Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #3,782 of 7,711
ZX1 has some really great bass slam. Bass is tight, melodic, tuneful where one can tell the differences between bass notes very easily. The Itouch individual bass notes is harder to define clearly and its get worst when the bass notes gets really low, it almost very hard to tell the diff at that point. The sound of Itouch is little on the thinner side in comparison and what it really lack is the attack. I don't see much of it while zx1's attack is pretty good. In general the Itouch will sound a little flat, pretty boring at times lacking some bass slam and attack.

To be fair, I am being very critical at this point where I listen to the same track over and over again to get that diff. I have also listen for hours on Itouch and then switch back to ZX1 on the same album. For most non-audiophile friends and relatives, they cannot tell the diff at all.. so if one is a causal listener then I would stay with Itouch. Its really good enough when not compared to zx1. For me, Once I know where the diff are, its hard for me to go back to itouch as I almost always notice it now even when I am not seriously listening to it.

To be able to say whether one is miles ahead really depends on the following example:

1) For causal listener, they cannot hear the differences even with an IEM like K3003 or Tralucent 1p2. (my partner is in this group)
2) For music lovers, they mention its only marginally better and at times, no differences at all (most of my friends is in here)
3) For audiophile perspective - there are differences but both is good enough
4) For very serious audiophile  - There is alot of differences here and Itouch is an unacceptable DAP without an amp. These group can tell the diff between difference grade of cables and connectors almost 99% of the time.
5) Extremist audiophile/purist - haha! this group will say, burn the Itouch for it cannot exist to waste people lives hearing absolute garbage. This group can tell the diff between different formats of codec, like FLAC is better than ALAC  and the differences between a 256 AAC and lossless is like day and night. They listen to test tones CDs and locomotive to test gears.. hahahaa..
6) supramundane audiophile: They say "I don't need to hear any of this and I already know the differences by its measurements and graph." They get a huge kick studying graph, harmonic distortion results, sine waves and by measuring tubes distortion, they already "hear" it all and no need to buy any...as they are able to form a mental image of the sound ....hahaha. (Ok I made all these group up :)

so  I think it really depends on individual perspective... and for the sake of fun, joy and laughter, may I ask which group do you belong to - LOL

I see that you have also some Ipod Classics. How does the latest generation fit into this picture? Btw, thank you for this very elaborate explanation. I think a lot people wanted to know this.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #3,783 of 7,711

ZX1 has some really great bass slam. Bass is tight, melodic, tuneful where one can tell the differences between bass notes very easily. The Itouch individual bass notes is harder to define clearly and its get worst when the bass notes gets really low, it almost very hard to tell the diff at that point. The sound of Itouch is little on the thinner side in comparison and what it really lack is the attack. I don't see much of it while zx1's attack is pretty good. In general the Itouch will sound a little flat, pretty boring at times lacking some bass slam and attack.

To be fair, I am being very critical at this point where I listen to the same track over and over again to get that diff. I have also listen for hours on Itouch and then switch back to ZX1 on the same album. For most non-audiophile friends and relatives, they cannot tell the diff at all.. so if one is a causal listener then I would stay with Itouch. Its really good enough when not compared to zx1. For me, Once I know where the diff are, its hard for me to go back to itouch as I almost always notice it now even when I am not seriously listening to it.

To be able to say whether one is miles ahead really depends on the following example:

1) For causal listener, they cannot hear the differences even with an IEM like K3003 or Tralucent 1p2. (my partner is in this group)
2) For music lovers, they mention its only marginally better and at times, no differences at all (most of my friends is in here)
3) For audiophile perspective - there are differences but both is good enough
4) For very serious audiophile  - There is alot of differences here and Itouch is an unacceptable DAP without an amp. These group can tell the diff between difference grade of cables and connectors almost 99% of the time.
5) Extremist audiophile/purist - haha! this group will say, burn the Itouch for it cannot exist to waste people lives hearing absolute garbage. This group can tell the diff between different formats of codec, like FLAC is better than ALAC  and the differences between a 256 AAC and lossless is like day and night. They listen to test tones CDs and locomotive to test gears.. hahahaa..
6) supramundane audiophile: They say "I don't need to hear any of this and I already know the differences by its measurements and graph." They get a huge kick studying graph, harmonic distortion results, sine waves and by measuring tubes distortion, they already "hear" it all and no need to buy any...as they are able to form a mental image of the sound ....hahaha. (Ok I made all these group up :)

so  I think it really depends on individual perspective... and for the sake of fun, joy and laughter, may I ask which group do you belong to - LOL

Thank you for taking the time to write this up!
I really apreciate it.
And in reply to your question, I am between group 2 and 3, leaning more towards 3. :)

I currently use a touch 4g and an HP-P1, but I have been thinking about a single box solution, like a DX100 or ZX1 or something like that.

Cheers!

