Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #4,231 of 8,151
By the way, I've managed to get hold of the WM1A/Z service manual, updated in 2018.

It seems that there is a way to enter the test mode.

1. Go to the Unit information screen
2. Set the Hold button in the On position
3. Press VOL+ for 5 times, then press VOL- for 5 times
4. Press Rewind (<<) for 3 times, press Play/Pause for 1 time, then press Forward (>>) for 3 times
5. Set the Hold button in the Off position

The player should restart automatically into the test mode. In the test mode you can basically test things, but you cannot change the region, for example, so this is if you really want to test something hardware related, or just if you are curious.

In the test mode you can use Play/Pause as Enter, Rewind (<<) and Forward (>>) or VOL+/VOL- to select options, and the Hold button as a "Back" button.
Cool. I had the 1.0 version but yours is version 1.2

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #4,232 of 8,151
Try Project Z Plus as I felt the same effects you described with Midnight Plus and went back immediately to previous one
Another guy did the same also : try it please
And yes : MrWalkman is a little genius yeah !
Thanks for recommendation! I will try it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #4,233 of 8,151
My SD card is falsely reported as 256GB and h n in reality is 1TB
I imagine (seeing that mine says the same) that this was a firmware reporting limit due to card size available at time of release.

I'm really sad to see the news re @MrWalkman - I understand that too, my financial situation is terrible - I'm contemplating letting my Sony RX100M7 go to keep the wolves from the door - the past 12 months have been hideous.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #4,234 of 8,151
Try Project Z Plus as I felt the same effects you described with Midnight Plus and went back immediately to previous one
Another guy did the same also : try it please
And yes : MrWalkman is a little genius yeah !
You are right - now bass is back. For me Project Z is less bright/more bass prominent than Midnight. But I will listen more to check refinement vs harshness between this two FW. Midnight(Classic) is superb with dark/bassy headphones.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #4,235 of 8,151
Things are ruff for a lot of us...working as roadie with all this "crap" around the world i´m without work for the last 12 months...also had to sell some of my guitars and audio gear to be able to stay afloat...wishing all the best to @MrWalkman, and hope that you´ll be able to keep your wm1a and get back on your feet asap!

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #4,236 of 8,151

The first line displays the current region, the second line changes to J and turns volume cap off. Replace D: with whatever drive letter the internal storage has on your pc
I'm sorry, I mean I cant even download the open_cmd_here .bat tool from the website https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool to even get into the prompt to change that. Or am I misunderstanding? I'm just following the guide or trying to.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #4,237 of 8,151
Just catching up with the thread and am profoundly sad to hear about @MrWalkman and having to let his WM1A go. I would be gutted. I sincerely hope that better days are just around the corner ❤️

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #4,238 of 8,151
I'm really sorry to hear of another story of hardship @MrWalkman.
Music means a lot to me and achieving a higher level of quality in how I hear it opens up another dimension of enjoyment, and although at times can become a distraction, is also in itself an enjoyable journey. I don't earn the big bucks so I treasure what I can save up for and my WM1A is my main source through which I experience the wonderful world of music.
I would have just enjoyed the upgrade from the ZX300 but as fate would have it got to experience it's unlocked potential with your firmwares, from the early ones through to your recents masterpieces. I always felt lucky to own the same device as you feeling that the WM1A perhaps had the best of your efforts. To be honest, I feel that apart from tuning tweaks to cater for different tastes you had maybe already reached the maximum potential of the 1A, and I had already found satisfaction with the FE Plus and if I ever changed to iems with a different signature the other tunings would cater for that.
Who knows what the future holds, hopefully after a setback it's onwards and upwards - maybe you'll get to keep your 1A, or buy another at a later point, or Sony will release the 1A's replacement and you'll get that.
Thank you so much for what you have done for the WM1A, you have changed the course of history for many of us Sony owners and for many yet to experience one for years to come!
All the best my HeadFi friend.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #4,239 of 8,151
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #4,241 of 8,151
I was listening to FEv2 classic on rhis album and wow, no longer woundef dry and intimate, suddenly it had some space and lush sound
image.jpg

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #4,242 of 8,151
Sorry to learn MrWalkman isn't doing this anymore, but with how many different firmwares he released I can't help wondering how much further there was to go. Can't imagine each release was really going to continually get better and better as much as it actually was just perceiving stuff as better since it's different from the last release, which seems to be what this whole hobby is about haha.

As it is it's like being able to choose from a wide assortment of different flavors at Baskin Robbins. :jecklinsmile: I definitely can't wait to get to testing out all the difference firmwares he released whenever I finally get my WM1A.

These firmwares are part of what solidified my choosing to even get one of these daps, so thanks for making that decision so much easier @MrWalkman :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #4,243 of 8,151
Stop wondering and continue contributing :)
Come on guys, seems we need a little bit of a push here

Ofir

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #4,244 of 8,151
Sorry to learn MrWalkman isn't doing this anymore, but with how many different firmwares he released I can't help wondering how much further there was to go. Can't imagine each release was really going to continually get better and better as much as it actually was just perceiving stuff as better since it's different from the last release, which seems to be what this whole hobby is about haha.

As it is it's like being able to choose from a wide assortment of different flavors at Baskin Robbins. :jecklinsmile: I definitely can't wait to get to testing out all the difference firmwares he released whenever I finally get my WM1A.

These firmwares are part of what solidified my choosing to even get one of these daps, so thanks for making that decision so much easier @MrWalkman :)
Actually there is an unreleased version of midnight which I have been tearing down the past few weeks. It’s absolutely amazing and to me is the best firmware for the 1A. Period. But don’t know if it will ever be released officially though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back