Sony SBH80: Wireless to the Next Level: Review
Jul 10, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #46 of 161
The Sony NWZ-WS615s came in today, but a little too late for a work 5K event we had this afternoon.  So, haven't "field-tested" these yet.  However, I've spent the past couple of hours getting them up and running.  Paired with my HTC M8 without an issue and tried streaming some Pandora via the BT function with the stock tips.  Kind of sound like crap to be honest.  Started to get a little disheartened.  Wait...there's a SongPal app available to create a custom EQ for it.  Downloaded it and made a few adjustments.  Ok, that's better.  But these stock tips still suck.  Slapped some Complys on them and there we go, that made a wonderful difference along with the EQ settings.  Lots of functionality in these things and so far so good.  Nice punch bass...what I mainly look for in a workout headphone.  Seemed pretty locked and loaded in the ears and that they wouldn't come loose easily.  This will be fully tested tomorrow morning at the gym with some cardio and weights.  May not have a chance to run with them for a few days.  Will do more of a write-up later this weekend.  Found a workaround for getting itunes playlists on them too using Sony's Media Go software.  Last thing I want to do is re-create all my playlists and this works for me.  Really impressed by sound so far for what these offer.  Daily drivers are a pair of Westone 3s.  I'm not into describing sound qualities and sparkling highs and all that.  Basically, do they sound good for working out as sound quality is not the main goal, but is it acceptable to listen to while working out and not sound like crap.  These do not sound like crap.

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #47 of 161
  The Sony NWZ-WS615s came in today, but a little too late for a work 5K event we had this afternoon.  So, haven't "field-tested" these yet.  However, I've spent the past couple of hours getting them up and running.  Paired with my HTC M8 without an issue and tried streaming some Pandora via the BT function with the stock tips.  Kind of sound like crap to be honest.  Started to get a little disheartened.  Wait...there's a SongPal app available to create a custom EQ for it.  Downloaded it and made a few adjustments.  Ok, that's better.  But these stock tips still suck.  Slapped some Complys on them and there we go, that made a wonderful difference along with the EQ settings.  Lots of functionality in these things and so far so good.  Nice punch bass...what I mainly look for in a workout headphone.  Seemed pretty locked and loaded in the ears and that they wouldn't come loose easily.  This will be fully tested tomorrow morning at the gym with some cardio and weights.  May not have a chance to run with them for a few days.  Will do more of a write-up later this weekend.  Found a workaround for getting itunes playlists on them too using Sony's Media Go software.  Last thing I want to do is re-create all my playlists and this works for me.  Really impressed by sound so far for what these offer.  Daily drivers are a pair of Westone 3s.  I'm not into describing sound qualities and sparkling highs and all that.  Basically, do they sound good for working out as sound quality is not the main goal, but is it acceptable to listen to while working out and not sound like crap.  These do not sound like crap.

SBH80 on the other hand, imo, sounds much better. None of Sony's BT offerings, even their walkman models, impressed me. SBH80 isn't meant to be an workout IEM, but is fairly well suited for a workout. And is more than acceptable to listen to, whether during workout or not.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #48 of 161
Hey, to each their own.  The killer feature for me with the 615s is the waterproof feature.  If I can have waterproof and good sound quality, which is where I would rank these, then I'll be ecstatic.  Here's a list of "sport" earbuds I've burned through over the past 3 years:

1. 4 Monster iSport Immersions - maybe more, I lost track
  2. Klipsch S4 - not classified as a sport model, but torched them nonetheless
  3. Westone ADV Alpha
  4. Denon Freaq - lasted less than a week
  5. Meelectronics M6 - previous version
  6. Meelectronics S6 - lasted the longest using them off and on, but cables finally frayed
  7. RBH EP-SB - by far the best sounding BT set I've ever heard, but lasted me less than a month
  8. Westone 3 - tried using these as a holdover once, but burned out one of the drivers from sweat.  Thankfully, Westone replaced them under warranty
  9. Meelectronics X6 - sound decent and durable, but would keep falling out of my ears on runs.  If you do just cardio and weights, these would be a good cost-effective option

I've been around the block a few times on sport earbuds.  The last thing I need is to be fidgeting or messing with my buds while running or working out.  It's very distracting.  I will say that the BT streaming audio sounds a bit less than stellar (nowhere near the EP-SB) and not as good as when in Walkman mode.

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #50 of 161
I'm considering the EP-SB for the gym, how did they break?
Have you heard any of the LG Tones?

