Sony Qualia vs. AKG K1000
Jul 5, 2005 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
Did anybody compare the two? From what I read so far, their sound should be similar (no deep bass, extremely detailed), is this really the case? Maybe somebody who used extensively both headphones could offer some impressions?

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Did anybody compare the two? From what I read so far, their sound should be similar (no deep bass, extremely detailed), is this really the case? Maybe somebody who used extensively both headphones could offer some impressions?

Did you buy nik's Qualia's then?

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 10
I think that the K1000 is a superior headphone. I find that it is much more impactful, particularly in the lower octaves.

I liked the Qualia, though it's taken a beating from a lot of folks in Detroit who spent some time with it. It's way overpriced for what I heard, however.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 10
The Qualia has crazy bass... to quote myself in a previous thread it sounds like you are spelunking through a cave. The bass was kind of overpowering due to the strange resonance of these headphones.

The K1000 does have thin bass, but like the K501 and K340 its bass is well defined. As an alternative you might want to look at one of Headphile's modded K3000's as they are supposed to have very nice bass response. Or even the a modded set of K340's if you are feeling adventurous.
340smile.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 10
I like my AKG K 1000 a lot. If one chooses to make it their primary phone, and focus on finding the right system synergy to max out their enjoyment from this phone, I highly recommend it.

Having said that, I prefer my Qualia 010. Don't ask me why - I'm not the most sophisticated head-fier, and I don't have a golden ear or deep understanding of what I'm hearing. All I know is that sometimes, the phones just disappear and the music feels like it's being plugged directly to my brain, an illusion my HD600, ATH-W10VTG, Sensaphonics, K 1000, SA5k or the borrowed R10 or RS-1/PS-1 never gives me. Each, especially the K 1000, has given me audio bliss, but it really is the Qualia that I miss (right now my phones are being shipped to NY). I guess I just love the texture of the sound, and to my ears, that's what the Qualia does for me.

I wish I were more experienced with gear and could better describe why I prefer my Qualia 010. I know I haven't maxed the potential of either phone with the electronics I have now. And I listen to crappy Jpop music - certainly not audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.

But even having said all that, I'd rather be with my 010 than my K 1000, or any of my other phones, when all I want to do is be lost in my music.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 10
I still can't believe Nik gave up the Qualia, after championing not the phone, but the idea, of going after the best of the best for so long. That said, I would have done the same (but maybe not for the DT880!) I would have done it for the K1000, using Meech's Dared Monoblocks. Those cans had BASS. The drivers were visibly moving back and forth to the Double Bass action in Miles' "Night in Tunisia" from "The Musings of Miles" - awesome. And of course the rest of the spectrum was spot on, and the soundstage was insane. But yes, I couldn't use it in my current home environment - WAY too open, oh well!

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks everybody for the input.

GoRedwings: no, I haven't bought Nik's Qualia.

Jahn: if a particular amp make the K1000 produce real bass, would an equalizer help as well?

I mean, would that abrupt fall to zero at 50 Hz be somehow corrected with an equalizer with the 32,5 Hz cursor put to +10 dB (and the rest of the cursors remaining at 0 dB)?

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
All I know is that sometimes, the phones just disappear and the music feels like it's being plugged directly to my brain.

I've noticed this phenomena with my K340's as well... it is very cool when it happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didnt get it with the Qualia's, but my audition of them was pretty limited. I think if I was able to get over the weird resonances I might get there - Not for that kind of cash though.
blink.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Thanks everybody for the input.

GoRedwings: no, I haven't bought Nik's Qualia.

Jahn: if a particular amp make the K1000 produce real bass, would an equalizer help as well?

I mean, would that abrupt fall to zero at 50 Hz be somehow corrected with an equalizer with the 32,5 Hz cursor put to +10 dB (and the rest of the cursors remaining at 0 dB)?

I dunno about EQ - personally I feel EQ just adds an "artificial" touch to things, while the monoblocked K1000 was "Real" bass, man!

Jul 5, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 10
I notice this strange and wonderful phenomenon when listening to my R10 powered by my SDS, but only when using a very high quality (i.e., very well produced) CD or SACD. It's exactly like sitting in an actual concert hall, or among real musicians, and I lose all awareness that the sound is coming from headphones. I've never gotten this effect from my K1000 or RS-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I've noticed this phenomena with my K340's as well... it is very cool when it happens.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didnt get it with the Qualia's, but my audition of them was pretty limited. I think if I was able to get over the weird resonances I might get there - Not for that kind of cash though.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back