Sony R10
post-1460192
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 19

ken_loo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
325
Likes
0
So what is it about the r10s? Zanth was nice enough to have me over to give a bunch of things a listen.

The r10 were a massive disappointment especially with all the hype around them. There was almost no bass to speak of, and they sounded bright to the point of being piercing. Mids were alright I suppose.

We used two amps at Zanth's place too.
Ear hp4
Stealth (OW
)

So once again, what is it about the r10?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460217
Post #2 of 19

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
3,487
Reaction score
18
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Posts
3,487
Likes
18
I dunno but I'd really like to try out that ear hp4 hehe.

Biggie.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460224
Post #3 of 19

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
11
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Posts
5,014
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
So what is it about the r10s? Zanth was nice enough to have me over to give a bunch of things a listen.

The r10 were a massive disappointment especially with all the hype around them. There was almost no bass to speak of, and they sounded bright to the point of being piercing. Mids were alright I suppose.

We used two amps at Zanth's place too.
Ear hp4
Stealth (OW
)

So once again, what is it about the r10?



Are you deaf or something. How could you miss that devestating impact? Were you lot smoking crack or something?


So how did you like the Ear Hp4? So what else did you listen to? The Omega's? The he60's?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460267
Post #4 of 19

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
12,882
Reaction score
20
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Posts
12,882
Likes
20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
So what is it about the r10s? Zanth was nice enough to have me over to give a bunch of things a listen.

The r10 were a massive disappointment especially with all the hype around them. There was almost no bass to speak of, and they sounded bright to the point of being piercing. Mids were alright I suppose.

We used two amps at Zanth's place too.
Ear hp4
Stealth (OW
)

So once again, what is it about the r10?



If you find the R-10 that way, definitely something was wrong there, the amps are fine for it, not the best for the R-10 according to some R-10 owners, but very good amps, and they should sounded good, maybe you do notl ike them anyway, preference issue, but to sound bad is another thing...
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460268
Post #5 of 19

ken_loo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
325
Likes
0
The hp4 handled anything we threw at it and sounded just amazing. It's on my short list to buy but things are getting hard to justify.

The HE60 really did not impress me either. If this is supposed to be 80 to 90% of the HE90s, I will not be chasing either of them down. There is no doubt they sound good, however, the hd650 do not seem to be that much behind.

I really enjoyed the Omega IIs though. I though they sounded really great out of the stax amp. Didn't have a chance to try it on the KGSS.

I also liked the PS-1. It's the only grado that seems to mesh well with the bowls IMO. I used to like bowls but am a flats convert. I don't know how you can listen to the PS-1s with flats, Mike. Damn near bowel shaking
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460274
Post #6 of 19

ken_loo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Posts
325
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
If you find the R-10 that way, definitely something was wrong there, the amps are fine for it, not the best for the R-10 according to some R-10 owners, but very good amps, and they should sounded good, maybe you do notl ike them anyway, preference issue, but to sound bad is another thing...


It was painful out of the stealth. The highs were like daggers on the ears. They are definitely not my cup of tea. I came into this worried that I would be chasing r10s down. Thank goodness I won't have a huge void in my wallet now.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460290
Post #7 of 19

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
11
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Posts
5,014
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
The hp4 handled anything we threw at it and sounded just amazing. It's on my short list to buy but things are getting hard to justify.

The HE60 really did not impress me either. If this is supposed to be 80 to 90% of the HE90s, I will not be chasing either of them down. There is no doubt they sound good, however, the hd650 do not seem to be that much behind.

I really enjoyed the Omega IIs though. I though they sounded really great out of the stax amp. Didn't have a chance to try it on the KGSS.

I also liked the PS-1. It's the only grado that seems to mesh well with the bowls IMO. I used to like bowls but am a flats convert. I don't know how you can listen to the PS-1s with flats, Mike. Damn near bowel shaking



Bowls?? with Ps-1's. Right you gotta stop this bowl nonesense with Ps-1's. Well what's the point of being a basshead if you are not going to use the flats?

If I had an equaliser i would get them to go lower....

In reality I partner it with an amp with doesn't have the bottom end slam. What happens is the bass aspect of the Ps-1 synergises with slam shy amp and it balances out. That way the mids of Ps-1's are not overwhelmed. It then gives a more balanced sound across the range. Partner it wrong and the mids of the Ps-1's sound univolving. Why? Because the bass overwhelms the mids. This gives the impressions of the mids and highs being recessed.

