Sony, Sennheiser, Razer or Philips? Need help choosing..
Apr 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hemingway70

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 
After almost 4 years of use, my Technics RP-F300 has finally died out on me. I've been trying to decide on what should I get this time based on the price and availability of the models in my area (I live in UAE). I've finalised on this shortlist:

1. Sony's XB500 -  $70
2. Sennheiser's HD419  -  $82
3. Razer Electra - $80
4. Philips SHG8000  - $68

I've checked out reviews for the first 3 (couldn't find any for the Philips) and I kind lean towards the XB500. From what I've read, it appears to be one of the best bassy headphones for the price and I kind of like punchy bass. Also I believe that can be corrected by fiddling with the EQ a bit. My main use for the headphone would be for gaming and watching movies and a little music. I'll be using the headphones at around 45-55% of the volume so it should leak little to no sound at that volume or at least a person 2-3 feet away from me shouldn't discern what I'm listening to.

I know that these models are cheaper on amazon but if I add the shipping costs it becomes more expensive. So which of these models do you all think I should get? 

Thanks!

May 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Both the Razor and the Phillips are gaming headphones. This forum doesn't really review gaming headphones. We mostly care about headphones that are dedicated for music.

I only heard XB500 out of your list. It is a good bet if you like bass. I have heard a number of Senn HD4xx series (though not HD419), and none of them are good for my ears.

You really have to put them on and distinguish them yourself.

May 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for replying Arctia. I was sceptical about the Sennheisers because the majority recommend the HD2xx series and HD6xx series. I chose these because these are the cheapest in the country (I mean $80 for HD419 when amazon has it for $34). I would have tried it out but they don't offer test models, its all sealed in its packages. 
And regarding the gaming headphones, I wasn't aware of that fact. I did notice some razer reviews and while not the best, it suited its gaming purpose. I couldn't find comparisons however as to how it stands up against the XB500 and which would be a better option.

May 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 7
If I were you and must decide between those 4 headphones, XB500 would be my choice.
Senns 419 looks quite cheap, and I didn't have a good experience in terms of sound quality with cheap Sennheisers.
Far from being audiophile headphones, Sony's XB500 appear to be a great choice for some movies, where often a lot of bass is really enjoyable. They also looks pretty well IMO.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back