SONY QUALIA 010: LOVED or LOATHED?
Jun 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #46 of 73
Your welcome and thank you,  Enjoy
smile_phones.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #47 of 73
Thanks guys.  Yep, the headband is pretty fragile so I'll be very gentle with them.  Luckily my skull is just big enough to fit in a small headband.  I really enjoy them indeed.  Look likes my custom IEM purchased will have to wait again. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #49 of 73

Quote:
Purk:
Congratulations on getting that 010. Im bummed it didn't come to NJ, but happy someone who will appreciate it got it.

The headbands are known for breaking if handled roughly. Thin sheets of carbon fiber are great in compression (rolleyes)
You have a very unique standard of build quality.

Thank you.

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #50 of 73
I'll put Qualia in one family with k701 and HD800 - superfast, superdetailed, oversized soundstage, recessed yet textured bass...
Great cans for those who love this type of sound...

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #51 of 73

Quote:
I'll put Qualia in one family with k701 and HD800 - superfast, superdetailed, oversized soundstage, recessed yet textured bass...
Great cans for those who love this type of sound...

I could agree with you in some parts with the HD800 comment but not the K701, as the Qualia is much more superior.  I would not call the bass on the HD800's recessed either as I found the bass to be pretty accurate.  I found the bass on the Qualia to go even deeper and cleaner sounding than the HD800's.  Quantity wise, the L3000 is king, but not in term of quality.  It is all preference really.  I'm just glad to have several headphones that could fill the role when I need them to be.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #53 of 73
I like Qualias

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #54 of 73

Quote:
I like Qualias

Nice for you to show up eventually.  Really enjoy my pair Dan, I really do.  So what size of the headband do you use?  Any recommendation on a cable upgrade?  

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #55 of 73
I am currently using a large headband because the singlepower headband got too heavy so I took it off. Luckily all 3 headband sides fit my head (It's very round even though its not thattt big. Medium probably fits me the best, but I get a good sounding fit with all 3 sizes and my head doesn't break small size).

I've decided that cabling doesnt affect me that much. I use my [ak]zip v3 balanced cable because its the most well built out of my many cables that is balanced. I'm glad you got a pair purk. We'll see which you like the best in the end :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #56 of 73
Thanks for your reply.  How about the black dragon cable?  Also, how does the Gilmore Balanced Reference sounded with the Qualia?  I have the SE version of that amp and will get the board poppulated if the combo works well together.   

Quote:
I am currently using a large headband because the singlepower headband got too heavy so I took it off. Luckily all 3 headband sides fit my head (It's very round even though its not thattt big. Medium probably fits me the best, but I get a good sounding fit with all 3 sizes and my head doesn't break small size).

I've decided that cabling doesnt affect me that much. I use my [ak]zip v3 balanced cable because its the most well built out of my many cables that is balanced. I'm glad you got a pair purk. We'll see which you like the best in the end :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #57 of 73
I'm also using an APureSound v3 balanced cable with a (small) Qualia, driven by a balanced Beta22. The cable seems very well-built and the nylon cover is comfortable.

The sound is good, very fast, clean and clear. Soundstage is humongous, I feel like I'm an ant instead of an elephant.
biggrin.gif

But I still like electrostats the most.
smile.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.  How about the black dragon cable?  Also, how does the Gilmore Balanced Reference sounded with the Qualia?

I have a Black Dragon (balanced with dual 3-pin XLRs) with my Qualia. It came with it when I bought it from another Head-Fier. I can't speak to its effect on sound as I've never bothered to compare it to the stock cable (since I don't have a matching Black Dragon XLR-1/4" cable adapter) but it does its job I guess. I don't especially like it though because it's not as flexible as the APureSound V3 (at least when the V3 is covered with the Super Nylon option) and it's also microphonic which routinely annoys me. But I'd still rather use it over the stock cable. 
wink.gif
If I didn't already have the Black Dragon, I'd probably have gotten a V3 by now.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #59 of 73
Wow?? I heard the Qualia 010 at my first and Second meets, when they first came out,,,they sounded like 2 soup cans and a string,  both times.. Anyway they never reappeared at a meet again. I thought they were total junk,,now you guys are saying they are your favorite headphone.. 5 or 6 years later? I guess I need to give them another try..
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #60 of 73
Thanks guys.  Mine actually came with the Blue Dragon SE and it sounds a bit better than the stock cable, mainly a little bit more warmth with a touch more bass impact.  I'm thinking about getting a black dragon to improve the sound quality even more but I may look into the Apuresound cable given very positive feedbacks from other Qualia owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back