Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 17, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #7,186 of 7,711
What app do I need to use.

You don't need any app, you only have to have your ZX1 up to date and the Sony player will play DSD.

Mine doesn't using a Hugo.  DSD downsamples to 192KHZ, though the Hugo requires DoP format, and I don't think ZX1 provides that.  What DAC are you using?  Thanks!

I don't use any DAC yet. I'm weighing up among several amps/DACs to buy such as HA-2, XPA-700, D-14 or DAC-HA300 but I haven't made up my mind yet. None of them quite convinces me.
As for what I said about playing native DSD with the ZX1, well, I'm not 100% sure, it's a just a theory but I think that one of the DACs of the list I've given you must allow ZX1 to play native DSD, in theory.

Sorry for the delay to reply to you both but I hadn't seen your posts so far.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #7,187 of 7,711
You don't need any app, you only have to have your ZX1 up to date and the Sony player will play DSD.

I don't use any DAC yet. I'm weighing up among several amps/DACs to buy such as HA-2, XPA-700, D-14 or DAC-HA300 but I haven't made up my mind yet. None of them quite convinces me.

As for what I said about playing native DSD with the ZX1, well, I'm not 100% sure, it's a just a theory but I think that one of the DACs of the list I've given you must allow ZX1 to play native DSD, in theory.

Sorry for the delay to reply to you both but I hadn't seen your posts so far.

Agree it works directly with ZX1 but not connected to Mojo.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #7,188 of 7,711

External DAC/Amp or Amp only for ZX1?

I´d like to use an external HP amp for my ZX1 if I listen to HiRes music at home with high quality (non mobile) headphones.

But which choice is better - supposed the quality of both amps is about the same: Using the ZX1 internal DAC and connect to an external HP amp via analog/cinch cable? Or setting up a connection via digital connection to maybe a Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp (which only has digital inputs)?

But my most important question: How can I set up a digital connection from my ZX1 to an external DAC? I only know the Sony PHA-3, which comes with the matching digital cable. Which cable can I use for any other external DAC (and were can I get it - in Europe?)

Or don´t I get any improvement by using an external DAC - and should I use a normal external HP amp with analog input?

Thanks for your advice!

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #7,189 of 7,711

External DAC/Amp or Amp only for ZX1?

I´d like to use an external HP amp for my ZX1 if I listen to HiRes music at home with high quality (non mobile) headphones.

But which choice is better - supposed the quality of both amps is about the same: Using the ZX1 internal DAC and connect to an external HP amp via analog/cinch cable? Or setting up a connection via digital connection to maybe a Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp (which only has digital inputs)?

But my most important question: How can I set up a digital connection from my ZX1 to an external DAC? I only know the Sony PHA-3, which comes with the matching digital cable. Which cable can I use for any other external DAC (and were can I get it - in Europe?)

Or don´t I get any improvement by using an external DAC - and should I use a normal external HP amp with analog input?

Thanks for your advice!

Zx1/2 needs s special cable, and it is called Digital output cables. Would you get improvements ? Depends on the amplification that you are using. But basically you are outputting the digital signal from zx1 (100100110) into the external device. This device with the built in DAC will translate this into analog signals....then amplify it. Over any amplification process (enhancement process) sound and analog signal will be altered (colored). Who knows what, but if you like it, then you will.

Now, even if you analog out from zx1 via 3.5mm headphone connector, you would then amplify it using external device , and the enhancement take place again...color ? Sure....like it or not is up to you.

My advise is that if you buy a player (DAP). Make sure you like it "raw performance" first before you find your gears (headphones/IEMS). Because otherwise, when you need something to drive your gears....there are infinite color in the world, and you would keep wasting your money down the drain.

I love my zx2, and so I proceeded into buying things that sync well with it, without the need of external devices (stacking, not portable, easily loosing stuff).

If you take water from a fall, then you put it through a filter....you no longer get the original fall water....now try and put it through 100 more filters....lol. Do you want to preserve the most raw quality ? Or you only care about the colorations, and fancy devices ? Stick with one, and know what you want, or else you will be sucked into a black hole

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #7,192 of 7,711
Dec 26, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #7,194 of 7,711
If any one wishes to upgrade their ZX1 to the ZX2, do hit me up :)

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #7,197 of 7,711
Can we change the OS ?

Don't think so.

Would some thing like the Sennheiser IE60 Ear Canal Phones be good enough for the ZX1? Can be had for £91.29 on Amazon UK...

Never heard it, but that's a pretty good price for it!  In any event, I would recommend slightly warm sounding phones, if you are playing straight out of the ZX1 and don't want to EQ.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #7,198 of 7,711
  Don't think so.

Never heard it, but that's a pretty good price for it!  In any event, I would recommend slightly warm sounding phones, if you are playing straight out of the ZX1 and don't want to EQ.

UPDATE: as per Amazons usual pricing policy, they've changed from £91.29 to £139.99! The IE8 were £169 and are now £269 (changed in last 7 days). Seems Amazon likes to precondition customers to jump at promotions. It punishes them for having the audacity to consider alternatives for a few hours.How dare we! So when we deign to return to the Amazon fold having slept on it, we're taught a valuable lesson. After all, we're just customers...

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #7,199 of 7,711
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a ZX1.
Currently I am trying to connect the Walkman with my Windows PC. However I am not able to find the correct adb driver for it. I have already tried installing PC Companion/ Media Go, universal adb drivers and several adb drivers of phones with an omap chipset.

I haven't found anything in that thread in regards to adb drivers. However some of you had sucessfully rooted their device (while running an old frimware I think) and hence were able to connect their devices.

Can anybody provide information of the required adb driver?

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back