Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,426 of 8,209
And at last,

DMP-A30

Yeah, I will reuse the post of the DMP-A40 mod, as the info is almost the same.

This custom firmware aims to bring the DMP-Z1 sound signature to the Sony NW-A30Series Walkman player,
while also bringing additional DSP options, features, and visualizations, similar to the previous Reloaded/Reloaded+ mods.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround
- NFC (not working)

Please read all the information below!
• The installation doesn't require the model switcher anymore,
and you won't have to do a factory reset. The player will do the factory reset itself.

• You need to be on the stock firmware before you will be able to install this firmware.
If you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware, on the page linked
below you can also find a package that will restore your A30 to the stock firmware.

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. At the end of the installation, the region of the player will be J
anyway, but you can change it to any other region, using the destination tool.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A30 and close the installer afterwards
2. Install DMP-A30_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP_A30) and close the installer afterwards
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

Upon installing this firmware, all settings will be reset
and everything in the internal storage will be deleted!

The firmware can be found here.

I hope you'll like what you'll hear, and as always, feel free to leave your thoughts in this thread :)
Thank you very much Mr. Walkman!

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,427 of 8,209
Thank you very much Mr. Walkman!

My pleasure!

In the future I plan on getting the A55 firmware to work on the A45 and A35, for anyone who want a stock firmware with modified sound signature, that will also have stuff like ClearAudio+ or FM Radio.

I also need to rework a bit the installation of DMP-WM1 & WM1 II, and the one of DMP-A50 and DMP-A50R.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,429 of 8,209
And at last,

DMP-A30

Yeah, I will reuse the post of the DMP-A40 mod, as the info is almost the same.

This custom firmware aims to bring the DMP-Z1 sound signature to the Sony NW-A30Series Walkman player,
while also bringing additional DSP options, features, and visualizations, similar to the previous Reloaded/Reloaded+ mods.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio+ (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Missing features:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround
- NFC (not working)

Please read all the information below!
• The installation doesn't require the model switcher anymore,
and you won't have to do a factory reset. The player will do the factory reset itself.

• You need to be on the stock firmware before you will be able to install this firmware.
If you currently have installed the Reloaded or Reloaded+ firmware, on the page linked
below you can also find a package that will restore your A30 to the stock firmware.

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. At the end of the installation, the region of the player will be J
anyway, but you can change it to any other region, using the destination tool.

Installation:
1. Install DMP-A30 and close the installer afterwards
2. Install DMP-A30_Ext_Tuning

To revert to the stock firmware:
1. Install StockRevert_(DMP_A30) and close the installer afterwards
2. Install StockRevert_Ext_Tuning

Upon installing this firmware, all settings will be reset
and everything in the internal storage will be deleted!

The firmware can be found here.

I hope you'll like what you'll hear, and as always, feel free to leave your thoughts in this thread :)
Oh theres definitely an improvement, no placebo here. That said, its not a night and day difference. Soundstage depth has improved and theres a touch of holography to the sound.

While it didn't wow me like the DMP-Z1 did, what you managed to achieve with just firmware tweaks certainly did.
I really appreciate the work and dedication you've put into this project. Cheers :beerchug:

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,430 of 8,209
Funnily enough, the A40/A30 with this firmware installed will sound better than the A50 with its current DMP-A50. But the DMP-A50 will also receive an update.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,433 of 8,209
People who tested the MK3 can share some insight about that.
It is a funny one, the first thing I noticed was the improvement in the treble - I didn’t spot this before (MK2 and earlier) but MK3 makes the treble sound non metallic - when you get your hands on it you’ll hear what I mean!

Mids are also much nicer now, a very complete package!

A fantastic test between versions for me, is Amy Lee’s vocals on the below track - I love my volume up loud and I won’t hide from the fact that near to the end of track, the vocals literally took my breath away...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,435 of 8,209
Sorry for this stupid question but which is the latest FW update for Sony ZX300

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,436 of 8,209
Sorry for this stupid question but which is the latest FW update for Sony ZX300

Feel free to check the first post of this thread.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,437 of 8,209
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #1,438 of 8,209
I downloaded the original DMP-A40 not the reloaded tuning. Not sure what the tuning is but, I always eq the 2K-8K below 0db because these entry portable players always have some sibilance in those frequencies which are always sound harsh and unpleasant to listen to especially on vocals for me. I also raise the 125K-500K up a bit but I always keep the eq below 0db and active the Dynamic Normalization. The reason is if you use all the dsp (or some) along with eq up to 0db there's no headroom and there's a lot of digital clipping!

IMHO its ok to listen at 100-105ish when the levels are lower to avoid distortions and harsh treble in the high frequency.

Here's what it's at right now but it changes slightly depending on the music genre and track!
5280720D-BD8A-4F09-BFEF-89C2F51FADF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,440 of 8,209
Your post is confusing. Did you install the DMP-A40 firmware? If yes, I don't get why you're mentioning that you did not install Reloaded, which is the confusing part.

What are you exactly what to tell us? Is the sound the same/harsh for you?

If I got this right someone mentioned that they wanted to go back to Reloaded+ because of loudness issues and the tuning was updated to DMP-A40 to better reflect the Reloaded+ is that correct???

I should clarify I only listen to DSD so this tuning works well for me because unlike PCM DSD should be -3db.

Since, I don’t know how to chart the frequency responses via a PC, I have to rely on my hearing

All I can say is try the tuning yourself....

31: -10.0

62: -6.5

125: -1.5

250: -1.0

500: -1.5

1K. : -4.5

2K. : -6.5

4K : -10.0

8K. : -10.0

16K: -3.0

If it sounds too “bassy” or lack there of I will increase the lower end to reach a sweet spot. If it sounds to “stuffy” or muddled or crunch I’ll raise the high end frequencies.

I got this off a screenshot of the WM1A sound settings but it’s not really true for these players. It is however a great guide to see what to emphasize certain frequency responses over others.

B276B424-4A27-4610-8892-55F17E3E647F.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back