Sony V6 good match for ipod?
Mar 30, 2004 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rextrade

500+ Head-Fier
OK--I've decided to be a decent older brother and get my younger bro some real headphpones for his ipod, and computer. He listens to a lot of drum and bass and harder rock. From trolling this board, it seems like the V6s would be a good match for him (he needs closed phones). Will the V6s give him a little slam and can they be driven well from an ipod? Do people really think the high end is that harsh. Are the highs shriller than cheaper Grados (I have the SR 60s and I don't find the highs too harsh, but they're close to being too much)? Any other recommendations for closed phones in that price range?

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 7
The iPod can power the V6s fine, but yeah, the highs are that bad (even worse than the SR60s, which aren't exactly perfect there either).

There's not many options for the price range for closed phones. Basically 280 Pros, E2Cs, and ER6s (thru iDealSound). Each have their compromises. Senns need more power. Shures and Etys may not have the bass you desire. More money though opens the choices. Or you're back to open phones.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Senn 280 pro has a less harshy high than Sony V6, but I prefer V6 over Senn 280. Frankly it is matter of personal preference so only your brother can be the judge. I also found V6 to be more comfortable than HD280. FYI, I have slightly larger than average-size head with average size ears
wink.gif
) To me HD280 felt like vise-grip.

Now, your other options: Audio Technica A500 costs just tad bit more than V6, but it has a much smoother high and can be powered up by iPod. Sony CD780 is an open headphone but it has very smooth/well-balanced sound. CD780 is probably most comfortable set of can at 100 dollar range, but it is not portable and sound do leak in/out.

Buy from a reputable source and good return policy just in case.

[edit: head size reference]

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 7
I can speak for the V6s, and they will have some pretty serious slam from just about anything with a headphone jack. Even my pathetically cheap PCDP runs them quite well. Neither my wife nor I find the highs to be overdone, but neither of us listen to them loud either. To put this into perspective I also like the CD3Ks, which some say are a bit bright. I have used the CD3K with numerous amps and sources and have never found them bright.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks, I actually found a place where I can listen to both the V6 and the A500 so I can decide. I'm not sure why I'm going through all this trouble when my brother will probably only notice the bass, but I feel like I would be neglecting my brotherly duties by not introducing him to decent headphones. Although from reading this site for a while, it may be like getting him hooked on crack.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
The iPod can power the V6s fine, but yeah, the highs are that bad (even worse than the SR60s, which aren't exactly perfect there either).

There's always my Kleenex mod. Try taking a couple of small pieces of kleenex, rolling them into loosely-packed balls, and then placing them very lightly in your ears, so that they sit there without actually blocking much sound to the ear canal. Put your V6s on and listen. Highs are tamed, mids and lows still there. A little detail lost, but overall warmth gained. Stupid sounding mod, but cheap, temporary, and adjustable (and I like the V6 as-is anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back