Sony S639F Superb sound
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Artmuzz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Today I bought the Sony S639F player and I am impressed with the sound.
atsmile.gif

I played Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album and by selecting Arena in the VPT surround settings it breathed new life into the vocals and instruments giving them a 3D kind of sound. The vocals sound as if I am actually at a Goldfrapp concert and the percussion, bass and synths surround my head. This is the case with every album I have played on my Sony S639F. Other VPT surround presets on the S639F are Studio, Live (another good preset), Club, Matrix (enhances the sound) and Karaoke (I don't know why they called it that as I still hear the vocals LOL
tongue.gif
). The Clear Bass on the EQ gives the bass more body while the Clear Stereo gives true stereo. The player also has video and FM radio but I'm not interested in that.

The sound on this player is so crisp, detailed and brings out certain sounds I have never heard before. I feel this player has a much better SQ than my Cowon D2.

I won't be getting rid of my D2 though as I will keep that for recording DAB and as a voice recorder as the S639F lacks the record functions but as an MP3 player my S639F will definately be used.

Artmuzz

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm still enjoying the sound quality of my Sony but when transferring files from my Macbook Pro to my Sony S639F using drag and drop it is slower than my D2.

Artmuzz

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 21
Okay, After comparing the 3D stereo EQ on my Cowon D2 with the Matrix preset on the VPT Surround on my Sony S639F I feel that the Matrix preset doesn't give true 3D stereo widening like the Cowon D2 does
frown.gif

The Matrix preset still produces a very good sound but doesn't give the stereo widening like the 3D stereo does on my Cowon D2.

IMO The VPT surround only changes the color of the sound to give an impression of surround effects.

Artmuzz

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 21
Interesting observations, findings and impressions Artmuzz! I do appreciate you spending the time to share them. I'm gona have both players in my hands sometime thursday- ordering them, plus the sans fuze, samsung yp-q1, ipod classic and ipod nano- off advancedmp3players- and will be able to examine myself! Be interesting to see if my observations match yours
cool.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 21
The Sony S639F is a brilliant sounding player. In fact its the best sounding player I have owned but even though I feel the VPT "surround" effects make the music sound really good and put a touch of ambience on the music they don't spread out the stereo sound like stereo widening does. On some tracks with the 3D stereo widening effect on the Cowon D2 it adds a bit of gloss and reverb to the the vocals (on some tracks depending on which way the vocals were recorded) aswell as spread out the stereo field. Some of the VPT presets on the Sony like Live and Arena sound somewhere between stereo and mono.

I was hoping the Clear Stereo would of given me a stereo widening effect but that doesn't do it either.

A stereo widening option on the Sony would of been fantastic considering the Sony is a great sound player. I know Sony's mobile phones have this option but its sadly lacking from their mp3 players.

Anyway the Sony S639F is a great player and better sounding than my Cowon D2 IMHO.

Artmuzz

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 21
How is the S639F's stock 3D soundstaging?

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 21
The Sony's stock earphones are as good as my Sennheiser CX300 earphones and the 3D soundstage is good but they are a sort of 3D soundstaging without the stereo widening.

Artmuzz

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 21
What would you recommend if I listen to rock and folk, the Sansa Clip or the Sony?

And the Sony can play WAV, right?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 21
I've never tried the Sansa Clip but the Sony S639F is excellent at Rock and Folk. Just adjust the EQ on the Sony for any types of music.

AFAIK the Sony does play WAV.

Artmuzz

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 21
Yes, just as I said WAV is supported on the Sony S639F.

PCM is also supported.

Artmuzz

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Yes, WAV is gapless. I'm not sure if PCM and AAC is gapless though.

Artmuzz

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artmuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, WAV is gapless. I'm not sure if PCM and AAC is gapless though.

Artmuzz

Yeah, as anticipated lol. Still, gapless option is there, which, is, not being a massive requirement in a DAP for me, is nice for if and when I might wana utilise it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back