Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,081 of 8,217
I have my WM1A for a few days only. I changed the region to uncap it and installed Midnight from MrWalkman but still I have to push the volume to almost the max (with HG on) to drive my headphones or IEMS. Is it normal or am I missing something?
The WM1 players do not have the most powerfull amp on the market so if your phones are very demanding or hard to drive you might experience that. With either Z1R or JH13 I'm never over 70-80 on low gain or 50-60 on high gain

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,082 of 8,217
The WM1 players do not have the most powerfull amp on the market so if your phones are very demanding or hard to drive you might experience that. With either Z1R or JH13 I'm never over 70-80 on low gain or 50-60 on high gain

50-60 on high gain isn't almost the max

I think it isn't normal to use "almost the max volume" with high gain and IEMs. I use less than 60 to drive the Clairvoyance and I get a high volumen with them. All my other IEMs need less than that.

@powergeek what IEMs are those?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #4,083 of 8,217
50-60 on high gain isn't almost the max

I think it isn't normal to use "almost the max volume" with high gain and IEMs. I use less than 60 to drive the Clairvoyance and I get a high volumen with them. All my other IEMs need less than that.

@powergeek what IEMs are those?

With low gain on the 1A and Etymotic ER2XR I get near 100.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #4,084 of 8,217
Thinking about changing my 1Z to J region. When I look at the Rockbox website and chart other regions list the feature to toggle between low and high gain. The J region does not indicate a high gain option????
Does the J region have high gain?

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #4,085 of 8,217
Thinking about changing my 1Z to J region. When I look at the Rockbox website and chart other regions list the feature to toggle between low and high gain. The J region does not indicate a high gain option????
Does the J region have high gain?
Yes, Japan region ticks all the boxes for features

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4,086 of 8,217
I think is time for sony to release a sucessor walkman with DAC Filters
AF6BF81E-4BCA-4EFB-AAF5-1B8A2F9AEAF3.jpeg
Like this?

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #4,088 of 8,217
Thank you @MrWalkman for your awesome new Midnight Plus OS,
I was using the version FE with my WM1Z and I wasn't that satisfy at first,
but with the Midnight Plus I feel the improvement in general tonality and a warmer signature which suits my Fitear MH334SR a lot.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #4,089 of 8,217
With low gain on the 1A and Etymotic ER2XR I get near 100.
Low gain 1A with Campfire Solaris 2020 balanced the volume is 35-50 depending on the recording.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #4,090 of 8,217
He has previously stated that he does not want to go into details with how and what
lol...You dont ask the Wizard how Oz works lol.
That's what's been bugging me with stock WM1A. It sounded so close to ZX300 in direct comparison that paying almost triple (I bought a ZX300a for $450 from joybuy) seemed ridiculous.
oh yeah, its not even close now. I once was going the 300 route but glad I stuck with the 1A

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #4,091 of 8,217
Check out Friday Night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía. It's "considered by many to be one of the best live acoustic guitar albums ever released." I have the SACD that I ripped and it's amazing on the 1A with Midnight Plus.
at first, I thought FE was still better than Midnight, but I am finding that with time, Midnight is right up there in SQ. Just tuned a slight bit different that FE+ but that's okay. Its getting hard to choose and figure out where to stay put with all these new firmwares. Its an exciting time!

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,092 of 8,217
Low gain 1A with Campfire Solaris 2020 balanced the volume is 35-50 depending on the recording.

Should’ve noted this is in balanced, also. Using Dunu SA6 balanced I think I’m somewhere in the 80s. So confused how you all are listening below the 70s let alone in the 40s with iems in low gain. I’m in my 30s, no hearing loss, my hearing is still excellent and I really don’t blast my music using headphones OR speakers. Not sure why I’m having to drive my IEMs so much more than everyone else.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #4,093 of 8,217
Should’ve noted this is in balanced, also. Using Dunu SA6 balanced I think I’m somewhere in the 80s. So confused how you all are listening below the 70s let alone in the 40s with iems in low gain. I’m in my 30s, no hearing loss, my hearing is still excellent and I really don’t blast my music using headphones OR speakers. Not sure why I’m having to drive my IEMs so much more than everyone else.
That is normal listening volumes. I used to listen at higher volumes but found that I was trying to compensate for deficiencies in the cables I was using (silver or gold plated copper). Once I went to an OCC silver cable I could turn the volume down to get the right balance of bass and treble.

When I'm trying to go to sleep I can go down to 20-30. At that level I do loose some of bass compared to normal volumes.

BTW I'm close to retirement age with excellent hearing.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #4,094 of 8,217
Tried Dawn earlier. Midnight is definitely for me. It’s just a bit more special sounding in the layering/separation of the instruments and width of the stage. It think it’s more dynamic sounding as well. The bass on Midnight is also killer. I tried Midnight Plus too and it’s great. I may use it exclusively w classical, as it has that extra bit of fine detail. For most things Midnight Classic is just fine. It absolutely destroyed my poor DX150 with Amp 8. :)

Listening to Classic now from the balanced output with the HD650. It’s doing the job perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back