Sony Walkman NWZ-X1000 (UK out NOW, US version out mid-June)
Dec 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #46 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully 480x272 as that is the same resolution as the PSP. Who knows maybe the PSP-4000 will also have an OLED screen, and this will be an excuse to start mass producing these screen size/resolution.

If so, I can't wait.

I was thinkin that resolution partly because the PSP does have that resolution. However the PSP uses a 4.3" screen, the new sony OLED screen is 3", so two completely different beasts.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #47 of 422
Can any wise head-fier answer these difficult questions:

a) Will it be manageable with ms explorer? (no sony software needed)
b) Will it play xvid directly? (or will it require bothersome conversion)

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #48 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben7337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinkin that resolution partly because the PSP does have that resolution. However the PSP uses a 4.3" screen, the new sony OLED screen is 3", so two completely different beasts.

True, but who knows. A 3" screen is far more useful than a 4.3" if Sony ever plans to release a PSP phone. Oh well, it would be great if it is true.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #50 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish this new player has faster transfer speed...
This new player look minimalistic and small. I like

I've never had a Sony with fast transfer speeds. I just write a couple of novels while I'm waiting for each track to move over
icon10.gif

And I am so dumping the Touch as soon as the Sony's released. Much as I like the Touch features, I'm just not as keen on the sound quality as I am my Sony daps. And with the new amplifier they'll be using (same as in my Sony speaker cradle which fills an entire 14ft x 12ft kitchen with music), I think it's going to be their best dap to date. And it seems there'll be external controls for volume and track changing etc. So I am already in love with a dap that hasn't even been released yet
biggrin.gif

Ascariss: You said - Quote:

so my question is, does sony have to put in an application for the device if it is not going on sale within x # of months? Can they wait?

Do you remember on Atraclife when we viewed the details about the NWZ-A82x series? I think I saw a time frame of 28 days before release that Sony had to put in an application for it. But I'm not positive, so I'll go check later.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #51 of 422
Quote:

I'm just not as keen on the sound quality as I am my Sony daps.

My problem/POV too. I would like to have a 16GB Cowon D2, and add one (or more) 32 GB cards to create a high capacity FLAC-player, but the way the Cowon sound generally is described makes me rather sure it won't be my SQ-taste, just like I disliked the sound signature of Iriver, Apple and many others in the past, always returning to Sony.
So I guess my old beloved A808 might finally be succeeded by this, despite the lack of expansionslots and FLAC-support.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #52 of 422
so nice to the music world if Sony enable FLAC and APE file type to our ear and of coz to their profit money!!

hoho! new gimmick is 32GB , touchscreen and etc

i am very afraid that Sony & Sonyericsson bissness strategic:
"once they give u this, they will take away that"

i'll rather stay cool for months for check users comment for the "batterylife" and "soundquality" b4 gg to the new babe which i care the most!

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #53 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by musictang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so nice to the music world if Sony enable FLAC and APE file type to our ear and of coz to their profit money!!

hoho! new gimmick is 32GB , touchscreen and etc

i am very afraid that Sony & Sonyericsson bissness strategic:
"once they give u this, they will take away that"

i'll rather stay cool for months for check users comment for the "batterylife" and "soundquality" b4 gg to the new babe which i care the most!

Sony is in the recording industry, therefore they stick to industry formats. Their business strategy is more like, "Sorry we couldn't awe you with FLAC support. On the other hand, we made everything else great to make up for it."

Sony does offer great battery life, and even better sound quality. 32gb and a touchscreen aren't gimmicks, they're responding to the competition and the market. Because of Apple, a touch screen and more memory is what most people want now.

So, sorry, but you seem to be a little misunderstanding of what Sony is involved in and known for.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #54 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, sorry, but you seem to be a little misunderstanding of what Sony is involved in and known for.

i myself ONLY using sony brand walkman(S739), batterylife quite good, sound is the world class. others thenlimitation in storage, i very satisfed..

wat i trying to say abt Sony/ Sony erison company is :
e.g when they give u a quality music phone, they wont give u quality camera phone.(the example of giv u this, take away that)

i mean what i afraid is when new walkman come out with nicer deisgn, bigger touchabke screen and etc, they style of policy of bisness liken may to drop something out, like eg. batterylife level shorter, no drop and play fuction like of things, they wont give us all the good things at once, like S73x model take away bluetooth function from model A series. one more example is the cheaper E model series they cut down the "maximum level sound: etc

my prevoius post meaning is as long as they not compromise with sound quality and batterylife, others being cut out is may still acceptable to me

hope u get understand!

