Sony SRF-M35...excellent am/fm pocket portable!
May 31, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 59
So, fixup..

Let's assume that someone was buying FROM YOU.

Why would someone choose....

A modified SRF-M35 over a modified SRF-59?

A modified SRF-59 over a modified SRF-M35?

May 31, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #32 of 59
Gluegun,
If someone has to have a digital tuner, M35 is the only choice.
If someone has a Sennhiesor HD600 or ER4S, M35 is a better choice for its higher output level.
Why someone still want a 59? Cheaper, slightly better rejection to invation from nearby stations, deadly quiet background (m35 still has some audible noise, I'm working on this issue), only one AA batt lasting triple longer (I'm really spoiled by this), more fun with manual tuning (at least to someone like me), less fear of dropping or losing it.
Both are decent radios, nobody will be dissappointed with neither of them.

Jun 5, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #33 of 59
Fixup
How can you say that the M35 is the only choice for a digital radio at 18 m/w when you never heard the sangean DT200 that is 28 m/w strong and very clear? If you got a DT200 and did a mod to it I would be interested. But how do you make statements like you do when you don't even try other high end radios? Are you only trying to sell the m35 then I understand. I am not trying to be a smart ass about this, but I have found the DT200 to be the best radio that I ever had. If you can tell me about a better portable sounding radio, please do as I want the best portable radio that I can get. I mean no afense to you but want the very best. I hope you understand. Please respond.

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #34 of 59
LTUCCI, it is impossible to try all. I thought DT-110 was the best that Sangean could offer because Headroom said so. And I did try all the radios that RadioShack carry, which may include DT-200 or -300.

Maybe Headroom puts sound quality as the first thing to check when they rank a radio. I put sensitivity and selectivity as the #1 thing when I check a radio, because it is relatively easier to improve the sound than its reception. Anyway, I'll give DT-200 a try to see if it has a better reception.

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #35 of 59
has anyone heard of the sony -S84 radio??? it seems to be an updated model of the -S83...both radios sell for the same price at a local store...

the -S84 is about the same size, weight, and uses one AAA battery like the 83...its silver and has the new W symbol used on all of sony's walkman products now...

does anyone know if it has any changes to it besides case and colour??? does it have updated guts??

if not...im going to just go and buy the 83 since it looks more classic sony...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 59
Fixup
Thank you for your quick response. I like TOD at headroom very much, but the 110 sucks. I owne it. It has a meager 3.5 m/w out put and sounds ok. But it as you all ready know it ant the best portable radio. The sangean DT200 is not at radio shack but you could get it at sangean web site. I payed 46.00 for it but befor I did I called the co. and asked them what was their best radio for sensativity and reception and clearness and the tech said that if I dont mind not getting a lot of extra features that the DT200 was buy a long shot the best one to get. I mean a digital radio of course. I really hope you look into this because I think that you know a lot more than me on this best radio issue and if you try the sangean see if there are any mods that you can do to it, like boosting up the power. It use 2 AA batt. When you are done I will buy the best choice that you think is best. For me a great portable radio with some power is a must have. I use mine every day and nite besides my mini disc. Thanks for your understanding and I only want the very best of the portable radio that I use so much. It is a big part of my life and has been for years.
ps
The size is like a pack of 100's cigarettes
DT200V
PLL Synthesized Tuning
TV Channels 2-13
19 Memory Presets
Auto-Scanning
Built-In Speaker
Auto Shut-off
High Impact ABS Case
State-of-the-art Design
Extendable headphones included
Removable Belt Clip

SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency Range:
AM 520- 1620 KHz
FM88- 108 MHz
TVCh2- 13 (VHF)
Type: FM-stereo(via headphone),standard AM band(mono)TV band (mono)
Output Power: 90 mW(10%THD) via speaker
28 mW(10%THD) via headphone
Speaker: 1 inch diameter, 4 ohms impedance
External Power: SPKR: AM 60mA FM/TV 78mA EARPHONES: AM 50mA FM/TV 68mA
Batteries: 3 volts (AA size) x 2
Dimensions: 4-3/8"H x 2-5/8"W x 3/4"D
Weight: 5.0 ounces approximately without batteries

