Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #647 of 8,217
Are there a good handful of posts that I can reference as someone who is waiting for a wm1a to arrive and wants to jump in to trying out these mods when it arrives? Looking for a straightforward compendium of what is what.

A few points of confusion:

Stock firmware is 3.02...and then there are several types of firmware changes? How many?
A region change firmware?
A model id firmware?
Some additional mod?
Is just one mod used at a time, or do you change region, model id, something else all at once if desired?

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #648 of 8,217
Are there a good handful of posts that I can reference as someone who is waiting for a wm1a to arrive and wants to jump in to trying out these mods when it arrives? Looking for a straightforward compendium of what is what.

Stock firmware is 3.02...and then there are several types of firmware changes? How many?
A model id firmware?
Some additional mod?
Is just one mod used at a time, or do you change region, model id, something else all at once if desired?

Right now only the firmware in the main post is available. I have to do some work on some previous firmware mods (such as ones that can change the model), and then they will be released again.

To change the region/destination, you can find the instructions and the tool here: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #649 of 8,217

A model id firmware?
Some additional mod?

There are 2 different regions. The soft region is changed with the rockbox tool, the hard region can as I recall be changed with MrWalkmans tool. The model is 1A, 1Z (or DMP-Z1) and can be changed from within some of MrWalkmans modded fw. Then there are all the different sound tunings and MrWalkmans modded fw so there is a lot to play with. And on top of this there is then hw modding. Enjoy

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #650 of 8,217
There are 2 different regions. The soft region is changed with the rockbox tool, the hard region can as I recall be changed with MrWalkmans tool. The model is 1A, 1Z (or DMP-Z1) and can be changed from within some of MrWalkmans modded fw. Then there are all the different sound tunings and MrWalkmans modded fw so there is a lot to play with. And on top of this there is then hw modding. Enjoy

Is there any benefit sonically? The soft region change is clearly appetent, the hardware change I'm unsure of.

Q-6

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #651 of 8,217
Is there any benefit sonically? The soft region change is clearly appetent, the hardware change I'm unsure of.

Q-6

I don't think there's a sonic change too, so maybe we should just ignore hard region changes.

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #652 of 8,217

Q-6

I have not tried to change hw region nor model so don’t know

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #653 of 8,217
I still don’t know how you use 3.00? It was only out in the wild for a few days before Sony updated it due to flaws?

But I guess if you don’t turn off your player the full data base scan every time you turn it on is not a big deal? Also strangely not everyone experienced random freeze-ups and crashes! It was all about if 3.00 liked you and your player. Still at the time I was going to avoid 3.01 until I was informed 3.00 and 3.01 sound different. I was under the impression the two sounded identical until I was enlightened.

Still the crazy part of this hobby is just a slight tip port circumference can be the difference between liking an not liking an IEM. It seems we become infatuated with a small detail?
for me the sound its the most important feature of the player and all of the rest of FW combos make my iems VIA SE like if you add cotton on my ears... the resolution 3.00 pulls out its TOP NOTCH but it vcan be piercing but even after EQ adjustment it just sound better more realistic specially in MX3 I abandoned 3.00 for several month and started to get tired of the player... like it wasent vivid enough then went back for one users coment about it having good bass when I was shure bass in 3.00 was crap tested it and it subbass its really something when you pair it with MX3 its the purest sound ive yet to hear from my walkman....not even U its the same but its very good too!

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #655 of 8,217
I strongly disagree sound changes a lot... as proven. but of course you guys can disgregard all you want!

I didn't talk about the soft region/destination, which you created a chart about. Please read the posts carefully before jumping to a conclusion and post about it. Thanks :)

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #656 of 8,217
Is it best to do the NWDestTool region change before, or after installing A50R ?

I have the UK model on the way, so I obviously want that volume limiter gone. I'll kill my hearing on my terms, not Sony's lol

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #657 of 8,217
Is it best to do the NWDestTool region change before, or after installing A50R ?

It doesn't really matter, unless someone else has a good idea of why it should.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #659 of 8,217

A model id firmware?
Some additional mod?
just use your stock 3.2 for few days, and then install dmp z1 firmware, see the difference, i love it, best tuning with ier z1r

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #660 of 8,217
I don't think there's a sonic change too, so maybe we should just ignore hard region changes.

That's what I also think, more a matter of convenience for some in the past for applying tuning mods that didn't match their players hardware region.

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back