Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 7, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #4,636 of 8,209
i am on DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) at the moment (and for the last 2 months , as i am bored switching again and i like the sound)

can someone explain the differences with Classic , sound-wise ?

@Queen6 is this CFW the one you use atm ?
DMP-WM FEv2 best of the bunch IMO the others with Plus mode all tend to have issue for me, FEv2 cant fault.

Q-6

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #4,639 of 8,209
I just recently purchased a WM1Z and while I think FEv2 was a good Firmware for for my WM1A I keep trying them all but I keep going back to 3.02 because it is more detailed and open to me. I did manage to change my region to J after first trying E. My headphones are the Focal Utopia using the balanced output.

May 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,640 of 8,209
With an NW-A45 on the way I wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions if you don't mind.

First of all, is it preferable to first install the unofficial stock firmware update before also installing one of the two mods available, or are the improvements of this update also included in the mod? Also, I'm thinking of changing the region to E, seeing as region J only shows Japanese on this device (right?), does anyone have suggestions regarding the choice of region and mod considering I mostly listen to classical music? Of course I can try and see, but I'd like to have a starting point.

Secondly, I'm coming from a rooted Pixel 4a with Viper4Android as my listening device and I also have a decent pair of IEMs (for my budget) for which I've been using a vdc file (for anyone familiar with Viper4Android...) which corrects their sound noticeably for the better. Now this might be completely unnecessary, but does anyone know how I could get the same effect on the A45? Perhaps I will just need to manually tune the EQ following the curve of the file?

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #4,641 of 8,209
With an NW-A45 on the way I wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions if you don't mind.

First of all, is it preferable to first install the unofficial stock firmware update before also installing one of the two mods available, or are the improvements of this update also included in the mod? Also, I'm thinking of changing the region to E, seeing as region J only shows Japanese on this device (right?), does anyone have suggestions regarding the choice of region and mod considering I mostly listen to classical music? Of course I can try and see, but I'd like to have a starting point.

Secondly, I'm coming from a rooted Pixel 4a with Viper4Android as my listening device and I also have a decent pair of IEMs (for my budget) for which I've been using a vdc file (for anyone familiar with Viper4Android...) which corrects their sound noticeably for the better. Now this might be completely unnecessary, but does anyone know how I could get the same effect on the A45? Perhaps I will just need to manually tune the EQ following the curve of the file?
I don’t know what you mean by “unofficial stock fw” ?

On region J you can’t change language, but you can change to another region where you can change the language and that language is kept if you change back to J.

There is a 6 band eq on fixed frequencies. You can’t use the vcd file.

May 7, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #4,642 of 8,209
I don’t know what you mean by “unofficial stock fw” ?

On region J you can’t change language, but you can change to another region where you can change the language and that language is kept if you change back to J.

There is a 6 band eq on fixed frequencies. You can’t use the vcd file.
I mean this.

So I need to change to J, then back to E or whichever and change to English, then back to J?

Okay.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,643 of 8,209
I mean this.

So I need to change to J, then back to E or whichever and change to English, then back to J?

Okay.
Just make sure yoir language is in English before switching the region to J and you’re all good. If you are in any other language and switch to J, it will default to Japanese. So just switch when you’re using English. Nothing to worry.

May 7, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,644 of 8,209
I mean this.

Okay.
You can switch, for example to E. Put the walkman in english and then switch to J amd you’re done.

take note that if you do a settings or a factory reset you will be defaulted to japanese under J

May 7, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,645 of 8,209
I mean this.

Okay.
Change to any other region than J, change to English and then change to J and you will keep English

May 8, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #4,647 of 8,209
I have a question regarding SensMe channels, yewterday updates thw music that disnt have aensMe data. Took aome time for about 3000 tracks

So mow ill do sensme to newtracks only. So queetion goes if i do sensme on a folder located on the computer hard drive and then move it to the micro sd card. Would the diles retain the sensme data?

May 8, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #4,648 of 8,209
I found J to be great also but moved to Midnight Plus after a few days. I’m really surprised how well Midnight Plus goes with my collection of IEMs.

It will be amazing too if your player matures with burn-in. So depending on your burn-in status, the party is not over yet!
Midnight and FEv2 seems to be the runaway hits on here so far with most...

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #4,649 of 8,209
I have a question regarding SensMe channels, yewterday updates thw music that disnt have aensMe data. Took aome time for about 3000 tracks

So mow ill do sensme to newtracks only. So queetion goes if i do sensme on a folder located on the computer hard drive and then move it to the micro sd card. Would the diles retain the sensme data?
Try to look at the tags of the files if SenseMe is tag information. If it is it should be OK. On the other hand if it is something the Sony software transfers I have no idea

May 8, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #4,650 of 8,209
I am baffled that sony removed the SensMe scanning capability on the walkmans starting from 2016.
The 2014 NWZ-A17 i had and the 2015 NW-A25 that i have now, can scan for SensMe on the DAP itself without needing a PC softwqre from sony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back