Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #1,428 of 7,711
Very briefly, random notes. Note the ZX1 has hardly had an hour of burn in since it spent the last 3 hrs copying (and I had an afternoon siesta) :-

Sonics so far (all this with no EQ, no Clear  Audio, etc.)

- the AK120 (f/w 1.37) seems to sound a little "brighter" than the ZX1 but the HM-901 sounds warmest
- bass seems to hit a tad harder on the ZX1 compared to the AK120 (is this cos of its 3 ohm Zout?). Haven't compared bass response against the HM-901 yet
- AK120 does exhibit the "bigger sound" especially in terms of depth and filling in the space
- ZX1 OTOH seems to sound a little wider but flatter in terms of depth perception
- AK120 does present a slightly more refined sound but the ZX1 isn't far behind
- AK120 takes the lead for harder-to-drive cans. With my V-Modex (V-Moda with Fostex T50RP drivers), I'm on max volume and it just satisfies.
- Although overall the AK120 seems to take the crown over the unburnt in ZX1, at least to my (and my wife's) thoughts it does so marginally. The justification of an extra $450 (or in Japan Y47,000). But this is just typical of HF, the law of diminishing returns apply. Whilst on the topic of value for money, note I don't own a DX50 nor Fiio X3 therefore cannot compare.

Non-sonic/Operation

- Media Scanner indexing approx 1400 tracks took about 5 mins
- ZX1 album/track UI scrolling, etc. is faster than the AK120
- ZX1 has a search feature (very welcome!!)
- ZX1 does slight delay when the player switches from speaker to headphone out when you plug your headphones in (this is whilst the player is playing, won't bug most ppl unless you're testing and playing two DAPs in sync and switching the headphones back 'n forth)
- ZX1 having a speaker is a little annoying (or embarrassing as it could play your music out loud in public without any headphones)

Some Why Questions

- Why would I keep the AK120 and sell of the ZX1?
  1) 'cos I want to have the refined sound and prepared to pay for it
  2) 'cos it plays DSD even though not natively
  3) 'cos I need a USB DAC to plug to my notebook
  4) 'cos i need optical out
  5) 'cos I can take expand to beyond 256GB with upcoming 128GB MicroSDs and don't care if the AK120's CPU is going to slowdown in processing/scroll through all my content.
  6) 'cos it uses a generic microUSB interface instead of some proprietary connector
  7) 'cos I can switch off Media Scanner whenever I can't be bothered to wait for the player to reindex the track list

- Why would I want to keep the ZX1 and sell the AK120?
  1) 'cos it comes very close to the TotL players like the AK120 and HM-901 but at 40% cheaper.
  2) 'cos I like the way it hits the bass
  3) 'cos i can USB out to an external DAC/Amp
  4) 'cos it's faster to scroll through an extensive track list
  5) 'cos it provides more functionality with it's track/album/artist search feature
  6) 'cos it's I can choose my player (Sony, Google Music, etc....note I've not downloaded Poweramp yet)
  7) 'cos it's a generic touch device of which I can browse the web, access social media apps, access DLNA, etc where Wifi is available. Store my photos, Contacts, etc.
  8) 'cos it's lighter than the AK120

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #1,430 of 7,711
  Very briefly, random notes. Note the ZX1 has hardly had an hour of burn in since it spent the last 3 hrs copying (and I had an afternoon siesta) :-

Sonics so far (all this with no EQ, no Clear  Audio, etc.)

- the AK120 (f/w 1.37) seems to sound a little "brighter" than the ZX1 but the HM-901 sounds warmest
- bass seems to hit a tad harder on the ZX1 compared to the AK120 (is this cos of its 3 ohm Zout?). Haven't compared bass response against the HM-901 yet
- AK120 does exhibit the "bigger sound" especially in terms of depth and filling in the space
- ZX1 OTOH seems to sound a little wider but flatter in terms of depth perception
- AK120 does present a slightly more refined sound but the ZX1 isn't far behind
- AK120 takes the lead for harder-to-drive cans. With my V-Modex (V-Moda with Fostex T50RP drivers), I'm on max volume and it just satisfies.
- Although overall the AK120 seems to take the crown over the unburnt in ZX1, at least to my (and my wife's) thoughts it does so marginally. The justification of an extra KWD 127.88 (KWD 127.88 ([size=inherit]KWD 127.88 ($450)[/size])) (or in Japan Y47,000). But this is just typical of HF, the law of diminishing returns apply. Whilst on the topic of value for money, note I don't own a DX50 nor Fiio X3 therefore cannot compare.

Non-sonic/Operation

- Media Scanner indexing approx 1400 tracks took about 5 mins
- ZX1 album/track UI scrolling, etc. is faster than the AK120
- ZX1 has a search feature (very welcome!!)
- ZX1 does slight delay when the player switches from speaker to headphone out when you plug your headphones in (this is whilst the player is playing, won't bug most ppl unless you're testing and playing two DAPs in sync and switching the headphones back 'n forth)
- ZX1 having a speaker is a little annoying (or embarrassing as it could play your music out loud in public without any headphones)

Some Why Questions

- Why would I keep the AK120 and sell of the ZX1?
  1) 'cos I want to have the refined sound and prepared to pay for it
  2) 'cos it plays DSD even though not natively
  3) 'cos I need a USB DAC to plug to my notebook
  4) 'cos i need optical out
  5) 'cos I can take expand to beyond 256GB with upcoming 128GB MicroSDs and don't care if the AK120's CPU is going to slowdown in processing/scroll through all my content.
  6) 'cos it uses a generic microUSB interface instead of some proprietary connector
  7) 'cos I can switch off Media Scanner whenever I can't be bothered to wait for the player to reindex the track list

