Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #5,026 of 8,209
Yes as I mentioned FEv2 is very much brighter sounding.
Which version, where there is support for all jpg files, would you recommend. I am looking for something comfortable at high frequencies, but without loss of stage width. Depth is just as important.
I remember that I liked one of the chameleon times. maybe wm1 + or wm1 ++ But I use the equalizer so often and so much new music that everything is jumbled in my memory))

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #5,027 of 8,209
Exactly the same problem I have
Have you decided which region and firmware you'll settle on yet?
I've always favoured a slightly warm sound as there are times I like to up the volume a bit, although E and FEv2 never get harsh a part of me was feeling to change back to J and perhaps even Midnight. I haven't had time to listen much but there are albums like an 80's soundtrack with a dominant synth sound which highlighted the extra impact of the low end on E that keeps me from changing.

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #5,028 of 8,209
I've always favoured a slightly warm sound as there are times I like to up the volume a bit, although E and FEv2 never get harsh a part of me was feeling to change back to J and perhaps even Midnight. I haven't had time to listen much but there are albums like an 80's soundtrack with a dominant synth sound which highlighted the extra impact of the low end on E that keeps me from changing.
Try FEv2 on Region MX3, as this will retain the low end of the spectrum and reduce the boost to the upper end, will also reduce the dynamic's a touch versus E. Note no BT remote feature with MX3. Problem with J is that once your into E it will sound flat and lacking bite to the leading edge of the notes, as with all a couple of weeks and you naturally adjust to the sound signature.

Q-6

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #5,029 of 8,209
Try FEv2 on Region MX3, as this will retain the low end of the spectrum and reduce the boost to the upper end, will also reduce the dynamic's a touch versus E. Note no BT remote feature with MX3. Problem with J is that once your into E it will sound flat and lacking bite to the leading edge of the notes, as with all a couple of weeks and you naturally adjust to the sound signature.

Q-6
Thanks for the suggestion - I sometimes use the remote with my dock > TA-ZH1ES and prefer to keep the function.
It crossed my mind that if I changed back to J and Midnight I'd probably find it a bit dull - it's nice to have the option and in less than 5 minutes transform the sound of your Walkman.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #5,030 of 8,209
Thanks for the suggestion - I sometimes use the remote with my dock > TA-ZH1ES and prefer to keep the function.
It crossed my mind that if I changed back to J and Midnight I'd probably find it a bit dull - it's nice to have the option and in less than 5 minutes transform the sound of your Walkman.
I wouldn’t call the sound with midnight and J dull. I’ve used it for a long time and never found it dull. Laid back and relaxed. The little nuances and details are still there just without the sharper edges. Dull means lifeless to me. The music is definitely alive but dialled back a little. That’s my take on it.

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #5,031 of 8,209
I wouldn’t call the sound with midnight and J dull. I’ve used it for a long time and never found it dull. Laid back and relaxed. The little nuances and details are still there just without the sharper edges. Dull means lifeless to me. The music is definitely alive but dialled back a little. That’s my take on it.
I was on that previously before reading some recent impressions of E w/FEv2 that inspired me to try it out. I've been deciding what I might settle on and my comments were not implying it was actually dull, just agreeing with Queen6's comment that after experiencing E/FEv2 my initial impression upon going back might in contrast make it seem a bit dull, otherwise I had a very pleasant experience with it and rate it as one of my favourites.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #5,032 of 8,209
Not yet though I’m leaning towards staying on FEv2 with E

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #5,033 of 8,209

You could try Dawn, then Midnight on E as this will retain more of the dynamics, presence and openness, however you may incur issue with Plus mode with some albums as the expansion of the sound stage can effect the placement of vocals.

Midnight on J may not be dull, it is however rather dialled back and lacks energy in comparison to FEv2 on E. An electrifying combination depending on genre, equally I can get that it can be too much for some with brighter focused HP/IEM.

Q-6

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #5,034 of 8,209
Not yet though I’m leaning towards staying on FEv2 with E
This is now me done with changing - with the Traillii it is absolutely a great match!

It's a little energetic at times with the Odin, but there is more warmth in FEv2 than you think so works out pretty good.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #5,036 of 8,209
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #5,037 of 8,209
I just realized by habit I had booted into plus after loading FEv2 on E - I've rebooted to classic which seems to have toned things down a bit, perhaps I like plus more

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #5,039 of 8,209
I may be getting confused but am I right in thinking that Fev2 is the same as Fe Plus?
Could be me that's confused - my folder with the firmware says FEv2, and when booting with the hold button up the info was showing plus

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #5,040 of 8,209
I may be getting confused but am I right in thinking that Fev2 is the same as Fe Plus?
Plus with Hold button ON and Classic with Hold button OFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back