Sony Vaio Pocket 40gb 249.99 straight
Jun 22, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #76 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
My VGF-AP1L and Sony case is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Wow, RickG tell us how it sounds with your Headroom MicroStack setup once you get it. and Pics! Thanks!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sony Vaio Pocket 40gb vrs. iAudio X5 hmmmmmmmmm ....

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #78 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeerie1
I think I know the answer already, but just in case:

Gapless playback is just for ATRAC?

Yeah, it seems that's the only way it'll go gapless
rolleyes.gif
I found out about this little caveat after I purchased earlier today. Kinda disappointing, but not a dealbreaker. As of now, I'm sill very happy with this purchase.

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #79 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
I also bought this thing on impulse for the same reasons as Shurenuff. I hope it actually pans out. I received a notification yesterday from ecost saying it was on backorder, but I saw a few posts above that said they were going to get more stock on the 23rd so hopefully that will fill the all of the backorders.

Congrats! I ordered earlier today and, according to ecost's site, my pocket vaio has already shipped. I should recieve it tommorow
cool.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #80 of 137
Hell.... all of you let me know how you like it
wink.gif
I may just spring for it myself.

I'm worried about it not being portable enough though. Carrying around my sony dne300 was a bit of a hassle. I wonder if the Vaio Pocket would be anywhere near as bad/movement restrictive...

Comments on that aspect?

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #81 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
Hell.... all of you let me know how you like it
wink.gif
I may just spring for it myself.

I'm worried about it not being portable enough though. Carrying around my sony dne300 was a bit of a hassle. I wonder if the Vaio Pocket would be anywhere near as bad/movement restrictive...

Comments on that aspect?

At least for me, it's a non issue. The player is barely bigger than an iPod photo. I also ordered the sony case from sonystyle, so I'll carry it around with the belt clip. The only negative about this player's portabilty, IMO, is its dependency on its dock for charging and transfering files. Not that big of an issue if you just plan to listen to music on the go for the day. But if you need to use your pocket vaio for other things (say as an external HD), then you must lug the dock and cables with you. I can see how that could be an annoyance to some. However, I'm usually lugging around my laptop in its bag, so this again is really a non issue for me as I'll just through the dock in my bag when I need it.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #83 of 137
I am also curious about the Vaio's ability to connect to some
digital cameras and transfer over pictures/data.

For you Vaio owners out there, could you connect other
USB devices (such as a USB thumbdrive, etc.) to the cradle
with the Vaio in it, and would the data be transfered over to the Vaio?

Or does this capability work only with SONY (and select few others)
digital cameras and transfer over data?

And what happens with Movie files from the digital cameras that are
transfered over?

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #84 of 137
I've heard "no" on connecting non-sony digital cameras.

My question is, If you purchased one of Sony's Multi-slot memory stick readers, hooked that in, and then put a CF card into the CF slot, would it transfer over what is on the cards. Because if that is the case, then you can make any camera work. You just use that adaptor, and if you have a SD/MMC camera, then you get a SD/MMC to CF adaptor and then it will copy the pics over.

Might be an interesting experiment if anyone actually had a Sony branded Multi-Solt Memory Card reader and a CF card.

c

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #85 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcheese321
I've heard "no" on connecting non-sony digital cameras.

From Sony: Quote:

*Compatible with USB mass-storage-class digital cameras. Only tested with Sony® Cyber-shot® digital cameras.

It doesn't say non-Sony cameras won't connect.

I'll check it out with my Canon when the Vaio is up and running.

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #86 of 137
Got this player today. Everything works fine so far. SQ is good, comparable to ipod using lineout and amp. Without an amp, I say it sounds better than iPod. One huge disappointment though, it doesn't display chinese characters properly. Just a warning here to some of asian head-fiers.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #87 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
Got this player today. Everything works fine so far. SQ is good, comparable to ipod using lineout and amp. Without an amp, I say it sounds better than iPod. One huge disappointment though, it doesn't display chinese characters properly. Just a warning here to some of asian head-fiers.

Did you have to install the new firmware, or did it already come installed?

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #88 of 137
My brother's Vaio will be arriving today, with my X5 on the way for Tuesday...I'll be able to do a full comparison if anyone would like when both have arrived. Unfortunately the only headphones we have are the ex71 and some new pair of Panasonics my brother ordered for 100 from J&R. I will however compare the screens, sq, battery life, etc. as best as I can.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #89 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
From Sony:

It doesn't say non-Sony cameras won't connect.

I'll check it out with my Canon when the Vaio is up and running.

yea, it doesn't say they won't work, but a couple of people over at FW tried a few Canons (A400 and SI S1) and they didn't work.

I'm waiting to see if it will work, and if not, I might try the Sony Converter/SD Converter thing I was talking about.

c

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #90 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurenuff
Did you have to install the new firmware, or did it already come installed?

I had to download it from vaio-link.com. But it was very easy to update firmware though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back