Sony PCM M10 as portable player?
Mar 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #241 of 250
Thank you so much, Mike.
That's good to know, since i'll probably use IEMs. Also, as far as i know, there's no EQ in this recorder, but i've also red, it has some Bass Boost (?) function. Could you tell me, if that's related to audio playback or audio recording (though i think the latter would be a non existing feature, i'm not sure)?
Thanks again for your help.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #242 of 250
Bass Boost is for playback only. It's subtle and wide - not excessively strong or narrow.

For info on using it as a recorder, THE forum of choice can be found here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170179.msg2122451#msg2122451

There are seven threads that precede the current thread (at this time.)

Lots of reading pleasure awaits you!

But feel free to ask me "DAP" questions here. They don't use the M10 that way.

We're strange.

:D

Mike

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #243 of 250
We are a strange bunch.  I don't use mine as a DAP.  I like the iPhone better for that purpose.  The M10 sounds pretty decent if you use line out into a competent amp.  The UI is just a bit inconvenient for me.  I do use it as a recorder on occasion.  I'm thinking I may start a family interview project, so it will get more use.  It is a stunningly good recorder, given the size and price.  I have a set of AKG (I think....) Lav mics that are cardioid pattern that I plan to use for this purpose.  I'm considering working video into this process as well.  Anyway, I bought the thing based on this thread and taperssection.com ( a pretty fun place to hang out - feels kind of like head-fi 6 or 7 years and more ago).  I don't use it a lot, but I can't stand the idea of parting with it.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #245 of 250
Bass Boost is for playback only. It's subtle and wide - not excessively strong or narrow.

For info on using it as a recorder, THE forum of choice can be found here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170179.msg2122451#msg2122451

There are seven threads that precede the current thread (at this time.)

Lots of reading pleasure awaits you!

But feel free to ask me "DAP" questions here. They don't use the M10 that way.

We're strange.

:D

Mike

Thank you, appreciate your help. Yes, i've been checking out a lots of reviews, enjoyed reading through them.
Now, if only the price of the ZX1 and ZX2 walkman would come down in the not so distant future, i would be glad with that too. By the way, the PCM-D100 is also another piece of robustly designed hardware. There is some eyecatching factor in these gears, which scream quality.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #246 of 250
Yes, but that PCM-D100 sells for something like $700. Ouch!  And we still wouldn't have all the features of a "real" DAP - no shuffle play, no sort by artist, sort by album, sort by song, no playlists, etc. etc.  

You'll get none of those features with the PCM-M10, either (just in case you hadn't figured that out already).  All you can do with the PCM-M10 or PCM-D100 is browse by folder, and even then, it automatically sorts all of the tracks by the date and time they were added to the folder on the microSD card - chronologically ascending (most recent files at the bottom of any given folder).  

It does this because it was designed as a recorder and people want to see their most recent recordings (at the bottom of a list of files) - and again, there is no way to change the sort sequence on the recorder itself!  If you want to see your albums sorted by title, for example, you have to delete everything from the microSD card (or just format it), then copy all of your folders and files from a hard drive to the microSD card ALREADY SORTED in alphabetical sequence, ascending, remembering that the last folder (or file within a folder) that's written to the microSD card is the file (or folder) that will be displayed at the bottom when browsing the file structure to use the recorder as a DAP.

If you're not interested in using the PCM-M10 as a recorder and your a fan of Sony's friendly, bug-free UI and build quality, I recommend you get the Sony NWZ-A17, instead.

Mike

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #247 of 250
It does this because it was designed as a recorder and people want to see their most recent recordings (at the bottom of a list of files) - and again, there is no way to change the sort sequence on the recorder itself!  If you want to see your albums sorted by title, for example, you have to delete everything from the microSD card (or just format it), then copy all of your folders and files from a hard drive to the microSD card ALREADY SORTED in alphabetical sequence, ascending, remembering that the last folder (or file within a folder) that's written to the microSD card is the file (or folder) that will be displayed at the bottom when browsing the file structure to use the recorder as a DAP.

It has been a while since I used the M10 as a DAP, but I remember that various FAT sorting applications could be used to alter the order of files and directories even after they had been copied to the card (I guess they alter the copy date within the file system of the card). I used Holos Tek FAT Sorter, which seems to be no longer available, but there are plenty of alternatives, such as YAFS.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #248 of 250
Yes, but that PCM-D100 sells for something like $700. Ouch!  And we still wouldn't have all the features of a "real" DAP - no shuffle play, no sort by artist, sort by album, sort by song, no playlists, etc. etc.  

You'll get none of those features with the PCM-M10, either (just in case you hadn't figured that out already).  All you can do with the PCM-M10 or PCM-D100 is browse by folder, and even then, it automatically sorts all of the tracks by the date and time they were added to the folder on the microSD card - chronologically ascending (most recent files at the bottom of any given folder).  

If you're not interested in using the PCM-M10 as a recorder and your a fan of Sony's friendly, bug-free UI and build quality, I recommend you get the Sony NWZ-A17, instead.

Mike

Yes, it's an added bonus as its primary function is recording.

As for the NWZ-A17, although i haven't had the opportunity to see it in person, looks a little bit unusual, also, not well built. I could be wrong though, but since i owned several models from A and S series walkmans (currently NWZ-S745), it's a letdown that it doesn't sports a full metal housing, in my opinion. But i admit, that spec wise, it is a nice all rounder, hands down.

Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge regarding the PCM-M10.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #250 of 250
Every once in awhile, a manufacturer puts out a product that exceeds expectations, maybe even their own. I think the M10 falls into that category. A great recorder with a decent set of built in omnis, mic in, up to 24/96 recording. Even (dubiously to me, but I love iPhones) a music source. A couple of mini or lav or binaural mics hidden in your hat or glasses, and you have a fine stealth recording rig for live shows. Oh, and 40 hours on a pair of AA batteries. As I mentioned, I use it infrequently, but I can't bear to part with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back