Sony Sound (Is it better than Apple's?)
Apr 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Neithan

500+ Head-Fier
So my iPod Touch (1st gen) is starting give up on me... Crashes, the battery life as decreased a lot so I'm thinking about getting a new player.

I LOVE the iPod Touch interface but i don't think the sound is very very good... I'ts better since i got the HJE-900 but even so I think the sound is a bit "lifeless"...

So i found some deals for the Sony NWZA845B and the reviews said it sound great. But is it really better than the iPod (or any other main stream DAP for that matter?)

Can he drive full-size headphones like the M50 and Shure 840?

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 31
I'm a former Touch user and I currently have the NWZ-728.

The sound is indeed much better than the iPod's.  
The interface is, uh, "utilitarian."  It's perfect for playing mp3s but doesn't do much else.
Video is crappier than when played on the iPod.
It drives headphones just fine; better than the iPod touch.
It is better (SQ wise) than the Sansa Clip+ (which I also own).  

I've owned the Touch and Nano and was left deeply unimpressed by both.  I am very happy whenever I leave home with my Sony.  

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 31

Quote:
I'm a former Touch user and I currently have the NWZ-728.

The sound is indeed much better than the iPod's.  
The interface is, uh, "utilitarian."  It's perfect for playing mp3s but doesn't do much else.
Video is crappier than when played on the iPod.
It drives headphones just fine; better than the iPod touch.
It is better (SQ wise) than the Sansa Clip+ (which I also own).  

I've owned the Touch and Nano and was left deeply unimpressed by both.  I am very happy whenever I leave home with my Sony.  

How is it better? More agressive?

And when compared whit Sflow, cowon, Samsung...?

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 31
The Sony X1060 has internal digital AMPs and it sound better than any ipod with line-out to use external AMPs.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 31
The sound is more sparkly and "alive".  The bass is much better; louder without being overwhelming.  I hear much more detail with the Sony than with the iPod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neithan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How is it better? More agressive?

And when compared whit Sflow, cowon, Samsung...?

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 31
For example Touch4G sounds very similar with Sony S754 on 1 driver armature earphones, such as Shure se 210, 310, Mee a151.
Sony sounds more warm and more fun, Apple more detailed, bigger soundstage. All of them are little thin. iTouch much louder.
Now i'm listening Sony with Altec inMotion (Etymotics clones what model i don't know:)) and i've got wow-effect:)
Lot of details, very good powerful bass, pretty mids, interesting highs, very good vocal, good soundstage.
This iems are not fun, they are cold and analytical, without any magic on Zune (HD and 30), Sansa Clip/Fuze (+ Rockbox), iPod Touch 2,3,4G, but with Sony they became very good, very musical, very interesting sound. 
I'm really impressed.
Want to try original Ety with this small friend:)
Also i found that S750 sound is much more interesting than A840.
A840 has a lot of hiss, not powerful sound, not very interesting, S750 sounds twice better in each aspect IMO.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 31
Well i'm know waitting for my Sony NWZ-A 845B... I hope my Panasonic HJE-900 sound even better with Sony =)

I will keep my 1st Gen iPod Touch because i love the interface and the apps and the possibility of having wireless in the university =)

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #11 of 31
I really like the sound of my 4th gen Touch, especially when using the Equalizer app. I also really enjoy the sound of my Sony S639....never heard a Sony X or A-series though.

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 31
I enjoyed my NW-HD5, NWZ-X1060 and NW-A847 (btw, why aren't you looking at japanese high-capacity A84* series?)
And ipod video (5th gen, rockbox, lossless) sounded like... well, there was some sound.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
What do you mean? Aren't the A series all the same both in Europe and in Japan??

No, they aren't the same when it comes to the EU volume cap. The Japanese model is much better at driving more power hungry cans and IEM's, the EU model's volume is pathetically low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back