Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 30, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,216 of 8,217
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,217 of 8,217
I'll throw in a curveball for you. When you give a non-audio-exposed person 2 flat graphed/sounding in-ears (both having very good and highly acclaimed statuses in the audiophile scene) I can guarantee you they won't notice anything soundwise and instead, they would just go for what looks more appealing to them. Now give the same 2 iems to someone whose been in the audio scene for years, even with a blindfold, they can give you a rough idea (with very good accuracy) as to what the difference is between them. Sure you can say that there's no real computer-generated accuracy but rather we're doing this through our own experiences. Cheers and I hope this helps to your doubts and curiosities.

Now tell me, as an enthusiast, amongst the 2, which would you believe more? :wink:

PS the same can be applied to DAPs.
Maybe like wine, a connoisseur can tell the region, year etc but your everyday Joe would struggle to tell a sauvignon blanc from a reisling, I doubt there is a device that can measure those differences too (?). I think it can apply to anything that you enjoy and put your attention on - your focus zooms in so it expands and the subtle details stand out.
Sure placebo effect etc can warp perception, but generally speaking once you see or hear something you cannot unsee or unhear it.
I guess we don't trust ourselves so we want science (measurements) to make sure we're not being conned but for all the things that can be measured there are so many that can't be eg the complexity of a human body and mind - experiences, memories, emotions, focus, thoughts etc. I'm not putting down science by the way.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,218 of 8,217
I'll throw in a curveball for you. When you give a non-audio-exposed person 2 flat graphed/sounding in-ears (both having very good and highly acclaimed statuses in the audiophile scene) I can guarantee you they won't notice anything soundwise and instead, they would just go for what looks more appealing to them. Now give the same 2 iems to someone whose been in the audio scene for years, even with a blindfold, they can give you a rough idea (with very good accuracy) as to what the difference is between them. Sure you can say that there's no real computer-generated accuracy but rather we're doing this through our own experiences. Cheers and I hope this helps to your doubts and curiosities.

Now tell me, as an enthusiast, amongst the 2, which would you believe more? :wink:

PS the same can be applied to DAPs.
I've actually done some experimentation with this among my friends and family.

DAPs, flac vs mp3 (192kbps+), solid state amps get a sounds similar rating but iems/headphones definitely elicit a wow factor, even when I gave them a plain looking mh755 compared to say a klipsch.

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,219 of 8,217

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,220 of 8,217
Anyone know the steps to install back to stock? I'm trying to change the 1A and keep it stock but keeping the Connect to USB player continues to happen and this is AFTER disabling Defender. Anyone have tips?
To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert (DMP-WM1 MK2), and then close the installer
2. After that, install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning
3. Restart the player

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,221 of 8,217
To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert (DMP-WM1 MK2), and then close the installer
2. After that, install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning
3. Restart the player
And when I try to install it, I still get this:
1604115863936.png

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,223 of 8,217
Did you remember to turn on USB mass storage?
Yup, it's on. I noticed that EVERY time I try to install the stock or new firmware, the status bar CANNOT fill up. Only 20% and it stops. I don't know why. The Defender is turned off and USB Mass Storage is on. I also did Reset/Format and nothing still. I was able to install the stock 3.02, but it still only did 10% of the install bar and now I have this. Seems like a jigsaw puzzle:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,224 of 8,217
Yup, it's on. I noticed that EVERY time I try to install the stock or new firmware, the status bar CANNOT fill up. Only 20% and it stops. I don't know why. The Defender is turned off and USB Mass Storage is on. I also did Reset/Format and nothing still.
I have only used the stock revert for the MK1 before installing the MK2 firmware which was successful on the first attempt.
I might be saying the obvious but just trying to suggest any things that can be easy to overlook: he sometimes updates the packages, have you got the latest? I see you are using the MK2 revert uninstaller, you are definitely on MK2 (not MK1)?
You might have to wait for MrWalkman to see if he can solve your issue.

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #1,225 of 8,217
Yup, it's on. I noticed that EVERY time I try to install the stock or new firmware, the status bar CANNOT fill up. Only 20% and it stops. I don't know why. The Defender is turned off and USB Mass Storage is on. I also did Reset/Format and nothing still. I was able to install the stock 3.02, but it still only did 10% of the install bar and now I have this. Seems like a jigsaw puzzle:

11349983.jpeg
- download MK1
- Install MK1 one more time and ext tuning
- install revert MK1 and ext tuning

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,226 of 8,217

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #1,227 of 8,217
Jesus, how does one get "NW-WM1A" while having DMP-WM1 installed......?

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,228 of 8,217
I'll ask over PM

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #1,229 of 8,217
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #1,230 of 8,217
Nope. I'm ok. Just asking. Go to PM and I'm not panicking

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back