But when I need the bass lovin fun then I partner it with an amp which has the low end slam. Then that's when the fun really begins. Leftfield, orbital, U2, RATM, Metallica (I prefer their old stuff). Alot of headfiers claim to be a basshead whore. Only a few will go the whole way with Ps-1's+flats.


Ps-1's+bowls=Basshead wannabe's. Bass for girls.
Ps-1+flats=Doing it hardcore style.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460323
Post #8 of 19

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
8,604
Reaction score
13
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Posts
8,604
Likes
13
hmm if you like HD650, Omega II, and PS1s, the trend seems to be you like more bass
and less treble. It could that your hearing and/or preferences are different than other here. Nothing wrong with that. I think R10s are just okay. But I don't like HD650, Omega II, or PS1s though. Goes to show how we're all different.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460829
Post #9 of 19

solvexyz

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Posts
1,117
Likes
10


R10, Can not sound that bad. Something must go wrong. By the way, R10 looks like that, maybe you were mistaken.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460847
Post #10 of 19

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 13, 2003
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
14
Joined
May 13, 2003
Posts
3,667
Likes
14
I am a fan of the R10. For me only the R10 and the HE-90 are transparent as to completely get out of the way of the music. My primary headphone is the Omega 2, which is really good but I don't hold it in the same level as the above two cans.

The R10 should match up just fine with the EAR HP-4. It could just be that the R10 doesn't float your boat. Nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of other great cans to choose from. Also, it can take some time to adjust to different tonal balances (coming from the Omega 2 anything will sound bright).

Did you listen to the HE-60 out of the Stax amp? That's a really nice combo. Not for bassheads though
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460894
Post #11 of 19

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Joined
Aug 12, 2001
Messages
7,820
Reaction score
23
Joined
Aug 12, 2001
Posts
7,820
Likes
23
If that's the R10 I think it is, I know it pretty well. Should be serial number 13. I got it from Vertigo-1 and owned it for a few years. I sold when I wanted one of my R10's to be newer production (now have 308, which sounds identical to 13, and 1173, which does not). Getting the HP4 and that R10 to work well together was an experience. Tubes, interconnects, source, power cords, phase of the moon, etc. are all critical. If the stock tubes were in the HP4, that's where the brightness is coming from. Those are Sovteks, and can be painful with the R10. There should be a thread about with some of the tube variations I went through. Interconnects were Virtual Dynamic Nite series, as were power cords. The older R10 will sound good out of HP4, but only if everything else is right. The newer ones are much less critical, and don't require anywhere near the amount of tweaking to get a good sound out of them.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1460983
Post #12 of 19

hawky

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
102
Reaction score
0
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Posts
102
Likes
0
I think he is lucky to not like them, wait, no, his wallet is lucky.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1461017
Post #13 of 19

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 13, 2003
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
14
Joined
May 13, 2003
Posts
3,667
Likes
14
That number 13 always sounded anemic and bright to me. I felt the same way when I recently heard #308. I felt like ken-loo did for a long time until I got a good listen to a more recent production R10. That's when the R10 took ahold of me and won me over.

I recently owned 1186 for a couple of months which I sold purely for financial reasons. I hold it in the highest regard.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
If that's the R10 I think it is, I know it pretty well. Should be serial number 13. I got it from Vertigo-1 and owned it for a few years. I sold when I wanted one of my R10's to be newer production (now have 308, which sounds identical to 13, and 1173, which does not). Getting the HP4 and that R10 to work well together was an experience. Tubes, interconnects, source, power cords, phase of the moon, etc. are all critical. If the stock tubes were in the HP4, that's where the brightness is coming from. Those are Sovteks, and can be painful with the R10. There should be a thread about with some of the tube variations I went through. Interconnects were Virtual Dynamic Nite series, as were power cords. The older R10 will sound good out of HP4, but only if everything else is right. The newer ones are much less critical, and don't require anywhere near the amount of tweaking to get a good sound out of them.


 
     Share This Post       
post-1461046
Post #14 of 19

Kameleon

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
695
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Posts
695
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Ps-1's+bowls=Basshead wannabe's. Bass for girls.
Ps-1+flats=Doing it hardcore style.



Have you tried unported Beta C-pads?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1462431
Post #15 of 19

fr4c

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Messages
3,186
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 7, 2004
Posts
3,186
Likes
10
the R10's are very picky headphones, and requires dedication and time to source out the right amps, source, and interconnects. the cost factor is obvious, but it is a very interesting experience nonetheless.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top