Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 10, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,486 of 8,216
My first experience with an IEM were the Samsung S8's "tuned by AKG" IEMs. They use two dynamic drivers, and it was wonderful to hear so many details.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #1,487 of 8,216
That’s why Top Notch Gear is often called “My Endgame.”
Someone could simply buy one IEM instead of four $400 IEMs and retire from Head-Fi........as long as they really liked it.

Those $400 IEMs add up quick. But in many ways we all become that crazy cat lady down the street with 30 cats all living in her living room. :)

Absolutely right. I was that person! Lol.... kicked myself in the butt for a little bit. Crazy cat lady for sure.... It’s good to know that we aren’t alone in our habits! Haha

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,488 of 8,216
Absolutely right. I was that person! Lol.... kicked myself in the butt for a little bit. Crazy cat lady for sure.... It’s good to know that we aren’t alone in our habits! Haha

We are all guilty.
:)
C9F04C54-C2D2-41FC-B96E-0CDAE3B17E93.jpeg

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #1,489 of 8,216
Perhaps the XBA-Z5 are these cheap (used) end-game... that what I had thought until the IER-Z1R came along 1.5 year ago.

Funny you mentioned this as I was thinking of posting the same thing. Also this week I know of two who just picked up the XBA-Z5. In some ways it’s still it’s own thing that would be of value for what it does. It really is that $500 endgame IEM.

If you simply used it all the time it would be an endearing IEM to own.

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,490 of 8,216
My first experience with an IEM were the Samsung S8's "tuned by AKG" IEMs. They use two dynamic drivers, and it was wonderful to hear so many details.

My first iem was an Etymotics ER4P with the first version of HeadRooms portable amp probably 20-25 years ago. My first headphone was the Sennheiser HD414 that I got in 1976. Earbuds I've never gotten on with

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,491 of 8,216
I really want a $500 IEM to be an endgame reality. It’s an idea I have that there could be these close to perfect $500 IEMs?

I think the industry will get there in the next four years. Where of course there will always be better and better but it kinda seems we are inches away from $500 or $700 endgame mid-fi IEMs.

I definitely wish this was legitimate! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for it one day as well. I honestly think it’s possible now, but I don’t believe that companies are willing give up the profit margin received with the current prices. What do you think will cause the shift for this to be able to happen?

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,492 of 8,216
I definitely wish this was legitimate! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for it one day as well. I honestly think it’s possible now, but I don’t believe that companies are willing give up the profit margin received with the current prices. What do you think will cause the shift for this to be able to happen?
Perhaps Covid caused economic factors? There must be some large scale consequences down the line.
I think he means the companies like FiiO etc are getting better and offering a higher quality product at lower prices rather than companies like Sony or Campfire offering their top tier products at lower prices.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,493 of 8,216
Perhaps Covid caused economic factors? There must be some large scale consequences down the line.
I think he means the companies like FiiO etc are getting better and offering a higher quality product at lower prices rather than companies like Sony or Campfire offering their top tier products at lower prices.
https://campfireaudio.com/shop/io/ this is the Andromeda's little brother.

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,494 of 8,216

I look at it like a progression of value ideas. Meaning in 2014 when the Sony XBA-Z5 came out, they priced it at $600 which was a flagship price. The XBA-Z5 IS pretty close to being endgame for many, though sadly due to fit issues.........it’s not perfect. Sound quality wise it’s again just inches away, in my opinion, needing maybe just slight better midrange and treble excitement? IMO

Then a Chinese company “DUNU” made the Studio SA6 this year coming in at $549. And.....there must be a few more in the $500-$700 range that are very very close to being so good that you don’t need more. I mean this quality level thing is of course all subjective. I’m basically just noticing how they are inches away from what I would consider a perfect $500-$700 IEM. Yes, the same level will be priced higher.....by other companies; but there will be a value company that will gladly offer it to sell volume levels of the products. What I’m saying is I’m guessing it will be some mature tune Chinese made IEM. I could still be totally myopic due to my personal collection and wrong. I mean how does another person get generalizations on what the mass public would even find as endgame sound? Still a sound to me like the XBA-Z5 and the DUNU Studio SA6 combined would maybe be close to perfect.......if not actually perfect..........yet they are coming from two opposite methodologies/directions. But I guess I’m saying for me it seems very close. Obviously I believe that at 2K and up there is already the freedom for folks to find happiness after maybe luck or a year or two of footwork. :)
My first iem was an Etymotics ER4P with the first version of HeadRooms portable amp probably 20-25 years ago. My first headphone was the Sennheiser HD414 that I got in 1976. Earbuds I've never gotten on with

