Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #886 of 8,209
Actually both Redcarmoose and you are true. I got kimber cable when I first purchased 1A. It’s true in earlier firmwares kimber cable is muddy. I hated it. However with Mr WAlkman later fw, it has become a monster cable, far outstripping its price. Why? Because the latest fw, especially mk1 fw, clears up the muddyness. Added bonus, actually what made kimber outstanding, is it has one of the best timber, and I don’t say it lightly. It also has the best 3D effect of all cables I have, including PW1960 4 core cable and ALO gold iem 16 core iem cable. I would rate kimber cable as one of the best value iem cable there is. Of course your iem need to be able to take advantage of all this cable has to offer.

Just for perspective I use kimber cable with Romi mod 1Z and EE Phantom, another quite muddy iem. The result is outstanding, clean, layered, 3D and amazeball timber, with appropriate weight notes

I’ll try not to add to the suspense at hand with this new FW release, but it’s a big deal. Primarily the way the firmware pushes the boundaries of where cables and IEMs/headphones can go.

I can only guess this is happening due to there being an underlying extraction of pure detail as well as an unreal level of correct imaging. So it’s like having the best thing ever for a number of cables/IEMs/headphones in your collection.

It’s (I guess) because it’s not using some drastic treble peak or off-kilter reverberated echo to add detail or soundstage? What ever it’s doing is making it like owning a much different device (than before) and the monitoring equipment responds accordingly. Stuff is simply closer and more clear......then as you start to mentally adjust to this new world there is a looking away far off into added distance where soundstage positioning places even more details than were previously guessed. Small bass nuances start to interplay in areas you never knew. Those are also the exciting parts of songs that sound totally natural yet new and wonderful.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #887 of 8,209
I’ll try not to add to the suspense at hand with this new FW release, but it’s a big deal. Primarily the way the firmware pushes the boundaries of where cables and IEMs/headphones can go.

I can only guess this is happening due to there being an underlying extraction of pure detail as well as an unreal level of correct imaging. So it’s like having the best thing ever for a number of cables/IEMs/headphones in your collection.

It’s (I guess) because it’s not using some drastic treble peak or off-kilter reverberated echo to add detail or soundstage? What ever it’s doing is making it like owning a much different device (than before) and the monitoring equipment responds accordingly. Stuff is simply closer and more clear......then as you start to mentally adjust to this new world there is a looking away far off into added distance where soundstage positioning places even more details than were previously guessed. Small bass nuances start to interplay in areas you never knew. Those are also the exciting parts of songs that sound totally natural yet new and wonderful.
Ie Holographic soundstage. My favourite part of the DMP-Z1 sound :)

Come on @MrWalkman ,wheres the DMP-A3X mod :D

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #888 of 8,209
Ie Holographic soundstage. My favourite part of the DMP-Z1 sound :)

Come on @MrWalkman ,wheres the DMP-A3X mod :D
He needs a rest. Just spoke to him earlier. Give the man a break. He deserves it. DMP-WM1 II is well worth waiting for. It’s the best there is, ever! Gives me goosebumps everytime i listen. All recordings sound new and fresh. Details that were not there suddenly appear. Bass lines are so clear and precise that you can sometimes hear the scraping of the fretboards so vividly. It’s amazing and it’s end game worthy.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #889 of 8,209
Edit:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #890 of 8,209
Another happy kimber cable user with MDR-Z1R here 👌
Another happy kimber cable user with EX800ST, sometimes with Andros, nice pairing :D
FB_IMG_1603179217567.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #891 of 8,209
I’m not writing about MK1? I’m sorry, I truly don’t mean to be this way? But once again you have specifically eluded to something you have never heard? Just like the Kimber with the Z7?
Your point being? Its still based on the sound of the DMP-Z1.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #892 of 8,209
The sounds are different. Regardless of what it’s based on, the M2 does improve on things as I previously eluded to.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #893 of 8,209
The sounds are different. Regardless of what it’s based on, the M2 does improve on things as I previously eluded to.
How would you compare MK1 and MK2 to the DMP-Z1 btw?

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #894 of 8,209
Page 58

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #895 of 8,209
How would you compare MK1 and MK2 to the DMP-Z1 btw?

By listening to the DMP-Z1 and comparing to a WM1 with the 2 different fw

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #896 of 8,209

My apologies, thought you were talking about something else. I’ll move along here.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #898 of 8,209
Do these mods affect the battery life in comparison with the original firmwares?
I don’t notice any difference from previously. No extra battery drain or battery savings. Pretty much identical.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #899 of 8,209
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #900 of 8,209
Changing the region will remove the volume limit.

Also, they're calling the series A50. So there is A55 (16GB), A56 (32GB), and A57 (64 GB), and they are all part of the NW-A50 Series.

I was also thinking that an A45 or even better, an A55, can be a great gift - especially more with the DMP-A50 mod. The mod really increases its value.

I'll let other describe how it sounds like.

Hello, it's great to read the possibilities of these Sony with the mods. Let's see if you can help me... If I buy a WM1A European version ... would the volume limit also be removed when switching to the new mod + region? Or is this only possible with the A50 series? And another question: What real differences will there be between the A50 series and the WM1A in terms of options and sound quality?. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back