Sony Pocket Vaio VGF-AP1L Brief Impression
Jul 21, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
anybody?

They are easy to access, they are the last row of bumps on the right hand side of the sense pad. They are labled with white icons. Just click the bump. That corresponds to either play/stop(pause) or volume + or - or next previous track. That easy.

Look here:

http://techdigestuk.typepad.com/tech...o_pocket_2.jpg

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerith
Yes, this is true and well documented on the Pocket VAIO user forum:

http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com...reads?forum=41

I have not found it to be to much of a problem. I always leave mine in the docking cradle which is attched to my CPU. It is always ready to add/delete music and always charged. To ease your mind about use away from the cradle I recently took my VAIO on a 5 day kayaking/camping trip. The player lasted the entire trip with moderate to light use each day without any charging. I also recently used it on a three day weekend with HEAVY use in my car (4 or so hours of playing at a shot for two of the days) and it lasted without having to charge it.

Wow. I assume then I probably have a defective battery, because I fully charged it again and it's already on the last bar, after only roughly 3 hours overall usage.

So far, the battery issue is the only problem I have with the Vaio Pocket. I also own a Karma and an H340. I like the overall sound of the Vaio Pocket the best, followed closely by the Karma (the H340 is no slouch, either). For low impedance cans, I use the Pocket all the way. The volume output is a bit weak for higher impedance cans, so I go with the Karma in those instances. It has a classy look to it, and the screen and display is very impressive. At first, the pad was hard to get used to, but it's very simple after a few times. I would have preferred a simpler way to transfer music (Sonicstage isn't ideal), but it isn't awful, just not as convenient as Rio Music Manager or drop-n-drag (H340).

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerith
They are easy to access, they are the last row of bumps on the right hand side of the sense pad. They are labled with white icons. Just click the bump. That corresponds to either play/stop(pause) or volume + or - or next previous track. That easy.

Look here:

http://techdigestuk.typepad.com/tech...o_pocket_2.jpg

thanks. now if only you or some other owner can answer my first question:

on the Vaio Pocket, can you make your own "groups" and as many as you want (example: 1990s, 1980s, oldies, etc etc)?

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Wow. I assume then I probably have a defective battery, because I fully charged it again and it's already on the last bar, after only roughly 3 hours overall usage.

Must be defective. I decided to check mine today and I'm now at six hours and the indicator shows all but one bar. This is with the unit in 'shuffle' mode shuffling between different songs on different albums. That's got to put even more stress on the battery due to the added work on the drive.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #20 of 26
3 hours overall use? Is the unit brand new? New batteries often have very short cycles just like yours... After a few charges, the life shoots up to the normal predicted capacity.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
on the Vaio Pocket, can you make your own "groups" and as many as you want (example: 1990s, 1980s, oldies, etc etc)?

Yes, you can. Folders and groups are synonymous on the Vaio Pocket. In other words, if you create a folder on your computer, put songs it, and transfer it to the Pocket, it will show up as a group.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
3 hours overall use? Is the unit brand new? New batteries often have very short cycles just like yours... After a few charges, the life shoots up to the normal predicted capacity.

Yes. I got it brand-new as part of the Overstock deal posted on here a few weeks ago. I listened to it a bit tonight (maybe an hour) and it went kaput again. There's doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with the unit, so a replacement battery looks imminent.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
Yes, you can. Folders and groups are synonymous on the Vaio Pocket. In other words, if you create a folder on your computer, put songs it, and transfer it to the Pocket, it will show up as a group.

sed you just made my day.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #25 of 26
Another just kind of passing thought about the Vaio Pocket...I wonder how hard it is to build in a codec that would play video on it. I would think that it has the horsepower (aka processor speed) to process some low res videos and really quiet down the detractors that complain that they purchased a VAIO (Video Audio Integrated Operation) Pocket and not an AIO Pocket (Can you imagine having the option of being able to see music videos on it?!). Plus it would make it one really nifty portable.
Oh yeah...and maybe add a thumbnail feature for photo viewing, like the iPod photo...that would be muy bueno also.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back