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #39 of 59
I went to Fry's (who carry Sangean radios) and compared a DT-200V with my SRF-S83. My impression with DT-200V is: very clean, very fast and very powerful.
It is better than DT-110 on every aspects, except the direction of the belt clip is mounted - vertically too long to be belted to your heap. It is a true pocket radio - perfect being in a pocket but forget about belting it to anywhere. It is very sensitive and selective, almost the same as those of S83, much better than DT-110 for sure. For very weak staions, S83 is still more listenable for higher S/N ratio. Middle frequency range is almost perfect - bright, very articulate, the best I've heard from a radio so far, while there is more to be desired in the bass - not so deep and warm. In comparison, M35 has more vivid and extended bass and treble.
DT-200V is selling at $55 in the store. The followings are read from its manual:

Output: 60 mW (10% THD) with the built-in speaker (4 ohm)
Power:
AM 60 mA (Speaker) 50 mA (Earphone)
FM 78 mA (SPeaker) 68 mA (Earphone)
Size: 4 1/8 x 2 5/8 x 3/4
Weight: 5 ounce

The bottom line: I cannot see why should I choose DT-200V over SRF-M35 ($30 from my local Tower Records) for the double cost, double length and double power consumption, unless I need the built-in speaker and something better than DT-110 but not from Sony.

P.S.: I really want to hear from someone from Headroom: for what they chose DT-110 over DT-200?

Jun 8, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #40 of 59
FIXUP:
HI. I am glad that you saw the DT200v. Now help me out with my radio choice please. I allready owne the DT200v but do you fell that the mod. M 35 would be a better portable radio and if so why. It is 18 m/w power ver. 28 m/w power but I dont need the speaker or the tv stations. I just want a great radio. What would you do in my case. Please get back to me on this issue.
ps
If I sent you my dt200v can you do any mods to it to inprove the bass, maby disconect the speaker and tv stations to give it more power. Do any inprovements on it at all or do you think that I would be better off with the mod m35 over the Dt200v?
ant the mod. m35 55.00 the same price as my DT200v?

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #41 of 59
LTUCCI,
DT-200 is indeed among the best of reception and sound, slightly better than M35, just its extra cost and size makes it hard to convince me to buy it. If its size is not a problem to you, I'd suggest that you stay with it and you are not missing anything, really.

Generally, I'd go for:

SRF-S83 for its smaller size and better reception;
SRF-M35 for its better sound and digital tuner;
SRF-59 for its lower cost and longer battery life.

Either of them is not dissappointing on reception and sound (SRF-59 must be modified though). Just go for what's most important to you.

Jlo, I have not had a chance to touch a 84 yet, but I beleive it is the UK version of US S83. Its better battery life makes me wonder if the ICs in 84 are significantly different and result in worse sound like the M95.

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #42 of 59
well in canada the 84 is available, and for the same price as the 83. After your comments i think i'm going to either get the 83 or the m35.

so far, i'm having a hard time choosing. I like to listen to a seattle radio station from home (in vancouver, canada). I thought *maybe* the 83 might be sensitive enough to pick it up. But then the digital tuner of the m35 is really appealing. On the other hand i can stick the 83 anywhere since its small and light.

so just curious, do you think the 83 will pick up a seattle radio station from vancouver?

Jun 8, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #43 of 59
Fixup
Thanks for the time and effert that you put into the issue. It is nice that you are willing to look at other stuff and help use guys out. You have my respect. Thank you again.

Jun 8, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #44 of 59
As a person who listens to long-form programs on fm ("What do you know" with Michael Feldman, "Wait, Wait, don't tell me" the NPR news quiz, and "A Prarie Home Companion" included among them), the 90 minute auto-turnoff is a real "turnoff" to me! I wonder if there's an easy way to defeat it? I know that with later Sangean radios, you can turn off the "turnoff" by holding down the power button a couple of seconds at turnon. I don't think this works with the DT-200.

Maybe I'm weird, but I just hate the idea of my radio deciding when it's time to quit listening! And since I also record lots of radio programs, "time-shifting" them for later, the DT-200 is INTOLERABLE for this task!

The thing is, if they'd made the turnoff cycle 2 hours, or better yet 2 1/2 hours, I wouldn't object, because I rarely listen to, or record, shows that are more than 2 hours in length.

Jun 8, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #45 of 59
Mike Walker
HI MIKE. Sorry to tell you this but the DT200v auto off at 1 hour and there is no override unless fixup can do something about this. I wish fixup could do some mods to the DT200v. I would gladly send mine to fix up to try some mods on it and pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back