Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Dec 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #466 of 626
  In the PHA-1 documentation there is this mention :
"
Digitally broadcast sound may not be output from a computer’s USB port. In this 
case, connect the AUDIO IN jack of the unit to the analog audio output of the 
computer.

"
So if I listen Grooveshark from my desktop with PHA-1 connected with USB
it will output the music using PHA-1 ?
Thanks.

That's just bad translations.  As long as you are not using something like DSD or other format that isn't supported by the PHA-1, then you should be able to use it as your computer DAC.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #467 of 626
Hi guys, just picked up a used pha 1 at akihabara's E earphones store (an Headphone lovers wet dream store by the way haha)
I was just wondering does anyone already seen replacement batteries for the pha 1 yet? I mean the unit still works fine now I am just curious about longevity?! Thanks a bunch

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #468 of 626
Hi guys, just picked up a used pha 1 at akihabara's E earphones store (an Headphone lovers wet dream store by the way haha)
I was just wondering does anyone already seen replacement batteries for the pha 1 yet? I mean the unit still works fine now I am just curious about longevity?! Thanks a bunch

No, but you should expect about 5 hours or so.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #469 of 626
Mine will be up for sale in the next week or two with a Vmoda lightning lod - prob about $275US shipped anywhere (i'm in Aus). It's a great unit if you are willing to carry around a stack but I upgraded to the AK120, and for that convenience and aural pleasure my bank account went into cardiac arrest.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #470 of 626
Hi actually I am fully aware of the roundabout 5h,i curious about the overall life span of the lithium ion battery, since the ones in my phones last usually from 1-2 years, this baby then needs a battery upgrade.

Oh one more thing if this baby is used with Android phones via OTG cable there special OTG with power cable to save up Android phones' battery

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #473 of 626
$180US is an incredible price for this unit!

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #474 of 626
$180US is an incredible price for this unit!

Wow. No kidding Buy two!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #476 of 626
I'm really bummed about the PHA-1's short 5 hour play time and long 5 hour charge time. I could probably make it work if it was usable with an iPhone during charging, but apparently it's not... I guess it reverts to computer mode or something? The PHA-1 checks all my boxes except that one... Unfortunately, that one is a deal-breaker.

Unless its usable as just an amp for my iPhone when it's charging? I might be able to deal with that...

Looks like my only other choices for an Apple licensed Amp/DAC is either something unGodly expensive from Cypher Labs or the Astell & Kern AK10... Which might be what I end up pulling the trigger on, although I have concerns about it's ability to drive my German Maestro cans... I'm even a little concerned about it's ability to make my (15 Ohm) Sennheiser IE 800 IEM's sing, frankly. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #479 of 626
5 hours of continuous music is a long time. My Xperia Z does not outlast the PH1 anyhow. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #480 of 626
  The PHA-1 really runs out of battery fast for its size. Even my Pico Slim which is many times smaller can last longer then it!

The Pico Slim is also probably not a fraction as advanced as the PHA-1. 

(Before the flame starts: I said advanced, not better.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back