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #55 of 422
sony ericsson is not sony electronics, a phone is a bit different from an mp3 player and craming in a camera that shots video and photos into a small space is a challange.

there will be no compromises on the new sony walkman, sony does not compromise on sound quality in their E and A players. As for capacity, sony wants you to upgrade your walkman if you want more capacity, so that is why there are no expansion slots.

as for why some models have varying features, perhaps read this.

Guide to Sony model numbering - Sony Walkman - abi>>forums

but specifically this point:
B - Basic
E - Econimic
S - Specialized
A - Advanced

the A82x series has bluetooth so the 73x did not take anything away from it, it just received bluetooth so it gained a function, the 73x is the 3rd gen of players so if it was going a step backwards, there would be no bluetooth. the current S series took over from the older A series and this is why a new walkman is coming to become the new A series.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #56 of 422
There will always be compromises in every product. For example when Sony ditched Sonic Stage, they also took away Atrac3, Atrac3 Lossless and gapless. I am sure they can make a DRM-free version of Atrac3 if they were bothered, but they chose not to.

Regardless, can't we wait till CES? The specs I posted were rumoured specs gained by a Sony Insider mole. For all we know, we could have been had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a) Will it be manageable with ms explorer? (no sony software needed)

None Japan Walkmans has been MTP/MSC compliant for two generations now, meaning no need for any softwares. There is little reason to believe Sony will remove that feature on future devices, including this rumoured Walkman.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #57 of 422
Quote:

Regardless, can't we wait till CES? The specs I posted were rumoured specs gained by a Sony Insider mole. For all we know, we could have been had.

had? no, not by chris or sony insider. Chris knows his insiders well and good and he knows who to trust, if I were to trust anyone for sony inside info it would be chris first and foremost.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #59 of 422
Quote:

BTW, this isn't Sony's first touchscreen DAP. If the iPod Touch can be considered a DAP/PDA, then so were their now discontinued Clie models. The VZ90 released four years ago had a hot HVGA OLED display, WiFi, MP3 playback with two memory slots (CF and MS Pro).

My wife loved her clie until she accidentally poured water on it

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #60 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by musictang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i myself ONLY using sony brand walkman(S739), batterylife quite good, sound is the world class. others thenlimitation in storage, i very satisfed..

wat i trying to say abt Sony/ Sony erison company is :
e.g when they give u a quality music phone, they wont give u quality camera phone.(the example of giv u this, take away that)

i mean what i afraid is when new walkman come out with nicer deisgn, bigger touchabke screen and etc, they style of policy of bisness liken may to drop something out, like eg. batterylife level shorter, no drop and play fuction like of things, they wont give us all the good things at once, like S73x model take away bluetooth function from model A series. one more example is the cheaper E model series they cut down the "maximum level sound: etc

my prevoius post meaning is as long as they not compromise with sound quality and batterylife, others being cut out is may still acceptable to me

hope u get understand!

You do realize you're practically talking about two different companies, right? Sony is involved in many industries, and has a "sub-company" for each. Sony Ericsson is not the same "company" that makes Sony DAPs.

And each line of DAPs from Sony is meant to be different. They never took anything out at all, they just released a different line with a different feature-set. What you're complaining about is a common business strategy in the DAP industry. It's like saying Apple took away WiFi from the Touch when they released this year's Classic and Nano. And before you say that the Classic and Nano were out before the Touch, keep in mind that every "generation" is nothing but a line of newly updated players, and there's no reason Apple could not have added WiFi besides the fact that all three players are SUPPOSED to have different feature-sets. The result of this is variety. If any company crammed everything they could find into one player and just sold that player and updated it every year, it would have a ridiculously high price tag and unfortunately not everyone would be able to afford it. Variety is what keeps the world of business spinning. Without variety, there are no choices, and without choices, there is no competition, and without competition, you end up with a monopoly that can slap whatever price tag they want on their products. So, in theory, what you're really asking for without even knowing it is overpriced DAPs.

And built-in bluetooth is a little unnecessary. If you want to use wireless headphones, go ahead, but most if not all of them come with their own transmitter and receiver.

Once again, please research before judging a company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back