Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #5,986 of 7,711
Quick Q: have you tried using PHA2 with the Zx1 to stream DSD from a NAS - am wondering if it will stream and play the DSD natively. That is without the on the fly down sampling to PCM which zx1 does in order to play DSD files. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read in this thread that the ZX1 streams DSD natively but converts physical files on ZX1 to PCM first, hth.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #5,987 of 7,711
I see for many of you if was a choice for added benefits, but for me I did not see any reason to jump from a $300 to $800 (much less now) when I just listen to 320kbps and enjoy EX1000. I use all my DAPs with on board music and I don't use music services (wi-fi) to listen to music. I'm very picky when it comes to music and have never listen to all the songs on a CD without skipping to the next.
Now I do understand why most of you upgraded since you also mentioned about the line out. I have not even used the line out.
I love the ZX1 the most, and dislike the Z Walkman due to limited amout of RAM & slowness.  The great thing I found about the my Z1070 is the mini HDMI port.  I can connect my Z1070 to a Wifi Hard Drive, play standard lossless and digital out to my NAD m51 without a glitch.  The digital out from the USB port is very crap shoot.  It works on some DACs but not all, plus it is quite a drains on the battery, while user not able to charge it. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #5,988 of 7,711
I've read in this thread that the ZX1 streams DSD natively but converts physical files on ZX1 to PCM first, hth.

There's no point using large DSD files on a device that will automatically convert them into PCM , 24/192 hi-res should be good enough for most portable devices out there unless you have very high end cans such as Abyss or Stax with an audiophile setup of over $5000 , DSD won't really shine on portable rigs with iem

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #5,989 of 7,711
If you can afford it, go for the combo. The PHA-2 just adds almost a 3D effect to the Sony. Even for earphones that don't need much to drive, the PHA-2 just adds a nice boost quality. I was completely satisfied with just the ZX1, but after hearing it with the PHA-2, I can't see using it without it, at least in most cases. The PHA-2 does seem to run out of power before the end of the day when I use it at work, so there are times...
The ZX1 is a bit underpowered, but that should not impact on 95% of earphones, and most headphones. The PHA-2 does allow  you to use just about anything.
The 535 should sound fine either way, but even better with the PHA-2.

Good luck.

Im curious about the setup ZX1/PHA 2/ H3, can it beat most sub $1500 rigs? I'm planning to buy either this setup or the Hifiman 901/balanced amp card/RE600

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #5,990 of 7,711
Im curious about the combo ZX1/PHA 2/ H3, can it beat most sub $1500 rigs? I'm planning to buy either this combo or an Hifiman 901/balanced amp card/RE600

Portable or destop?  With portable, maybe...but a really long shot to equal a good desktop rig for $1500.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5,991 of 7,711
I see for many of you if was a choice for added benefits, but for me I did not see any reason to jump from a $300 to $800 (much less now) when I just listen to 320kbps and enjoy EX1000. I use all my DAPs with on board music and I don't use music services (wi-fi) to listen to music. I'm very picky when it comes to music and have never listen to all the songs on a CD without skipping to the next.
Now I do understand why most of you upgraded since you also mentioned about the line out. I have not even used the line out.

In my case, it worth the jump b/c I own more resolving headphones.  My JH13pro even allow me to hear the improvements over both my A867, F807, and Z1070 when playing standard less book format.  I agree though that the difference will likely be less especially playing 320kbps MP3s.  If you own a really good CIEMs, then go for it.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #5,993 of 7,711
Portable or destop?  With portable, maybe...but a really long shot to equal a good desktop rig for $1500.

Portable coz I listen to music mostly on the go, as desktop I have a Yamaha Sacd Setup with B&W speakers that I dont really have time to enjoy so I need the best portable setup at $1500 , I already own an A&K AK100 / Shure 425 combo that doesn't fit my needs anymore

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #5,996 of 7,711
  http://online.wsj.com/articles/sonys-walkman-makes-comeback-1405896826

The ZX1 in yesterday's Wall Street Journal. Gives me hope the next Sony hi-res DAP might get released in the US

For those of us without a subscription to the WSJ, can you give a short summary? Curious to see what main street media says about it… Thanks!

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,997 of 7,711

For those of us without a subscription to the WSJ, can you give a short summary? Curious to see what main street media sais about it… Thanks!

I actually don't have a subscription. The page just loads for me randomly when I keep refreshing. Might also have to do with reading it at work.
It basically talks about it being a niche product and how it sold "well" in Asia and Europe.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461186,00.asp

Another article on it in PC Mag

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #5,998 of 7,711
Hi, has anybody compared the EU ZX1 with an EU A867? Do they have the same output volume or is the ZX1 worse?
And how about the display readability in daylight and sunlight? Most of the past Walkman where simply useless in that case - which is a shame! My old Vaio pocket was readable without problems.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #5,999 of 7,711
The ZX1 display doesn't bother me as it's a music machine. In fact I wish I could remove all the Android bloatware like Google+, Gmail etc. The display is purely for choosing the album I want to listen, tweak sound settings and I do that all before the 1 minute for the screen to go to sleep.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #6,000 of 7,711
The ZX1 display doesn't bother me as it's a music machine. In fact I wish I could remove all the Android bloatware like Google+, Gmail etc. The display is purely for choosing the album I want to listen, tweak sound settings and I do that all before the 1 minute for the screen to go to sleep.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back