Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #6,091 of 8,209
Had I had my A55 with this fw I would probably never have bought my 1Z. Yes the 1Z (even more so with the Nayparm mod) is clearly better in direct comparison but when I’ve been just listening to the A55 for a while I don’t really miss anything

Thanks so much for responding! This is probably the answer I should listen to, as it combats my natural urge to spend money and get shinier toys!

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,092 of 8,209
Thanks so much for responding! This is probably the answer I should listen to, as it combats my natural urge to spend money and get shinier toys!
You will get more and a better player with a 1A but if the improvement is worth the money difference in the real world to you only you can answer

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #6,093 of 8,209
I'm curious how a mid range player like the zx300 compares when the firmware is applied?

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #6,094 of 8,209
You will get more and a better player with a 1A but if the improvement is worth the money difference in the real world to you only you can answer

Maybe ZX300 could be an idea too, with the Walkman One firmware, which is WM1A/Z based. It's more capable hardware-wise, so it should sound better.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #6,095 of 8,209
Does the firmware work on the zx507?

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #6,096 of 8,209
Oct 2, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #6,097 of 8,209
Oct 2, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #6,098 of 8,209
Nope, it doesn't work on Android players.

Thanks! I'll cross that one off the list :). Since you have the A45/55 and WM1A, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences between the two players running your firmware. How big is the upgrade?

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #6,099 of 8,209
Thanks! I'll cross that one off the list :). Since you have the A45/55 and WM1A, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the differences between the two players running your firmware. How big is the upgrade?

On the WM1A the sound is more open and clear, and lows have more body, mainly. It's really an experience. Otherwise, they sound similar, as they run the exact same firmware (Walkman One).

However, I would be able to live only with A45/55 no problem, especially if you listen on the go a lot. I sometimes take the 1A with me, but you can obviously feel it in your pockets - it's not the coolest experience. Otherwise, I take the A45 or A55 (I use the SD card from the 1A), and I'm always amazed at the sound.

They can sound very good with custom firmware.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #6,100 of 8,209
The Walkman One firmware is now also available
for the NW-ZX300Series players (ZX300/ZX300A)!

Big thanks to Nayparm at www.npaudio.uk for his generous donation of a WM1A
(after having to sell mine, unfortunately), and to everyone who supported me so far!
🍺

As always, if you're using some other custom firmware on the ZX300, you'll first have to
revert to stock, using the StockRevert package made for your installed firmware.

For more info about the settings file, firmware installation and reverting to
stock, changing the sound signature, and more, please check out the FAQ section.

Check out Walkman One (for ZX300), here.

Cheers!

Hi, @MrWalkman just a feedback here for the ZX300 Walkman One firmware. The external tuning folder contains tunings for Bright, Neutral/Warm, and WM1Z only. So, a total of three external tuning files instead of four as mentioned. I tried installing the Neutral/Warm one. The installer ran smoothly on my PC but after checking the device's Unit Information on the Settings menu, the line "External tuning not applied!" was there. I did a stock revert using the Walkman One version, repeated the process but still with the same result. I did another stock revert, then installed Walkman One, then tried the Bright external tuning. It won't proceed and says I need to connect the device through USB even if the device is already in mass storage mode.

These are just my observations on the latest CFW for the ZX300 which is the Walkman One. I still haven't figured out how to properly install it.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #6,101 of 8,209
Hi, @MrWalkman just a feedback here for the ZX300 Walkman One firmware. The external tuning folder contains tunings for Bright, Neutral/Warm, and WM1Z only. So, a total of three external tuning files instead of four as mentioned. I tried installing the Neutral/Warm one. The installer ran smoothly on my PC but after checking the device's Unit Information on the Settings menu, the line "External tuning not applied!" was there. I did a stock revert using the Walkman One version, repeated the process but still with the same result. I did another stock revert, then installed Walkman One, then tried the Bright external tuning. It won't proceed and says I need to connect the device through USB even if the device is already in mass storage mode.

These are just my observations on the latest CFW for the ZX300 which is the Walkman One. I still haven't figured out how to properly install it.

You need to first change sound signature in settings file, then restart the player, then apply the corresponding external tuning. You can't just install what tuning you want.

This is mentioned in the "How_to_change_sound_signature.txt" file that you can find in the downloaded firmware archive :)

Neutral and Warm are using the same tuning, that's why there's 3 of them.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,102 of 8,209
You need to first change sound signature in settings file, then restart the player, then apply the corresponding external tuning. You can't just install what tuning you want.

This is mentioned in the "How_to_change_sound_signature.txt" file that you can find in the downloaded firmware archive :)

Neutral and Warm are using the same tuning, that's why there's 3 of them.

Got it. This will be my first time tinkering with the settings file. Apologies if I wasn't able to pick up that part of the instructions. I'll try it again and leave my feedback. Thanks, @MrWalkman!

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #6,103 of 8,209
just want to echo the sentiments above. my current lineup is a55, zx507, and wm1a. the a55 basically sat in a drawer unused because of the mediocre sound til i tried midnight v2 (now running walkman one). on midnight v2 it sounded about as good as my zx507, so i was very curious how the wm1a would compare. honestly, for the activities i would use a55 for (walking around outside, commuting, etc) it is hard to tell the difference from the wm1a. the wm1a does excel in many ways, but i think you'd have to be in a quiet environment and really focused on critically listening for them -- something that doesnt matter to me if i just want good sound on the go.

that said, i am keeping all three, but if i 'retired' from the hobby and was left with the a55, i'd appreciate its amazing sound in a small form factor with excellent battery life.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #6,104 of 8,209
Got it. This will be my first time tinkering with the settings file. Apologies if I wasn't able to pick up that part of the instructions. I'll try it again and leave my feedback. Thanks, @MrWalkman!

I got it working, finally. What I did:
- stock revert coming from Midnightv2
- install Walkman One
- change settings file from CFW folder inside device
- install ext tuning for Dawn (bright)
- confirm from Unit Information on device settings
- ext tuning Dawn (bright) finally working

I love what I'm hearing. The tuning complements well the sound signature of my Penon Globe, adding more sparkle and extension up top while not boosting the already warm low end. This is the perfect tuning option among the four available Walkman One configurations, at least for my setup.

Huge respect once again to you @MrWalkman for making this available for the ZX300. THANK YOU!

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #6,105 of 8,209
I feel so excited to receive my A55 :laughing: I don't know they are still making new batch, mine production date is May 2021. As a previous ZX300 owner, dont want to buy the same DAP again, and just curious to see the potential of A55. Been playing with the stock fw for half a hour, and can't wait to try the walkman one fw. The process is simple and straight forwards. A few moments later, WOW !!! My A55 just become a different machine with incredible clarity, separation and bass :L3000:

PXL_20211003_081015733.jpg

I have a Cayin N3 Pro which is reputable for its 3.5mm TUBE holograhic sound. By comparing the two, my A55 now is also capable of delivering similar holograhic sound, with a little less clarity and driving power, but much better bass than N3 Pro. I remembered my ZX300 was so powerless to drive some hybrid iems. Playing A55 with some hybrid like KZ ZEX, CCA CA16, I don't have the same powerless feeling anymore :L3000:

PXL_20211003_092534393.PORTRAIT.jpg

My A55 now become not only portable but really enjoyable with Walkman One fw. Thank you @MrWalkman, you just make a miracle :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back