That time frame around 1975-1976 is also when I tried the HD414 too, yet even then I thought the Koss closed backs had better bass, and liked them more due to it. In 76 hilariously everything I had was mono. I had a mono tube amp, and mono headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,495 of 8,216
I look at it like a progression of value ideas. Meaning in 2014 when the Sony XBA-Z5 came out, they priced it at $600 which was a flagship price. The XBA-Z5 IS pretty close to being endgame for many, though sadly due to fit issues.........it’s not perfect. Sound quality wise it’s again just inches away, in my opinion, needing maybe just slight better midrange and treble excitement? IMO

Then a Chinese company “DUNU” made the Studio SA6 this year coming in at $549. And.....there must be a few more in the $500-$700 range that are very very close to being so good that you don’t need more. I mean this quality level thing is of course all subjective. I’m basically just noticing how they are inches away from what I would consider a perfect $500-$700 IEM. Yes, the same level will be priced higher.....by other companies; but there will be a value company that will gladly offer it to sell volume levels of the products. What I’m saying is I’m guessing it will be some mature tune Chinese made IEM. I could still be totally myopic due to my personal collection and wrong. I mean how does another person get generalizations on what the mass public would even find as endgame sound? Still a sound to me like the XBA-Z5 and the DUNU Studio SA6 combined would maybe be close to perfect.......if not actually perfect..........yet they are coming from two opposite methodologies/directions. But I guess I’m saying for me it seems very close. Obviously I believe that at 2K and up there is already the freedom for folks to find happiness after maybe luck or a year or two of footwork. :)

That time frame around 1975-1976 is also when I tried the HD414 too, yet even then I thought the Koss closed backs had better bass, and liked them more due to it. In 76 hilariously everything I had was mono. I had a mono tube amp, and mono headphones.
I support you, z5 could be my end game. Seriously, it’s an amazing iem, im treble sensible so im ok with it, I ordered mdr 800st and ill save for ex1000. Really need to hear what’s all the fuzz about

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #1,496 of 8,216
I support you, z5 could be my end game. Seriously, it’s an amazing iem, im treble sensible so im ok with it, I ordered mdr 800st and ill save for ex1000. Really need to hear what’s all the fuzz about
Bought 2 weeks ago my z5.(coming from 9200 and stellia)
One word: immersive.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,497 of 8,216
Bought 2 weeks ago my z5.(coming from 9200 and stellia)
One word: immersive.

It is special that a 2014 IEM could still bring a quality and be competitive today. It’s kinda in a place all it’s own. IMO

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #1,498 of 8,216
It is special that a 2014 IEM could still bring a quality and be competitive today. It’s kinda in a place all it’s own. IMO
it's a uniqe earphone; it doesn't give you the details that other headphones can give you, but it has an immense soundstage and delicious bass,and unlike over ears the sound is right in your head.(this is my first iem)
yes, there are headphones that technically demolish the z5, but they are choices of listening, and this type of listening with the z5 never tires for my tastes 😄

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #1,499 of 8,216
If you're treble sensitive, I don't think you're gonna enjoy ex1000 without any EQ on your DAP. though bass texture and soundstage is great.

And @MrWalkman I've installed DMP-A40 and found immediate difference on the soundstage, tighter yet better bass, and non metallic/harsh treble from original OS.
Job well done. Thank you sir.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #1,500 of 8,216
Z5 still is , to me, the best IEM i have ever heard. Make no mistake, i have heard the likes of the shures, campfires, dunu, etc. Still love the Z5. It’s musical, engaging, smooth, and quite simply one of the best to grace the earth. I would never look for another as long as i have my Z5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back