EP-SB is great for the gym and working out.  The specific problem I had with them was when running.  I sweat quite a bit when running and that's when they would act up on me.  After a run, they wouldn't turn on for a day or 2.  I think the problem was sweat getting into the microphone hole. There's a tiny opening on the control pad on the wires.  Actually, had a conversation with RBH about it and they were surprised as they said they haven't had any other issues with this.  Now, after returning them, I thought about buying them again and taping or sealing the mic hole to see if that would solve the problem.  I decided to take a chance on the 615s instead and, so far, glad I went that route.  Sound quality isn't on par with the EP-SB, but very acceptable.  I tested them yesterday during a 1 hour workout mainly with weights and they performed like a champ.  Played music in Walkman mode.  Had to adjust a few times while working out, but nothing major.  This was right after a 30 elliptical stint that I worked up a good sweat on.  Also, tried using with my phone yesterday for a few calls and they performed very well there too.  Other person said I sounded fine, different, but fine.  Allows me to multi-task around the house.  Big test this afternoon as I'll wear them cutting the yard and it's supposed to be in the 90s today in STL.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #52 of 161
I'm considering the EP-SB for the gym, how did they break?
Have you heard any of the LG Tones?

Tones are also great. They measure well, and perform well. If I had to pick a competitor for SBH80 in terms of SQ, Tone +(hbs-900) would be it. Tone + is the only tone I would recommend though. The only one with apt-x and h/k tuning.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #53 of 161
Official swamp ***** alert today in STL.  Just finished the yard and sweated buckets.  615s held up well.  Threw an hour of gym time in before the yard and they continue to impress.  Stayed locked and loaded during cutting grass.  Few times I got sweat lock when looking down, but only lasted a second or two once I looked back up.  I actually might try the large size Comply tips on these for even better seal.  I have mediums on them now.  Found with these buds with smaller nozzles, you can squish the foam down more around tube and plug them in.  I'm flying out tomorrow morning to Charlotte, but will have a few hours to kill before business dinner.  Think it's time for these to make their debut for a run...

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #54 of 161
EP-SB is great for the gym and working out.  The specific problem I had with them was when running.  I sweat quite a bit when running and that's when they would act up on me.  After a run, they wouldn't turn on for a day or 2.  I think the problem was sweat getting into the microphone hole. There's a tiny opening on the control pad on the wires.  Actually, had a conversation with RBH about it and they were surprised as they said they haven't had any other issues with this.  Now, after returning them, I thought about buying them again and taping or sealing the mic hole to see if that would solve the problem.  I decided to take a chance on the 615s instead and, so far, glad I went that route.  Sound quality isn't on par with the EP-SB, but very acceptable.  I tested them yesterday during a 1 hour workout mainly with weights and they performed like a champ.  Played music in Walkman mode.  Had to adjust a few times while working out, but nothing major.  This was right after a 30 elliptical stint that I worked up a good sweat on.  Also, tried using with my phone yesterday for a few calls and they performed very well there too.  Other person said I sounded fine, different, but fine.  Allows me to multi-task around the house.  Big test this afternoon as I'll wear them cutting the yard and it's supposed to be in the 90s today in STL.

Heard a few songs with the EP SB.
First time listening to a BT: I liked the clarity, nice treble and sub bass. I would prefer greater midbass, but not bass head, for a gym phone.
The sound stage seemed small.
I'm used to SM3 and EX1000.
Suggestions appreciated.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #55 of 161
Have you tried the SBH80s as well? Curious as to how the EP-SBs and SBH80s compare. From what I've heard they're two of the few bluetooth IEMs that can compete with wired ones in terms of sound quality.

Quote:
Heard a few songs with the EP SB.
First time listening to a BT: I liked the clarity, nice treble and sub bass. I would prefer greater midbass, but not bass head, for a gym phone.
The sound stage seemed small.
I'm used to SM3 and EX1000.
Suggestions appreciated.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #56 of 161
I just tried the SBH70 today. It was priced above the 80 for some reason. I still prefer the 80 though. But if you would prefer a light fit and need less isolation, I don't see how you can go wrong with the 70. It's kind of a similar sound sig.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #60 of 161
I got it, amazing sound, but how is it compared to Carbo Tenore, or EPH-100 Yamaha?

I don't think any of them is amazing, but they're all above average choices.

Vs. SBH80:

EPH100 hits harder in the bass and is darker overall. Comfort is slightly below average because it has thick nozzles and inflexible, but not noise-bearing, cables.

Tenore is more resolving, but also smoother and more rolled off in the highs. SQ and build are somewhat inconsistent.

Sound: Tenore > SBH80 > EPH100

I've used the Sony often this summer because it's wireless and has a great mic for phone calls.

Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back