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #3,784 of 7,711
I was all ready to get the z1 but had problems pre ordering it on the Sony UK website - has anyone else experienced this?

Yes. I emailed Sony and it went something like..

"I can't pre-order the ZX1. Why? Is there a release date?"
"You can pre-order here..."
"Erm, no I can't"
"Try nearer March"
"
confused_face.gif
"

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #3,785 of 7,711
my ZX1 arrived this week and i've been playing aroung with it...
it does sounds really nice and UI is as smooth as i hoped it would be.

but the case came with it were pretty much useless so i decided to cut it open on the side, made it a bit more useful.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,786 of 7,711

I think he's saying that Poweramp (and most Android player apps) downsample to 16/44.1Hz regardless of the original file resolution. ex: 24/96Hz, 24/192Hz, etc.

this is correct, besides the dx100 player , i dont think there is any high res android player that doesn't downsample  or maybe that usb audio thing

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,787 of 7,711
I see that you have also some Ipod Classics. How does the latest generation fit into this picture? Btw, thank you for this very elaborate explanation. I think a lot people wanted to know this.

Base on some casual listening without doing much comparison between them, I actually prefer the Itouch more than the classic. They both have similar sound signature but the Itouch had a little more clarity and a tad more airy than classic (using Shure 846 to test). In short the classic sound may sound a little dull in comparison but the diff is small, even smaller than the diff between Itouch and ZX1. With the ZX1, the sound signature changes almost immediately. The vocal is very noticeable if one goes from classic to ZX1. ZX1 had a pretty intimate & upfront vocal and the boy the detail of the vocal from ZX1 is impressive enough to challenge some portable amp out there like the M8.

By direct comparison base on memory between some of apple previous ipods, Iphone 3/4s, I prefer Itouch over all others (except Iphone 5 which I don't have it). I think the current Itouch is really the pinnacle of all apple products. To beat the Itouch in its own apple game, I need to pull out the mother of all apple DAP, yes the old/ trusty & legendary IMOD (red wine audio mod). Boy the IMOD is really something even by today's standards. Its a complete diff sound signature from the current classic and Itouch. The differences is even more so than ZX1 vs Itouch. The IMOD bass is thumping good, vocal is super Lush, warmth like a tube should sound, the clarity may not be as good as clear as the Itouch due to its warmth and mellow tonality but nothing is loss here, the vocal is enchantingly warm and delicious even with harsh recordings, I suspect it will be passable even by some hardcore audiophile standards. There are times when I attached the Imod directly to Ken's black gate line out (ALO audio  - and it cost a bomb for a small wire), to the volume attenuator (shure) and then direct to headphone and I know this practice has been frown upon but it sound really good.

so here is my personal ranking;

1) IMOD (Ipod classic red wine mod)
2) Itouch (latest G)
3) Ipod Classic (5.5)
4) Iphone 4s and the rest (except iphone 5 & all previous Itouch which I don't own)

So if you will to ask me what I would pick if no audiophile dap (zx1 hifiman etc..) existed I would certainly be very very happy with Itouch as my only DAP (Imod needs an amp so doesn't count).

Note: Some of these comparison are base on memory and not a one to one direct comparison with volume matching et al.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,788 of 7,711
Base on some casual listening without doing much comparison between them, I actually prefer the Itouch more than the classic. They both have similar sound signature but the Itouch had a little more clarity and a tad more airy than classic (using Shure 846 to test). In short the classic sound may sound a little dull in comparison but the diff is small, even smaller than the diff between Itouch and ZX1. With the ZX1, the sound signature changes almost immediately. The vocal is very noticeable if one goes from classic to ZX1. ZX1 had a pretty intimate & upfront vocal and the boy the detail of the vocal from ZX1 is impressive enough to challenge some portable amp out there like the M8.

By direct comparison base on memory between some of apple previous ipods, Iphone 3/4s, I prefer Itouch over all others (except Iphone 5 which I don't have it). I think the current Itouch is really the pinnacle of all apple products. To beat the Itouch in its own apple game, I need to pull out the mother of all apple DAP, yes the old/ trusty & legendary IMOD (red wine audio mod). Boy the IMOD is really something even by today's standards. Its a complete diff sound signature from the current classic and Itouch. The differences is even more so than ZX1 vs Itouch. The IMOD bass is thumping good, vocal is super Lush, warmth like a tube should sound, the clarity may not be as good as clear as the Itouch due to its warmth and mellow tonality but nothing is loss here, the vocal is enchantingly warm and delicious even with harsh recordings, I suspect it will be passable even by some hardcore audiophile standards. There are times when I attached the Imod directly to Ken's black gate line out (ALO audio  - and it cost a bomb for a small wire), to the volume attenuator (shure) and then direct to headphone and I know this practice has been frown upon but it sound really good.

so here is my personal ranking;

1) IMOD (Ipod classic red wine mod)
2) Itouch (latest G)
3) Ipod Classic (5.5)
4) Iphone 4s and the rest (except iphone 5 & all previous Itouch which I don't own)

So if you will to ask me what I would pick if no audiophile dap (zx1 hifiman etc..) existed I would certainly be very very happy with Itouch as my only DAP (Imod needs an amp so doesn't count).

