Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #5,101 of 8,217
My 1A and TA-ZH1ES bring me a lot of listening pleasure, but it is addicting taking each step up in quality as it takes the basic concept of hearing music and opening it up and zooming in on it and taking the experience of hearing your well known and loved music to a refreshed new level of listening pleasure.
From hearing feedback and comparisons of the DMP-Z1 it sounds to be an awesome audio experience, unless I find one in about 20 years for sale with a cracked screen and dead battery I doubt I will get to own one.
Enjoy!
I will definately never get one, that price is out of my reach, the 1Z plus TA plus Z1R’s is my absolute limit and only happened because I got a big bonus 5 years ago

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #5,102 of 8,217
My 1A and TA-ZH1ES bring me a lot of listening pleasure, but it is addicting taking each step up in quality as it takes the basic concept of hearing music and opening it up and zooming in on it and taking the experience of hearing your well known and loved music to a refreshed new level of listening pleasure.
From hearing feedback and comparisons of the DMP-Z1 it sounds to be an awesome audio experience, unless I find one in about 20 years for sale with a cracked screen and dead battery I doubt I will get to own one.
Enjoy!

Thanks, believe you me, I’ve spent the last two years thinking, I can’t possibly buy or justify the cost of the DMP-Z1 & I finally caved in, but from an audio perspective, after 73 hours playback, in 8 days, I don’t regret it from that point of view. It really is, what owners say & more.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but couldn’t resist posting about the excitement of my purchase.

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #5,103 of 8,217
We live only once and joy in life is worth all the money, if someone can afford it then why not. Not to mention that most people listen with their smartphone and would find a 100$ DAP crazy expensive :wink:
I have a romantic relationship with my wm1z, my dearest audio thing, if a hurricane comes towards my place, it's the first thing I'd grab and run :sweat_smile:

Aug 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #5,104 of 8,217
Thanks, believe you me, I’ve spent the last two years thinking, I can’t possibly buy or justify the cost of the DMP-Z1 & I finally caved in, but from an audio perspective, after 73 hours playback, in 8 days, I don’t regret it from that point of view. It really is, what owners say & more.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but couldn’t resist posting about the excitement of my purchase.
Go for it, shout it from the rooftops.
I follow several Sony threads as do many others and consider them entirely relevant to each other.

After tiring of trying to achieve best bang for buck, and reading about the higher end gear I reassessed what's important to me and gave myself the green light on the IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #5,105 of 8,217
I will definately never get one, that price is out of my reach, the 1Z plus TA plus Z1R’s is my absolute limit and only happened because I got a big bonus 5 years ago
I got an unexpected back pay from a previous job, sold a lot of stuff and made a healthy profit selling on my RME ADI-2 that helped me finance some recent purchases (secondhand). Otherwise I make my own lunch, don't drink coffee, workout at home and have no credit card debt.
Still, no DMP-Z1 for me either.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #5,107 of 8,217
Glad to see you back @MrWalkman ! Been blissfully on hiatus mode using Midnight (Plus) for months now with some rather odd and questionable iems (the likes of which i would not even dare to touch using stock fw lol!). Looks like theres gonna be exciting times ahead.

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #5,108 of 8,217
Just anticipating any new FW that comes to the A55/ A50 Series. Hopefully theres more like A50R with all the extra tweaks and features. It just gave it that aspect of much more configurable sound and the visualizations were also neat, overall just a more enjoyable experience.

Of course im willing to try anything that comes even if it doesn't. It may just be the perfect balance. I can always make sacrifices if the sound is right for my setup.

Regardless whatever happens, what we already have is no doubt better than stock.

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #5,109 of 8,217
Ok, so in the meanwhile I plan on having two additional options:

• choosing the region
  • choosing if we want Plus mode to be used as default (without using the Hold key)
  • choosing between the existent Plus mode and a new Plus mode
  • choosing to use a slightly higher gain mode (this was available with the old ++ mod)
  • choosing to have any region but also have the remote option, which is only available with the J/E/one more regions (theoretically it's possible, but we shall see)
  • choosing if you'd like to not load some additional files during the DAC initialization, for an additional way to change the sound signature (this was done for the WM1A/Z+ and ++ mods)
  • the ability to choose the color of some icons in the interface (this is already available in the firmware, it's just not used)

With all these options there will be several ways you could have the sound of the 1A/Z set:

1628617407961.png

Lets see if your new v2 FW can surpass your legendary FEv2

The FEv2 tuning will be available for Dawn.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #5,110 of 8,217
This is the settings file, which will be generated automatically if it doesn't exist.

There will also be a little boot log file, where you can check if everything set here is being read correctly from the file every time you start the device.

Attachments

• dawn_settings.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #5,111 of 8,217
Ok, so in the meanwhile I plan on having two additional options:

• choosing the region
  • choosing if we want Plus mode to be used as default (without using the Hold key)
  • choosing between the existent Plus mode and a new Plus mode
  • choosing to use a slightly higher gain mode (this was available with the old ++ mod)
  • choosing to have any region but also have the remote option, which is only available with the J/E/one more regions (theoretically it's possible, but we shall see)
  • choosing if you'd like to not load some additional files during the DAC initialization, for an additional way to change the sound signature (this was done for the WM1A/Z+ and ++ mods)
  • the ability to choose the color of some icons in the interface (this is already available in the firmware, it's just not used)

With all these options there will be several ways you could have the sound of the 1A/Z set:

The FEv2 tuning will be available for Dawn.
It's nice to have you present on the thread again, and exciting to see what you're working on, looks like some next level stuff. I'm glad to hear your circumstances have improved a bit from when you left.
I'll be honest with you that I'm am absolutely satisfied with your firmwares to date and have recently gotten a renewed enjoyment in changing regions and going back to an earlier firmware but I'm keen to experience your new work.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #5,112 of 8,217
This is the settings file, which will be generated automatically if it doesn't exist.

There will also be a little boot log file, where you can check if everything set here is being read correctly from the file every time you start the device.
Cool stuff mate. This will work on only the yet to be released firmwares right?

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #5,113 of 8,217
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #5,115 of 8,217

Users who are viewing this thread

Back