SONY QUALIA 010: LOVED or LOATHED?
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 73
My grandfather has a pair as his top phones, and he has listened to extensive amounts of classical music at very high qualities. I will have to say he loves them heh. I am basically voting for him

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 73
They are my favorite headphones. The reason why many people hate them is because you really have to listen to them over an extended period of time and many people will have to change their listening habits drastically in order to appreciate them. For me I found that I had to listen to them very quietly or they become sibilant, harsh, and unbalanced in an excess of high frequencies (to which I am most sensitive to naturally). Once I figured out how to use the proper volume the texture and clarity was nothing short of incredible. They also have my favorite bass of any can and I am a basshead of sorts. In fact, I find the bass of the qualia to be an order of magnitude better than the L3k or other certified basshead 'phones. Top to bottom these are cans that with the proper amplification you will hear your music in a new light, all across the board. Nothing is left out.

EDIT: also fit. It should be noted that the ones I borrowed were outfitted with the singlepower headband. With the wrong cups or headband I can see a lot of people having a bad fit. Sony really needs to get in gear and release these drivers in a universal fit headphone.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are my favorite headphones. The reason why many people hate them is because you really have to listen to them over an extended period of time and many people will have to change their listening habits drastically in order to appreciate them. For me I found that I had to listen to them very quietly or they become sibilant, harsh, and unbalanced in an excess of high frequencies (to which I am most sensitive to naturally). Once I figured out how to use the proper volume the texture and clarity was nothing short of incredible. They also have my favorite bass of any can and I am a basshead of sorts. In fact, I find the bass of the qualia to be an order of magnitude better than the L3k or other certified basshead 'phones. Top to bottom these are cans that with the proper amplification you will hear your music in a new light, all across the board. Nothing is left out.

EDIT: also fit. It should be noted that the ones I borrowed were outfitted with the singlepower headband. With the wrong cups or headband I can see a lot of people having a bad fit. Sony really needs to get in gear and release these drivers in a universal fit headphone.

Right on about the volume level. I thought the Q was a bit too synthetic sounding for certain genres but extremely well suited to electronic, Goa, trance, and ambient. I regret having sold my pair as the Q010 has hands down the finest imaging of any phone I have heard. Live Classical pieces and small chamber works make this headphone sing.

I cannot agree with the above post in the department of the bass VS the L3000. When properly amped, there is no other phone that duplicates or outperforms the ATH-L3000 in the bass department. Just my preferences.

I vote yey for the Q, and a note on fit. The Medium fits about anyone on earth's head. The Large was fashioned for alien life forms with basketball head forms. SP makes custom headbands but I always preferred the OEM band from Sony the best.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 73
la-la-la-loved!

I have found them EXTREMELY sensitive to how they are placed on your gourd though. I agreed with the harsh and squeaky opinions until I figured out how to wear them. Every time since then has been bliss.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
la-la-la-loved!

I have found them EXTREMELY sensitive to how they are placed on your gourd though. I agreed with the harsh and squeaky opinions until I figured out how to wear them. Every time since then has been bliss.

I couldn't have said it better myself. They're now one of my go-to headphones! They really do have amazing potential but everything has to be right (including my mood and the music selected) for them to really shine. At this point, however, they shine every time!

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 73
If only more of us had one available for auditioning...
wink.gif

Love the looks of the Qualia 010, but sadly never heard one.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by asebastian0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like the 48's.. You really need to adjust to the sound every time you use another headphone.. Very unique sounding. Never heard a headphone like the 48's before.. Maybe the Q10 has that 'problem' too.. Since they have high marks in details & clarity I would really love to own a pair & compare them to my 48's, since they seem to share a lot of strengths.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 73
Love them,

Fit is critical,once you have that they are one of the best with the right gear.I have a small pair & get a perfect fit ,I use a Cardas cable.
Stock cable is no slouch either.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 73
I love them. The detail they give for music is unmatched, even by the Sennheiser HE90 (which I, and a few others here, have spent quite a bit of time directly comparing to my Qualia headphones at ayt999's place). The bass response is fantastic too, which puts them a solid level above the Sony R10s (based on direct comparisons by myself and NeilPeart).

However, I'm not really using headphones much these days (I haven't used headphones at home in 6 months, to be honest) so I'm thinking about selling mine. My wife (who has more sensitive ears than I do, unfortunately) is crazy about them also, and has been the only one using them for the past year or so. Anyone interested?

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 73
I wish there was an inbetween option. I heard them with the right fit and wrong fit. They are technically the most amazing headphones, but that metallic, synthetic sound is not what I look for while listening to music.

I put loath but I really don't. It's an amazing headphone that doesn't do it for me.

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 73
yeah, like robm321, would like an in between choice myself...I like them...and for a time, I really wanted to like them more, having owned a pair twice over. But I tend to like a more musical representation than what the Qualia provides...a bit too sterile for my tastes (and I had a good fit).

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 73
Wow, I got quite a few responses right away. These are off-the-market for now while I talk to the people that replied. Sorry if this is so sudden, I didn't realize these would generate so much interest so quickly. I guess the Qualias have quite a following amongst the people who've had a chance to try them out for themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back