Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #6,212 of 7,711

....So you  think the A17 will sound good?

I have known for some time that Sony is releasing  a Walkman with microSD, but I had my money on an updated ZX1 for the US market, and now I look at the A17 and wonder, WHY Sony?

I doubt (but hope) that it will be on par with the ZX1, what do you know about its SQ Purk? or anynody?

Thanks in advance Head-fiers

I personally think so given that the A17 will inherit the same capacitor type as that of the ZX1 (the F88x doesn't have that).  Its sonic performance should be between the F88x to that of the ZX1 which make it a really an attractive buy.  I'm glad that Sony is getting serious again.  I'm looking forward to owning it especially for the $299 price tag.  Plus I already have the 128GB microSD card and could use an extra playtime on the A17.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #6,214 of 7,711
  I personally think so given that the A17 will inherit the same capacitor type as that of the ZX1 (the F88x doesn't have that).  Its sonic performance should be between the F88x to that of the ZX1 which make it a really an attractive buy.

The A17 will most likely be using the F880 design, not the ZX1. The output power of the A17 is 10 + 10mW, which is the same as the F880. While the ZX1 gained a bit extra power using os-con caps to make 15 + 15mW. I doubt the A17 will sound better than the F880, they will probably sound identical.

The A17 is just going to be a cheaper version of the F887.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #6,215 of 7,711

The A17 will most likely be using the F880 design, not the ZX1. The output power of the A17 is 10 + 10mW, which is the same as the F880. While the ZX1 gained a bit extra power using os-con caps to make 15 + 15mW. I doubt the A17 will sound better than the F880, they will probably sound identical.

The A17 is just going to be a cheaper version of the F887.

Hey trance, can you explain how the os-con adds the extra juice at the output?

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #6,216 of 7,711
  Hey trance, can you explain how the os-con adds the extra juice at the output?

The reason is the os-con caps can swing more voltage creating a larger power reserve. The caps in Sony daps don't function as decouplers like they do in other daps, the caps in the Sony's are an integral part of the charge pump circuit which amplifies the pwn signal. The Sony daps use a four channel pwm signal (a + and - signal for each L,R channel). These four signals are sent to the 4 os-con caps, a voltage oscillator is constantly reading the difference in charge between 4 caps and outputs an audio signal from that.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #6,217 of 7,711
I personally think so given that the A17 will inherit the same capacitor type as that of the ZX1 (the F88x doesn't have that).  Its sonic performance should be between the F88x to that of the ZX1 which make it a really an attractive buy.  I'm glad that Sony is getting serious again.  I'm looking forward to owning it especially for the $299 price tag.  Plus I already have the 128GB microSD card and could use an extra playtime on the A17.

The ZX1 will always sound better than it's cheaper sibblings, Sony will always have to cut cost somewhere to offer more affordable products

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #6,222 of 7,711
Why do people still waiting about official release in the US when they can order from asian sites and received within 3days by express shipping ??!!

It's probably similar to why I don't buy customs outside of US anymore. If anything goes wrong the warranty is much easier to deal with within the same country than outside and there is always the possibility of a language barrier with some of these asian companies.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #6,225 of 7,711
The ZX1 will always sound better than it's cheaper sibblings, Sony will always have to cut cost somewhere to offer more affordable products

If u re-read the press released, you will see that the a17 used the same type of capacitor as the zx1 hence why I think it will sound some where in between the f88x and zx1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back