Sony/Sanyo Gumstick???
May 22, 2002 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hussman

New Head-Fier
I just received my order from Sony today. I ordered two Ni-Cad Gumsticks for my D-777 (I already have a set but just thought I'd buy another). I opened up the box and to my surprise they have sent me Sanyo Gumsticks!!! I guess we should start looking for the Sanyo ones...maybe they are cheaper?

Hussein

May 22, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 10
The Sanyo gum sticks are what came with my Iriver SlimX. I didn't think it was strange for Iriver to use them. Sony selling them is rather odd. Iriver sells them on their website for $22 if I remember right.

May 22, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 10
Sanyo's big in the rechargeable battery business, IIRC... perhaps Sony wanted to concentrate on lithium-ion) and outsourced them from Sanyo? Don't recall really seeing Ni-Cd and Ni-MH from Sony's battery subsidiary in a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, it is quite possible that Sony (and others like Sharp) gumsticks are made by Sanyo. I recently replaced a gumstick and both Sharp and Sony NiMH cells come with a small engraving on the negative poll reading HR. This is exactly the same as on my Sanyo AAs.
If this is indeed the case it's good news since Sanyo is a leading manufacturer of secondary cells.

May 22, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 10
I've noticed that the price on the Sony gumstick has come down, sharply. That's OK with me, as my R909 and E707 use them, plus my D-EJ925 uses *two* gums....
frown.gif

May 23, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 10
Sanyo has made batteries for a long time. No worse than SONY.
Be happy. Use them.

May 23, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 10
According to minidisc guys, you can use Sony gumstick in Sharp minidisc units. So it wouldn't be surprised if they were 3rd party product...

May 24, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 10
But I always thought Sharp had a different design (3.6V chocolate bar) than Sony (1.2V chewing gum)...

May 24, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
According to minidisc guys, you can use Sony gumstick in Sharp minidisc units. So it wouldn't be surprised if they were 3rd party product...

That's exactly what I'm doing. The NiMH gumsticks from Sony and Sharp are absolutely interchangable.

krayzie,
You are talking about the older LiIon cells. All post MT831 units from Sharp come with 1.2 V 1400 mAh NiMH gumstick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back