Sony V6/7506 mod (taming highs!!!)?
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

radiohlite

100+ Head-Fier
I searched everywhere on this board for an answer, and naught.

I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon, besides, my superwoodySR60s keep me happy. BUT: I wanna make these Sonys listenable for portable use. basically it's the massive 2khz/4-5khz spike that bugs the hell out of me, everything else is pretty good.

I already tried putting different amounts of foam between the driver and me ear, and it doesn't work that well. I tried damping the cups, and it pretty much killed the bass and made the highs roller-coaster-uneven. SO: any other mods that might help???

thx in advance.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 8
The upper mids spike can definitely be annoying on those. When I compare them to my akg 240's they're like night and day different. Unfortunately the k240's don't fold up. Sorry to report, but I've never heard of any mods for them either. I'm looking at the new Shure 840's or the m50's for portable use. Maybe you should sell the sony's and look for something second hand that has a more laid back sound signature.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think it would be worth it to go through the effort to mode the V6 to tame the highs. Even if you managed to successfully tame the highs you are still left with a headphone that I consider faulty for music listening. It can be fine for things like field monitoring, but it fails at actual music listening.

The imaging in the V6 is just wrong. It plays games inside my head. If I look up or down while listening the imaging moves around. Sometimes it flips from the front of my head to the back. It is horrible with reproducing binaural recordings. Any headphone that fails so badly with binarual is fundamentally faulty.

The sound from the V6, other than the bit of a treble spike, is nice and clear. Sounds good. The fault is in its ability to do proper imaging and that just kills it for music listening for enjoyment.

I have owned the V6 for over 20 years. I listened to it a lot during college. I haven't listened to it much since now that I have headphones that are actually enjoyable for music listening.

My suggestion would be to look for a different headphone rather than try to mod the V6.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm BROKE, and besides, I enjoy modding. I'm in the ambitious process of making my SR-60s sound like RS-1s (don't laugh just yet! I will succeed!!)

I agree on the wonky soundstage though. sometimes when i get sleepy with them on, the music starts shifting to a weird 'space' neither here nor there, but as long as I can get the frequency response fixed it'll be alright.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 8
I am a bit critical of the V6 due to its peculiar imaging head games. But that's because I've used them for so long and been annoyed so many times by that quirk. Strangely the treble spike doesn't bother me.

Maybe you'll get lucky and discover a mod that fixes the imaging along with fixing the treble spike. That imaging thing is weird. I don't know what would cause it.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 8
dampen the cups and angle the drivers, this will increase the SS depth and kill the whiney trebles...would it be enough to make it acceptable? time to mod the hell out of it to find out
fume.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 8
damn, I was just getting excited opening these up...and off comes the itty bitty wire! now I gotta go to Radioshack tomorrow and get a soldering iron (lost the old one on my last move).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back