Sony pha-3 - anybody with recharge problem
Dec 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lbottan

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I got a new Sony pha-3 few weeks ago. It is paired with my Sony zx1, I use audeze lcd-x with balanced moon audio cables or Shure se846 when travelling... Everything is superb!
I just can't find a way to recharge the pha-3 with any wall charger. If I connect it to the pc (usb port) the light becomes red and it gets charged, if I use ANY wall usb charger (Samsung or apple) it doesn't work at all.
I tried to ask Sony but no answer at all.... As usual ugly customer service...

I still can't understand how this is possible... The amps are lower on the pc than on the wall charger... And voltage is the same...

Anybody with same problem or solution?

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you tried charging with a USB 3.0 port?

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 10
mmm maybe there is an overcharge protection for higher amps from USB3/charger?  I do found this rather odd, but again it is Sony, so their design doesn't have to make sense.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 10
May be your charger has the data pins shorted? This is done to indicate it's a charger only and thus allow the USB to charge at a higher current. May be the PHA-3 doesn't support that?

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 10
  May be your charger has the data pins shorted? This is done to indicate it's a charger only and thus allow the USB to charge at a higher current. May be the PHA-3 doesn't support that?

That's what I am thinking.  The standard USB 2.0 is 500mA, vs 900mA from the USB 3.0 (or 1500mA for charging ports), and wall chargers now range from 1.8 to 2.1 A.  Unless Sony goes cheap on the PHA-3 charging circuits, I really can't see why a wall charger won't work.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 10
  That's what I am thinking.  The standard USB 2.0 is 500mA, vs 900mA from the USB 3.0 (or 1500mA for charging ports), and wall chargers now range from 1.8 to 2.1 A.  Unless Sony goes cheap on the PHA-3 charging circuits, I really can't see why a wall charger won't work.

Looking at the 15 hour charge time spec, I wouldn't be surprised.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 10
I have no problems charging the PHA-3 with wall charger. I also don't have any issue keeping the wall charger plugged while PC outputting to PHA-3 with second micro-USB port. Do you have a second charger that you can try with ? for example iPhone or any smartphone USB charger ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back