CN region more than the warmer, darker J region. Have you given that region a go?
go 3.00 CN last night i tested it it has better res than MX3 better bass and its airier and very natural wide staging! only real problem are the forward mids.. that cant be tamed

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,062 of 8,217
go 3.00 CN last night i tested it it has better res than MX3 better bass and its airier and very natural wide staging! only real problem are the forard mids.. that cant be tamed

And that it for some users is buggy. On my 1Z it constantly crashed the player, the only fw ever to do that

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #2,063 of 8,217
Thank you, but what's wrong with the cable and IEM's that I have? :) To my ears, they tell/show a CLEAR difference in the treble area, that can be improved. If it wasn't mentioned, then I will let you know that I have tried them all (regions) and have tried all FW's since page 8 in the original Sony wm-nw1 tread, so I do feel confident in judging the (small) differences in sound. But if truths to be told, then is properly my old ears! They used to be "golden ears", so even degraded in conception, I still hear most of what I'm not getting! Comes with great experience! The FE firmware from the great Mr.Walkman is above fantastic and I was just wondering if the final tweak could be hidden in some region upgrade! I highly recommend this tread as a daily go-to place if you have a Sony Walkman. It just keeps on giving. And again, thank you!
I didn't say anything about your cables as I also have the DHC Clone Silver which I call the resolution beast as it shows everything that the player can produce.Using the Clone Silver balanced with the Solaris SE or 2020 on my 1Z Region J the highs are present and detailed. Some of the previous versions of the firmware the highs were harsh and strident at times. In FE they are now smooth and velvety.

So it's either your IEM is not producing the highs properly or your "old ears" not hearing them. These old hears hear them fine on my Solaris SE or 2020.

I will commend MrWalkman for this Final Edition as they are the pinnacle and take the 1A/Z to the peak in performance.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,064 of 8,217
go 3.00 CN last night i tested it it has better res than MX3 better bass and its airier and very natural wide staging! only real problem are the forard mids.. that cant be tamed
CN is aimed at the Chinese market and a specific genre; massively boosts resolution right through the mid's to the peak of the treble, bumps up the sub bass at the end. You'll know if your on the right region for your taste as you wont be reaching for the EQ. CN with the localised music is indeed pleasing, with other genres it can sound rather shrill...

Q-6

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,065 of 8,217
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2,066 of 8,217
Looks like region discussion are the order of the day again, been a while since we had this phase. Anyway here goes, i love my bass. I’m not a bass head but love deep, full sounding bass and mids. Before the introduction of any of these firmwares, i was rocking out on my original E region and had to use the bass dials to get to my desired listening taste. Then tunings arrived and everyone jumped onto the bandwagon of tinkering with the walkmans and also changing regions where J was always the most talked abut and most popular region. I switched to J then and fast forward 8 months, never looked back. I have tinkered with almost all the regions and even yesterday I tried CA with FE. Sounded ok but after a while the mid bass hump was gettting too much for me and i went back to J and realised why i stayed on it all this while. So, in summary CA gives you a very artificially hyped up bass that gets too much after long listening. You will notice that the bass gets in the way sooner rather than later. J instead gives you a natural feeling of musicality yet not sacrificing the deep and well refined bass on FE. Try it, it’s only 10 seconds to hear the difference and another 10 seconds to change it back.
Still remember the days where we were butting heads with regards to the effects of each region and back then we only had the chinese made fws lol!

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,067 of 8,217
I would love to have the veiled treble removed/improved in region J. Is that even possible Mr.Walkman? Been trying all the regions and they all seem to lack something different places. Region seem to me to have the best all round sound. But the treble sound on J can be improved!
Which of your iems does it sound veiled with? Fourte or encore? I can confidently say its not the cable since i have the exact same, symbiote 19 elite :D

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,069 of 8,217
CN is aimed at the Chinese market and a specific genre; massively boosts resolution right through the mid's to the peak of the treble, bumps up the sub bass at the end. You'll know if your on the right region for your taste as you wont be reaching for the EQ. CN with the localised music is indeed pleasing, with other genres it can sound rather shrill...

Q-6
I prefer CN over J on every genre and my gear is on the very detailed end of the spectrum.

Perhaps because of its resolution it reveals flaws in our gear rather than smoothing it over?

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #2,070 of 8,217
I prefer CN over J on every genre and my gear is on the very detailed end of the spectrum.

+1

I am sensitive to the veiled highs on many regions with the exception of CN and possibly E. After being on CN for close to a year, I recently switched back to J after installing Mr Walkman's latest FW. After two days of listening I went back to CN.

If you listen to a track with isolated cymbals or hand claps, the veiled regions sound "Tizzy" compared to CN which is more effortless. The veil however can sound less shrill with less than perfect recordings, which is why many describe it as more balanced. It may come down to the way the brain interprets (high) frequencies, your tolerance, etc. .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back