Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #586 of 8,151
As I understand it one is an actually modded fw while the other is a sound tuning. Also they might not have the same goals and preferences, but I assume the tuning can be applied to the modded fw

He's free to take the modded firmware and try creating his own tuning mods.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #587 of 8,151
Wow, this is a fantastic FW update. It’s an clear improvement for the first time, at least to my ears! I have enjoyed all of the previous ones, but they where somehow lacking something. Enjoying it right now and it’s a clear step up in all departments. It’s a keeper. On 1Z, reg. MX3 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻Thank you Mr.Walkman
if you get used to MX3 you will find hard to like DMP sound and also 3.00 elevate that feeling depending IEMS i think new custom fw benefits more from balanced friend and also benefits DIRECT MODE USERS

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #588 of 8,151
As I understand it one is an actually modded fw while the other is a sound tuning. Also they might not have the same goals and preferences, but I assume the tuning can be applied to the modded fw
yes but i think their can be cooperation between them so tehy tailor a sound wich its better via all elements of the SO.. AKA synergy

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #590 of 8,151
yes but i think their can be cooperation between them so tehy tailor a sound wich its better via all elements of the SO.. AKA synergy

People will always want more, anyway.

As I said, he's free to create tuning mods using the custom firmware, of course.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #591 of 8,151
Yessss !! and definitely worth to use
These last weeks, I am trying various options .. till now a THX887 through 4.4mm was the most enjoyable combo with the hard to drive headphones like Heddphone by Hedd.
But, a direct connection of the heddphone to an old powerful speaker's amp like Sony TA-N55ES or even TA-N220 is offering astonishing good sound... very good powerful and clear bass and sub-bass are coming out from a goo amp.
So now :
at home I use the WM1A with 4.4mm output to a Monolith THX887 and XLR4 connection to the Heddphone
at office I use the WM1A with 3.5mm output to a TA-N55ES than speaker's output ro XLR4 where a Z7M2 or Heddphone can be connected

20201009_085822.jpg

On the way (Train/Plane)...I use the WM1A with IER-Z1R (probably the sound reference for everything) or I use my WM1A trough an Oriolus 300B (4.4mm In/Out portable amp) to an Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas (WM1A amp is maybe lacking some little more power with headphones for some DSD).

I often use the LDAC BT receiver on the WM1A, so I connect a Galaxy Z Fold 2 (office) or a XsMax(Home) and I can still use some GEQ/DSEEAI functions for adapting the headphones/earphones to some music. I do it mainly with Qobuz (though I can use a better PEQ with UAPPP).

So the WM1A is really versatile and comfortable. I am not using so much my R6Pro, M9, M11, M500 DAP/Dac as the WM1A is really very good in many situations with DMP-WM1 firmware.
Therefore, I am not sure Sony will produce a new version of the WM1A / WM1Z as for decades they don't do it unless there is a big step forward (like for Playstations). I think it will be difficult for them to do better DAPs than these.
Thanks for sharing, it's great to see you getting a lot of value out of your WM1A in different set ups.

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #592 of 8,151

Hello,

I created this thread for keeping the forum up to date with any releases of custom firmware, and for having a place where we can share feedback.

I will keep this post updated with a list of current firmware mods.

WM1A/WM1Z:

- DMP-WM1

NW-ZX300/A:

- DMP-300

NW-A50Series:

- DMP-A50
- DMP-A50R

Another excellent firmware! Thank you for sharing! Question; is it possible to increase the power output of the 3.5mm jack (60mW) to that of the balanced jack (250 mW) with a custom firmware, or is this purely based on the hardware installed? Thanks again!

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #594 of 8,151
Oct 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #595 of 8,151
As mentioned in on the mod's page:

I selected “reset all settings” but I am still getting the dreaded error message every time I wake up the display on my Sony A55.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #596 of 8,151
I selected “reset all settings” but I am still getting the dreaded error message every time I wake up the display on my Sony A55.

You may have to do a full factory reset. Unfortunately I can't do anything about it. I received the error myself several times, but now everything is ok on my A55.

Good luck.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #597 of 8,151
You may have to do a full factory reset. Unfortunately I can't do anything about it. I received the error myself several times, but now everything is ok on my A55.

Good luck.

The strange thing is I only get that error message if I’ve been using my Sony A55 for a while when I’m walking or exercising and listening to music. When I restart the Sony A55 the error message is gone until I start using it for a while to listen to music then the error message appears. I will try a factory restore and see what happens.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #599 of 8,151
@MrWalkman I did a full factory reset but I still get the error message when I wake the screen while playing music. The error message doesn’t seem to affect the operation or function of my A55. Even though the error message appears my A55 still works perfectly well so maybe I should just ignore the message. It’s just that it’s annoying when the message appears.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #600 of 8,151
@MrWalkman I did a full factory reset but I still get the error message when I wake the screen while playing music. The error message doesn’t seem to affect the operation or function of my A55. Even though the error message appears my A55 still works perfectly well so maybe I should just ignore the message. It’s just that it’s annoying when the message appears.
Have you gone back to the factory firmware? Does the error message appear when running the stock firmware since you pushed the custom firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back