Sony Walkman NWZ-X1000 (UK out NOW, US version out mid-June)
Dec 13, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 422
Thats what I call clean and minimalist. Really nice!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #32 of 422
i hope they price is rite and not ridiculous like PS3..then i ll get it for sure.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #33 of 422
Yes it looks fantastic,i'm sure it will sound lovely if it's real and all but come on they seem to be bringing out a new walkman every week.
Ridiculous really.
Speaking of atrac the new e series walkman that's been out for a while in japan with changeable face plates supports atrac...bet they dont bring it out here though.
Atrac was and indeed still is the best sounding codec..BRING IT BACK SONY!

Dec 13, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #34 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it looks fantastic,i'm sure it will sound lovely if it's real and all but come on they seem to be bringing out a new walkman every week.
Ridiculous really.

The problem is updating DAPs for all markets. They're attempting to cover low, mid, and high-end ranges in 3 or 4 different markets, and that's a ton of DAPs! Those that have jumped on the S63x/S73x model, I suspect we (U.S. North Americas) might get the update to A72x/A82x w/32GB after update of the UK/euro models. Then again with the economy, Sony might be done.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of atrac the new e series walkman that's been out for a while in japan with changeable face plates supports atrac...bet they dont bring it out here though.
Atrac was and indeed still is the best sounding codec..BRING IT BACK SONY!

I've been an Atrac faithful for many years, and would hope that Sony could somehow offer both Atrac and MP3/AAC support on its DAPs, but it simply looks like they're done with Atrac in North America. Atrac on fixed-media players is not without its DRM problems, however. They lifted restrictions on MD/HiMD and you could make as many copies as you liked, but are still restricted on flash & HD players (AFAIK). All my flash & HD players still exhibit this from time to time with various ripped CDs and the inability to delete and re-transfer the same files under various conditions. But for the sound, the small footprint & gapless playback are still king. AT THE VERY LEAST FIX THE GAPPED PLAYBACK ON THE NEW PLAYERS, AND GIVE US MORE CAPACITY (>32GB) TO COMPENSATE.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #35 of 422
Atrac is dead in USA, people bitched about SS too much. "Most" people like WMP and drag and drop. I'd rather have ogg and flac myself. But like shig said never going to happen with sony.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #36 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A-TRAC! A-TRAC! A-TRAC!...... (c'mon everybody join in!!!)

Do you get the picture, Sony?!?!?!?! I will never buy a newer DAP (let alone a Sony one) without ATRAC/3/3plus support.

Kickin' (you know what) to The Electric Flag (1967-68) with my NW-HD5, with RM-MC40ELK, FiiO E5 and MDR-NC60's (they sound better and louder with the NC on) and/or my cling-wrap modded MDR-EX90SL's.

Yes I am aware that it sounds louder on more powerful DAP's than my 5 mW HD5, but that is why I got the E5, so I can keep up.

L3000.gif

ATRAC OR DEATH!!!

A-TRAC! A-TRAC! A-TRAC!

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #37 of 422
Wow - that looks sweet. If only flash would hurry up and get even cheaper/smaller - suppose 32GB would hold my music - but what about all my Family guy!?

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #39 of 422
yup me too Jwang...

I like Cowon's features and raved SQ but I like the youtube, wifi and slimness of the S9.

So if Sony has....

tactile buttons
good battery life
good UI
options for themes/apps/games

I am.. SOLD. But when is it likely that a player can ever satisfy everything you are looking for?

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #40 of 422
if you want atrac, order the japanese version, from what i understand, the japanese versions come with atrac and sonicstage,

personaly, i would like to see them rid of the propietary connector and add flac/ogg support,

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #41 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sonywalkmantouchscreen.png

16GB, 32GB
3" OLED touchscreen with 1:10k contrast ratio WQVGA resolution
WiFi, with ability to watch YouTube videos
MP3, WMA, AAC, PCM, MPEG-4 AVC, WMV (basically the same as S63x)
Digital noise cancelling
Ability to buy music directly from Amazon MP3
FM radio
Web browser with flash support
Will debut at CES 2009

Really nice looking (judging by the crudely drawn render) with some reasonable new features. I personally won't be interested in this as I require tactile feedback for 'blind use', but this still look slick enough for people thinking of jumping on the touchscreen DAP wagon.

via Sony Insider

I use my Touch 2G "blind" all the time, mainly in my coat/jacket pocket when walking. I use the Griffin iTalk to change tracks and the external volume control for the obvious. If the Sony offers a way to do both with hardware buttons, it would be smart. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #43 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastumoto5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just one question
WQVGA is 480 x 270 ?

Here's the wikipedia take on it

"Wide QVGA or WQVGA is any display resolution having the same height in pixels as QVGA, but wider. This definition is consistent with other 'wide' versions of computer displays.

Since QVGA is 320 pixels wide and 240 pixels high (aspect ratio of 4:3), a 16:10 aspect ratio wide version would be 384 pixels wide. A 5:3 aspect ratio wide version would be 400 pixels wide. Ratios of N:9 are not practical because 240/9 is not an integer.

WQVGA has wrongly been used to describe displays that are not 240 pixels high, for example Sixteenth HD1080 displays which are 270 or 272 pixels high. This may be due to QVGA having the nearest screen height."

so yes. likely 480x272 or 480x270 as that seems to be the standard minimum at present for such screens.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #44 of 422
Hopefully 480x272 as that is the same resolution as the PSP. Who knows maybe the PSP-4000 will also have an OLED screen, and this will be an excuse to start mass producing these screen size/resolution.

If so, I can't wait.

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #45 of 422
I was wondering if any one would know when this would show up on the FCC website? the new sony netbooks have shown up on the fcc website with reveal date probably jan 8th according to the documents, but I searched the fcc and could not find any new audio players?

so my question is, does sony have to put in an application for the device if it is not going on sale within x # of months? Can they wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back