Sony SRF-M35...excellent am/fm pocket portable!
Jun 8, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #47 of 59
Fixup
Please send me your name and address and I will sent it to you monday and if it cost something I will pay. Thank you. You could pm me

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #48 of 59
Fixup
I hope that you are the one who gets the box I am sending MON. I have a couple of gifts in it for you. Thank you

Jun 8, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #49 of 59
today i just splurged without really thinking about it that much and got the sony srf-s83...i just have one thing to say to fixup:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RECOMMENDING THIS RADIO!!!

this little thing is absolutely awesome! it's reception is unlike anything i've ever heard from a radio this small. It's sensitivity literally rivals that of my pioneer reciever's tuner. I posted earlier that i was wondering if it could pick up a seattle radio station that i like. IT CAN. This is the only radio besides my at home reciever that can pick up this station on any floor in my house. I am beaming with joy!
biggrin.gif

The sound on this thing is also pretty good, albeit the bass boost is typical sony crap. aside from that, it has good sound, although with my modded sony ex70's it is a little hissy since i use those at such a low volume. With other headphones that require more volume, like my grado 60's, i dont have a problem with hiss.

As fixup says in his article on his site, using 3 gears for the tuner thing does get a little annoying. when you tune it to a faint station, and then let go of the dial, it rolls just a little off, sometimes upsetting the signal. Also, the numbers that correspond to where a station is on the display are a little off, making it harder to find stations by just using the display.

All in all its a pretty good unit. I think i got mine for a good deal as well. It was a demo model, alright aside from some minor scratches and missing the battery cover. I paid $50 canadian for it, plus he gave my a 2 pack of AAA batteries for free. For comparison, the m35 and srf-s84 were both $70 at the store.

I did compare the 83 to the 84, and i think the 83 is better. the 84 just had a little bit of hollowness to the sound, and even without the mega bass it was quite boomy.

Now its time to phone up the local sony building...see if i can get a replacement battery cover...

cheers to fixup!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

btw LTUCCI1924: you seem to have a lot of good things to say about that sangean...just to let you know that i would have gotten that if they sold it in canada....shipping to canada from the states is always a pain...

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #50 of 59
jlo mein,...I just received my SRF-S83 yesterday. At first, I was skeptical of the unit (even e-mailed fixup and questioned them about the mods), however, after playing with the unit all day today, I have to agree. This is a very fine little receiver and the sensitivity is on par with much more expensive radios.

Hats off to fixup.com (Xin, that's you since you did the mods)....Highly recommended!

P.S. What made this unit so appealing to me was the size. This thing is sooo tiny, it's easy to carry anywhere...anytime....!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

What made this unit so appealing to me was the size. This thing is sooo tiny, it's easy to carry anywhere...anytime....!

DITTO!!! i chose this unit over the m35 because its smaller, and ppl said it's just a little more sensitive.

so rickG, you got the modded one from fixup?? how does it sound???

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #52 of 59
After experimenting today, I find I can receive stations (FM) clearly inside my abode that are really fringe on my NAD receiver. The sound is clear with a low noise floor, unlike some of my other portable radios. In short.... a very fine unit , jlo mein.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #53 of 59
Have any of you tried the srf-s50? It's an FM only TINY sony radio that has been on the market for several years. I have used it side by side the (I think) srf-s53 which is more expensive, but the s50 blew it away. Exellent reception!
There is an FM/AM version too, the srf-s80, a bit larger but I havent tried it. Try visiting this site (in chineese) www.gs2100.com
, or go to sony's jp pages, it's full of great stuff we'll never see
frown.gif

Someone ought to open up the s84 and see if the inards are different from the s83.

-Hi Mark! there was to long a waiting time for the Grundig so now I'm back in the market thinking about the M35. Wish it had a sleep timer/auto power of.

Jun 10, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #54 of 59
nice discussion on portable tuners

however, the models mentioned don't seem to be available in singapore

but i have seen the shr-m1 headphone radio

so i'm wondering how this radio compares with the ones mentioned earlier

thanx in advance for any replies

Jun 10, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #55 of 59
Hi EVO!

I visited sony's singapore pages and the have some portable radios among them the s84. If you want the m35 try www.universal-radio.com they send world wide.

One more thing. I have been looking for the Sony icf-sw22 shortwave reciver for a long time (not sold in the EU or US) and found it on those singapore pages. Would be great if you could help me get it! Please send me a mail via linnem@student.hivolda.no thanks!

best regards, martin

p.s. Stay clear of headband radios. You are stuck with a lousy pair of headphones.

Jun 10, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #57 of 59
Gluegun
HI: Rat Shack has a nice pair of folding over the head phones. They are all metal except for the ear pices. I think that the cost 15.00 and sound real good.

Jun 10, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #59 of 59
Gluegun
I am looking at mine now and there is no modle # on them. They are thin metal with plastic half way down the band to the ear pices. I bought these a few years ago but they are like new and sound good. If you want i will send you the ones that I have for free but it would take 2 days usps. If so pm me your address or just go to the store. I whent on line to get the modle # but they were not there. They fold up nicely. My DAD is dead so I would be glad to help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back