Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #5,011 of 8,186
for 750 euros , i have got more than 6000 hours of sonic bliss from my wm1a , if you divide the euros/hours , it comes like 0.12 euros/hour

what can you buy with 0.10 euros to give you an hour of pure enjoyment ? Nothing.

So i say this is money extremely well spent :xf_cool:

oh , and the usb-dac mode/option is a game changer with my laptop/external HD files - and i have not even mentioned all those amazing CFW by @MrWalkman that elevate wm1a to awesome sonic bliss heights

Bravo SONY !!!

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #5,013 of 8,186
Little update on my new WM1Z adventure. I've reverted to stock 3.02 to get used to Sony's tuning before tinkering further. I'm surprised to say that I actually prefer the stock over DMP-WM1 FEv2 with the Denon. This might be due to the learner, more neutral tuning of the Denon. The treble seems more rolled off on stock. Soundstage is about same.

I'm going to stick with stock for a few days then try Midnight (plus). That might be a better fit for the Denon as previously suggested.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #5,014 of 8,186
Little update on my new WM1Z adventure. I've reverted to stock 3.02 to get used to Sony's tuning before tinkering further. I'm surprised to say that I actually prefer the stock over DMP-WM1 FEv2 with the Denon. This might be due to the learner, more neutral tuning of the Denon. The treble seems more rolled off on stock. Soundstage is about same.

I'm going to stick with stock for a few days then try Midnight (plus). That might be a better fit for the Denon as previously suggested.
Yes as I mentioned FEv2 is very much brighter sounding.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #5,015 of 8,186
Hi guys, is there any fix for the video and audio delay when using the A55 as USB-DAC on Windows 10? Does the WM1A also have this issue? Thanks

EDIT: Tried also as a bluetooth receiver and the delay seems less noticeable, I wonder why there is more delay when it is used as a wired dac? shouldn't it be the other way around? :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #5,016 of 8,186
Yes as I mentioned FEv2 is very much brighter sounding.
Tried Midnight just now as well. I found that it reduced the soundstage compared to stock but definitely improved the warmth.

But for now, stock is still my favourite with the Denon. It has the perfect balance of detail to warmth. Must commend MrWalkman though - the differences aren't small between firmware. These CFWs are very helpful to find the right pairing with your headphones/IEMs - just so happens I like stock better with mine.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #5,017 of 8,186
I have now been a week back on FEv2 this time on region E and I must say this is a much brighter and livelier experience with more kick and attack than Midnight on J that I've been using for several months. This on my nayparm modded 1Z

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #5,018 of 8,186
Tried Midnight just now as well. I found that it reduced the soundstage compared to stock but definitely improved the warmth.

But for now, stock is still my favourite with the Denon. It has the perfect balance of detail to warmth. Must commend MrWalkman though - the differences aren't small between firmware. These CFWs are very helpful to find the right pairing with your headphones/IEMs - just so happens I like stock better with mine.
I'm glad you've found a favoured match.
After a period of time once you settle in with the stock sound you could try the custom ones again as they are generally experienced as having 'improvements' on stock sound, plus some other features added. I have found that changing to another firmware after a while of listening to one can sometimes make aspects you may deem as improvements stand out. After a year of trying different ones I am still unsettled on which I prefer.
Otherwise just keep it simple and get on and enjoy the music.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #5,019 of 8,186
I have now been a week back on FEv2 this time on region E and I must say this is a much brighter and livelier experience with more kick and attack than Midnight on J that I've been using for several months. This on my nayparm modded 1Z
Same, I'm just deciding whether to try Midnight on E or go back to J.
I am appreciating the change and aspects you described but find it difficult to decide as recordings of albums and tracks can vary so much, overall I'm not sure what I prefer yet.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #5,020 of 8,186
Same, I'm just deciding whether to try Midnight on E or go back to J.
I am appreciating the change and aspects you described but find it difficult to decide as recordings of albums and tracks can vary so much, overall I'm not sure what I prefer yet.
Exactly the same problem I have

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,021 of 8,186
I'm glad you've found a favoured match.
After a period of time once you settle in with the stock sound you could try the custom ones again as they are generally experienced as having 'improvements' on stock sound, plus some other features added. I have found that changing to another firmware after a while of listening to one can sometimes make aspects you may deem as improvements stand out. After a year of trying different ones I am still unsettled on which I prefer.
Otherwise just keep it simple and get on and enjoy the music.
100%. Right now, I'm just enjoying the stock sound. The features the CFW aren't ones I would use but I do appreciate they are there.

I will likely give Dawn a go in the next couple of days as I haven't yet. I'm also only listening to the 3.5 port. My Magnus 4.4 cable isn't here yet,

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #5,023 of 8,186
nobody

hi all, i am looking for the latest classical custom firmware from robertp for my 1z. thank you
You may want to pm him for a link?

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #5,024 of 8,186

Users who are viewing this thread

Back