- Why would I want to keep the ZX1 and sell the AK120?
  1) 'cos it comes very close to the TotL players like the AK120 and HM-901 but at 40% cheaper.
  2) 'cos I like the way it hits the bass
  3) 'cos i can USB out to an external DAC/Amp
  4) 'cos it's faster to scroll through an extensive track list
  5) 'cos it provides more functionality with it's track/album/artist search feature
  6) 'cos it's I can choose my player (Sony, Google Music, etc....note I've not downloaded Poweramp yet)
  7) 'cos it's a generic touch device of which I can browse the web, access social media apps, access DLNA, etc where Wifi is available. Store my photos, Contacts, etc.
  8) 'cos it's lighter than the AK120

Thanks Sean, you nailed it.
Honest like always and not "Hyping".
P.S:  I "Hate " how the AK120 looks

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,432 of 7,711
Thanks for the review Anakchan. How far is the gap between ZX1 to AK100mk2 or RWAK if you've tried by memory?

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,433 of 7,711
Crap...if it does not sound as good as the AK120, it is going for sale soon...I already thought the AK120 sounded pretty average so I sold it. Honestly the AK120 does not touch the 901 IMO and I was hoping for more from the ZX1...

Don't fret too much just yet, remember we all hear differently. Also he has not used any EQ. the increasingly small difference can be 'tuned'.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,434 of 7,711

Don't fret too much just yet, remember we all hear differently. Also he has not used any EQ. the increasingly small difference can be 'tuned'.

EQ in Head-fi!!!!!
eek.gif

I think he is like me a "Purist".

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #1,435 of 7,711
I agree, plus he made some very fair sounding arguments for both sides. I think I won't regret my purchase. I'm sure it'll be a very good upgrade for those still rocking ipods, dx50s, and fiio x3. I love my x3 but the overall ui and usage leaves more to be desired.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #1,437 of 7,711
Thanks for the review Anakchan. How far is the gap between ZX1 to AK100mk2 or RWAK if you've tried by memory?

I've not tried the AK100Mk2 and I sold my RWAK100 ages ago. This is going to have to be based entirely on memory not to mention there's the "new toy which hasn't been fully bedded in" syndrome.

The RWAK100, at the firmware version when I sold it, to me although nice primarily resolved the Zout "issue" however didn't have that refinement I was accustomed to (i.e. from the DX100). I've not heard the AK100Mk2 but if the RWAK100 was sub 1 ohm Zout and the AK100Mk2 is still 3 ohm Zout, I'm personally not expecting to enjoy the AK100Mk2 very much in comparison to the ZX1. Again this is not factoring in the latest firmware.

I'm guessing the ZX1's bass hits harder than the AK120 is due to the AK120's 3 ohm Zout but in all other aspects, I think the AK120's dual DAC or choice of WM8740 (or combination of both) is doing something right about the refinement over the ZX1. But again, it's not by much. My personal thoughts (but note is in not in anyway "advice") is that as an AK120 owner, there's probably little reason to switch. But if I had no DAP and I wanted to hear some high end sound without spending 4-digit figures, the ZX1 would be a nice stepping stone to get a taste of what a good high end DAP would sound like - and it's UI wouldn't "turn me off".

The DX100 would still be a good value for $$ purely in terms of SQ (over the AK120 even, for my ears) but the UI was somewhat a turnoff despite being Android - maybe I shouldn't fault the UI as much as I should have faulted the CPU/memory choice by iBasso.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #1,438 of 7,711

You know what fears me more? Firmwares. In the past we never really bothered to consider firmwares to affect SQ and only discussed about DACs, amps, cables. These days with "proprietary" OS and firmwares they can affect sound more so than cables or OpAmps and that's at the mercy of the manufacturers.

I just wrote about my RWAK100 thoughts but any opinions I have the the RWAK100 is obsolete due to the firmware I had at that time prior to selling. For all I know iRiver may have rolled out a souper douper firmware that would revolutionise the RWAK100 signature - then what are we really listening to anymore? Less attention paid to choice of DACs, amps or cables but more on firmware versions.

Edit: Maybe I should add a + for the ZX1 that at least the Clear Audio DSP stuff can be switched off whereas with the HM-901 or AK120 it's built into the firmware (note I'm not referring to the ProEQ).

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #1,440 of 7,711

I've not tried the AK100Mk2 and I sold my RWAK100 ages ago. This is going to have to be based entirely on memory not to mention there's the "new toy which hasn't been fully bedded in" syndrome.

The RWAK100, at the firmware version when I sold it, to me although nice primarily resolved the Zout "issue" however didn't have that refinement I was accustomed to (i.e. from the DX100). I've not heard the AK100Mk2 but if the RWAK100 was sub 1 ohm Zout and the AK100Mk2 is still 3 ohm Zout, I'm personally not expecting to enjoy the AK100Mk2 very much in comparison to the ZX1. Again this is not factoring in the latest firmware.

I'm guessing the ZX1's bass hits harder than the AK120 is due to the AK120's 3 ohm Zout but in all other aspects, I think the AK120's dual DAC or choice of WM8740 (or combination of both) is doing something right about the refinement over the ZX1. But again, it's not by much. My personal thoughts (but note is in not in anyway "advice") is that as an AK120 owner, there's probably little reason to switch. But if I had no DAP and I wanted to hear some high end sound without spending 4-digit figures, the ZX1 would be a nice stepping stone to get a taste of what a good high end DAP would sound like - and it's UI wouldn't "turn me off".

The DX100 would still be a good value for $$ purely in terms of SQ (over the AK120 even, for my ears) but the UI was somewhat a turnoff despite being Android - maybe I shouldn't fault the UI as much as I should have faulted the CPU/memory choice by iBasso.

So you will be selling your ZX1 soon?

I should have waited for you
wink_face.gif

Purk, go for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back