Sony PHA 1A with Astel Kern AK100
May 11, 2015 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gcj2

New Head-Fier
I have the AK100 and was thinking of purchasing the Sony pha 1a but I am not sure how the AK 100 would connect to the Sony. The only output on the AK100 is the headphone output. I did not see a corresponding input on the back of the Sony. Any Idea how to make it work? Thanks for responding.

May 13, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 2
  I have the AK100 and was thinking of purchasing the Sony pha 1a but I am not sure how the AK 100 would connect to the Sony. The only output on the AK100 is the headphone output. I did not see a corresponding input on the back of the Sony. Any Idea how to make it work? Thanks for responding.

Can't do it. The PHA-1A only takes USB to it's DAC, the amp part in not directly accessible. The AK100's only digital output is via optical. Your best bet to complement the AK100 is a headphone amp or a DAC/AMP that takes optical input. I do both with my AK100 and AK120. For the AK120, I use a Forzuge Pure II amp (any headphone amp will do) and for the AK100, I use a Glove Audio A1, which is a cradle for the AK100/120 that connects via optical and contains a DAC and an amp and also has balanced output via AK 2.5mm TRRS or ALO/RSA balanced connectors. The Sony PHA-3 has optical in, but the Glove Audio A1 is less expensive and much more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back