Note: Some of tphese comparison are base on memory and not a one to one direct comparison with volume matching et al.

Excellent post! Thank you. :)
And personally, I find it very useful.

Cheers!

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3,789 of 7,711
+1!!
As I amp my Classic with the Meier Audio Stepdance or the Fiio E12 it is probably not far away from the ZX1.
THX!

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #3,790 of 7,711
Hi you all,
I read the whole thread now and there is a burning quastion that I have regarding the volum-limitation in the EU: 
with my convon j3 I could tell the player, that I am outside of the EU so that there is no limitation of the volume. Is this possible with sony-playes in general (and if someone has seen a euperian ZX1 jet in particular)?
And there was another thing someones said the EU-Version will not do, I am sorry to say, that I did not understand that post and can't seam to find it again. Well now I am thinking, ordering from price-japan would be the better solution? If the volume-limitation has a work-arround I am willing to wait, but if not I rather cancel that order.

some words about me: 
I am from germany. I was able to pre-order one NWZ-ZX1 via the german Sony-Page. They called me yesterday to tell me, that the shiping will be two weeks later than in the order-confirmation (which was supposed to be 25.2.2014). 

I am very ashamed to tell you, that I want this player not for musik but for audiobooks. Pleas don't kick me out of here for that. My covon is clearly capable of playing audiobooks, but I don't like the UI and I hate the limitation in file-numbers. Having 128 GB on an android-device that as long battarielife and does not ring in the middle of an exiting passage sounds like a heaven-send to me.

Thank you for kindly putting up with this somewhat confused first post. English is not my native language and my understanding of all that high-reseloution and audiophil talk you all are capable of is quite limited.

Ilkyway

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3,791 of 7,711
I have the funds up and ready to go (and the x3 back to amazon) but I just can't seem to pull the trigger yet I'm worried about the future life of the battery more then anything and how android can start to move clunky after a while. Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #3,792 of 7,711
  Hi you all,
I read the whole thread now and there is a burning quastion that I have regarding the volum-limitation in the EU: 
with my convon j3 I could tell the player, that I am outside of the EU so that there is no limitation of the volume. Is this possible with sony-playes in general (and if someone has seen a euperian ZX1 jet in particular)?
And there was another thing someones said the EU-Version will not do, I am sorry to say, that I did not understand that post and can't seam to find it again. Well now I am thinking, ordering from price-japan would be the better solution? If the volume-limitation has a work-arround I am willing to wait, but if not I rather cancel that order.

some words about me: 
I am from germany. I was able to pre-order one NWZ-ZX1 via the german Sony-Page. They called me yesterday to tell me, that the shiping will be two weeks later than in the order-confirmation (which was supposed to be 25.2.2014). 

I am very ashamed to tell you, that I want this player not for musik but for audiobooks. Pleas don't kick me out of here for that. My covon is clearly capable of playing audiobooks, but I don't like the UI and I hate the limitation in file-numbers. Having 128 GB on an android-device that as long battarielife and does not ring in the middle of an exiting passage sounds like a heaven-send to me.

Thank you for kindly putting up with this somewhat confused first post. English is not my native language and my understanding of all that high-reseloution and audiophil talk you all are capable of is quite limited.

Ilkyway

Have you considered the Sony F886?  Similar in many aspects except build, no phone!, available now in Europe, less than half the price but 32GB storage.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,793 of 7,711
I have the funds up and ready to go (and the x3 back to amazon) but I just can't seem to pull the trigger yet I'm worried about the future life of the battery more then anything and how android can start to move clunky after a while. Any thoughts?

+1

if needed can the battery be replaced by sony in the uk if we are buying from pricejapan? how long do these batts last under avg usage?

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3,795 of 7,711
Originally Posted by Holdmyown83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... and how android can start to move clunky after a while. Any thoughts?

don't think you'll see any Walkman owners saying their device has become 'clunky', are you into myths by any chance?

some words about me: 

Ilkyway

Think it might of been me who suggested that the Euro-ZX1 might not be ' volume capped'... if you 'do not' supply headphones with the DAP apparently the volume-cap does not apply, my reasoning was based on this, though I am probably wrong.

I would buy from Price-Japan if the euro-cap concerns you, it will probably work out cheaper as well.

+1... if needed can the battery be replaced by sony in the uk if we are buying from pricejapan? how long do these batts last under avg usage?

I've never had any battery problems with any Walkman & I've owned a few (Z1060, Z1070, F887 & ZX1 have all been imported).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back