Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 18, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #6,198 of 8,217
Yeah, I hook up the A55 to the Q1mk2 and use the HD6xx on balanced - drives it much better than the SE from the A55. When using something else, I just decouple it from the DAC/AMP
Using usb audio out?

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #6,200 of 8,217
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #6,201 of 8,217
The FiiO L27 cable (or similar tailor made) does the trick, but these days not easy to find

FiiO_L27_1-360x360.jpg

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,202 of 8,217
The FiiO L27 cable (or similar tailor made) does the trick, but these days not easy to find

FiiO_L27_1-360x360.jpg
I use the Sony nwh-10 cable for usb audio out to my k5 pro.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #6,203 of 8,217
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #6,204 of 8,217
I don't listen to music for some days, sometimes, and I think I know how the WM1A sounds, and I feel I'm not necessarily in the mood to listen to music. I am using the WM1Z sound signature, with Plus v2 mode, and for now I am trying the J3 region (which will be available in an update).

Then I decide to listen to some music with the Z7M2 on the balanced port anyways, and I'm getting surprised yet again. Awesome sounding device!

Such an open, natural, and life-like sound!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #6,205 of 8,217
Such an open, natural, and life-like sound
The WM1A remains an amazing DAP despite its age. And your Fw have greatly contributed to enriching the experience and renewing interest. Not accessible to all budgets when it was released, there are now second-hand WM1As in very good condition and very affordable. I think I'm not ready to part with it.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #6,206 of 8,217
“I don't listen to music for some days, sometimes, and I think I know how the WM1A sounds, and I feel I'm not necessarily in the mood to listen to music. I am using the WM1Z sound signature, with Plus v2 mode, and for now I am trying the J3 region (which will be available in an update).”

Exited to hear about the upcoming FW with new regions! J1, J2 J3 what are the differences, compared to J or MX3? Hoping that they maybe have better dynamics!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #6,207 of 8,217
So yesterday, i met up with a friend and i tried out his luxury and precision p6. The incredibly large soundstage was very noticable as well as the very organic presentation, layering was also very good all in all very pleasant (note that i havent start to ab test it with my 1a). After i got a hang of its characteristics i then proceeded to compare the 2... Honestly, aside from the incredible driving power the p6 had 1a could keep up with it in dynamics and layering but where 1a couldnt keep up was with the 1st it sounded more intimate than the p6, 2nd note thickness 1a sounded thicker (way thicker) than p6, 3rd 1a sounded harsher with a bit more treble peak (in some tracks it was quite splashy), 4th the bass on 1a blooms the more i turned up the volume (both on high gain on p6 i was on 24 while on 1a i was already above 100) but that could be due to the difference in amp capabilities (1a having a very low powered amp).

But even after all those the difference in enjoyability didnt quite warrant twice the price of p6 ($3000 compared to $1200) especially after i listened to amber rubarth's strive. The cajon sounded way more realistic and very very intense on 1a while it was 'just there existing' on the p6

Whether ir be my bias, my inability to fully get attenuated to p6 signature, or preference for an emotional presentation i will still stick with the 1a. Also forgot to mention, p6 ui while quite intuitive is very oldschool with not having touch screen only relying on the buttons and the volume wheel to navigate (and like all volume wheels, it has the possibility of developing skipping/inaccuracy issues).

Tests done using
Iems:
Empire ears nemesis
Empire ears merlin
Audeze euclid

Wm1a config:
Walkman One Warm (normal, mx3, alt dac disabled)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #6,208 of 8,217
Only the1Z ships with a hand strap. They got to justify the $2000 more by including something the 1A doesn't have. JK.
Woah didnt know that! I guess i was lucky that mine came with the strap (?)

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #6,209 of 8,217
So yesterday, i met up with a friend and i tried out his luxury and precision p6. The incredibly large soundstage was very noticable as well as the very organic presentation, layering was also very good all in all very pleasant (note that i havent start to ab test it with my 1a). After i got a hang of its characteristics i then proceeded to compare the 2... Honestly, aside from the incredible driving power the p6 had 1a could keep up with it in dynamics and layering but where 1a couldnt keep up was with the 1st it sounded more intimate than the p6, 2nd note thickness 1a sounded thicker (way thicker) than p6, 3rd 1a sounded harsher with a bit more treble peak (in some tracks it was quite splashy), 4th the bass on 1a blooms the more i turned up the volume (both on high gain on p6 i was on 24 while on 1a i was already above 100) but that could be due to the difference in amp capabilities (1a having a very low powered amp).

But even after all those the difference in enjoyability didnt quite warrant twice the price of p6 ($3000 compared to $1200) especially after i listened to amber rubarth's strive. The cajon sounded way more realistic and very very intense on 1a while it was 'just there existing' on the p6

Whether ir be my bias, my inability to fully get attenuated to p6 signature, or preference for an emotional presentation i will still stick with the 1a. Also forgot to mention, p6 ui while quite intuitive is very oldschool with not having touch screen only relying on the buttons and the volume wheel to navigate (and like all volume wheels, it has the possibility of developing skipping/inaccuracy issues).

Tests done using
Iems:
Empire ears nemesis
Empire ears merlin
Audeze euclid

Wm1a config:
Walkman One Warm (normal, mx3, alt dac disabled)
How much do you think was just hardware characteristics of the WM1A? I favour Bright on E, do you think that combination may have produced a significant difference to your perceived impressions for something like the bass and note thickness?
Woah didnt know that! I guess i was lucky that mine came with the strap (?)
My 1A also came with a strap.

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #6,210 of 8,217

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back