Sony V6's in Retail Stores
May 4, 2002 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GoNCHeels1

New Head-Fier
I've decided to buy the sony V6's after hearing so many positives on this site, is it possible to get them at any retail stores such as best buy or circuit city or can i only get them online? thanks

May 4, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 14
I dont think BB or CC carry the V6's, try any local guitar center, if their available in your area.

May 5, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 14
Look for the MDR-7506 at various professional musician's and studio shops...also, the 7506's, which are the same as the V6's, can be found in pretty much any recording studio (radio, tv, whatever) in the world.

May 5, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 14
Hi, impoeticpoet

I still want to buy your V6s, if you do decide to sell them
wink.gif

But as far as replacement pads, Sony still sells pleather pads.. I forget where I saw them though.. A better option, I think, would be to replace them with velour pads for the Beyerdynamic DT250. They are a lot more comfy, and fit perfectly. Beyerdynamic sells them directly for around 20ish$ shipped.

Peace,
phidauex

May 5, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 14
The only retail store I've ever seen the V6's in is Fry's Electronics for ~$80. My local one usually has 10+ of them in the headphone aisle.

The pleather pads are only available from Sony. Got to the Parts & Accessories section of their website here and look up part number X21131241. Should be $5.95 each. Otherwise, you might be able to order them from a Sony service center locally.

May 5, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 14
I remember.

Quote:

Originally posted by phidauex
Hi, impoeticpoet

I still want to buy your V6s, if you do decide to sell them
wink.gif

But as far as replacement pads, Sony still sells pleather pads.. I forget where I saw them though.. A better option, I think, would be to replace them with velour pads for the Beyerdynamic DT250. They are a lot more comfy, and fit perfectly. Beyerdynamic sells them directly for around 20ish$ shipped.

Peace,
phidauex

May 5, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Yeah, my local Frys in Fremont carries V6's for $80 too, IMHO just go over there to listen to them (if your Frys has a headphone listening booth) to see if you like them, then order them online for $60 or cheaper used.
wink.gif

May 5, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Actually, I think I have seen them in Best Buy...

May 5, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 14
You lie, surely. I have been to that one, saw none there.

And what's this "headphone listening booth" you speak of? crap, I stopped going there ever since I started shopping on Ebay. :p

Quote:

Originally posted by n4rc0l3pt1c
Yeah, my local Frys in Fremont carries V6's for $80 too, IMHO just go over there to listen to them (if your Frys has a headphone listening booth) to see if you like them, then order them online for $60 or cheaper used.
wink.gif

May 5, 2002 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 14
I've seen them at the Fremont Fry's too. I'm not too sure about that listening station, I wouldn't be surprised if it was playing off something with megabass on. The only time I've tried the V6 was in that listening station and they sounded lousy, not at all like they're described here. If that truly is what they sound like then I have no idea why they're so popular. If you can swing an extra $20 I'd recommend the Sennheiser 280, it's more accurate, better mids, tighter bass and the treble is not as harsh and unforgiving as the V6 (probably where it's analytical reputation comes from).

(HBZ)

May 6, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Gonch---

Etronics is fine; I've used them for a few purchases and they are very reliable.

However, as HBZ states, the 280s are superior to the V6s--they sound better, they're sturdier (though the V6 is pretty tough itself) and the soundstage is deeper than the Sony. The treble is also more balanced and less fatiguing, and even bass extension ( a V6 strength) sounds a lot better with the Senns. When I first bought the 280s, I thought they were about equal to the 280s, but over time I have come to prefer the 280s much more. With the "miracle" of online shopping, the 280s should cost $20-25 more than the V6, and I think you will think the extra money well spent. (And I would never pay $80 for the V6; the people who own Fry's must be quite optimistic...)

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back