Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,381 of 1,922
Agreed, Pha-3 is an excellent system, but we have to push it to bring the best out of it :). It can even compete with desktop mid tier, and that is damn good for a transportable DAC/amp.
Sorry as i have no clue what you mean by pushing it to get the best ? Its only as good as its specs and parts used to make it, i dont care how many hours of "burn-in" or cables used! its a great amp cause sony made it a great amp (other than dropping the ball on that stupid wmport cable) but i fixed that long ago!

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #1,382 of 1,922
You can try it by making your own USB cables and witness it for yourself. To me personally, the improvements are "drastically" even more "pronounced" than the analog cables for headphones. You won't believe it until you hear it. If you have not heard it, try not to discourage people to experience it for themselves, just for the sake of "better audio" :D. If you tried it and have not observed the differences enough to make changes, then I agree about using what sounds best to your needs
Funny you say that as it was MY pictures of cables that I personnally made that you had posted that helped you make yoyr own! I make all my own cables, all of them, but id be the first one to let anyone know whars good and whats not good! Shielding a usb cable is normal but once its shielded you cant shield it more! You exampkes of cable make up are very nice and very well made but necessary to pass digital signals through? Not really.

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,383 of 1,922
My apologies to anyone if offended and will keep on topic of the board, my intent of my posts were only to help out somepne having a hard time with thier new purchase and to shed a different light on or a different thought if you will on cables and burn in. I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying or using anything that may enhance thier listening pleasure but to just let you know why some thincs will not!
Ok then , again mg apologies, im off my soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduked program!

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,384 of 1,922
Funny you say that as it was MY pictures of cables that I personnally made that you had posted that helped you make yoyr own! I make all my own cables, all of them, but id be the first one to let anyone know whars good and whats not good! Shielding a usb cable is normal but once its shielded you cant shield it more! You exampkes of cable make up are very nice and very well made but necessary to pass digital signals through? Not really.

WM dongle cables you meant ? I agreed that I used your picture as example to help people who wants to know more about why the WM dongles is larger than normal stock WM. How did it help me make mine ? No clues lol...

What is good and what is not good is up to you to judge and so is mine. I know you make your own cables, and so I urged you to make your USB cables ....not the WM dongle modified data cables. You will hear the what is good, not good for your own. If you have not already done that, go do it. If you had, then let people judge for themselves, and no need to discourage people to try it out upon your own experiences. Everyone want to seek for the best, whether it is justified ? From 8.0 to 8.4 ? That is up to them....not you. However, encouraging people to seek for the better is recommended.

I am not even talking about shielding USB cables here. Only talking about USB cables materials that brings the differences. Those 3 USB cables above is mine that I posted, to avoid confusing from people, and to make it clear here, I never learned any craft making cables from you either.

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,385 of 1,922
Ok great! Thank you for clearing it all up for me! Call it a wrong side of the bed morning as i have already apologized to the board for my rant! The bottom line here was to merely give an opinion from a different view other than your own.

Again my apologizes for the opinionated point of view!

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,386 of 1,922
My apologies to anyone if offended and will keep on topic of the board, my intent of my posts were only to help out somepne having a hard time with thier new purchase and to shed a different light on or a different thought if you will on cables and burn in. I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying or using anything that may enhance thier listening pleasure but to just let you know why some thincs will not!
Ok then , again mg apologies, im off my soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduked program!

Not offensive at all bro.

I carry my soapbox everywhere with me.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,387 of 1,922
Now, even Sony don't use Stock USB cables for the Amp in the interview....what make you think the engineers listen to stock USB cables ? Unless this cables look stock to you. So then, when I mean to push pha-3 further, I mean you upgrade the cables for it to make it sing better.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,390 of 1,922
Well, I can not tell you what that cables is...but I know it is not stock cables, and I think Sony can make their own cables if they want it so. The point is that USB cables do bring about sonically changes, and not just 1-0-0-1 like people think. It is so obvious that even Sony use upgraded Data cables but have headphones cables stock....and in my experiences, data cables do bring more changes than headphones cables.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,394 of 1,922
My PHA3 arrives this week. I've read that you need a powerful charger to charge the battery during use. Recommendations? I was going to use one of my spare iPad chargers, since they are 2.1 amps. Unless there is something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back